Caribou Gear Tarp

single rifle

Several good points.

I really like that stock. My #1 has a pretty nice piece of walnut but I like the laminate stock look.
Thanks! Super happy with that stock as it is actual wood and NOT a laminate. I think for my next rifle (bolt action) i will go with the gloss walnut as i luv that classic look. Cant decide.... 270, 308 or 300 WM.

Thanks! Super happy with that stock as it is actual wood and NOT a laminate. I think for my next rifle (bolt action) i will go with the gloss walnut as i luv that classic look. Cant decide.... 270, 308 or 300 WM.
That is indeed a gorgeous rifle!!
Better to get a 300 RUM. Helps keep mtmuley happy!! :D:

Johncushman,
As always, you are a beast! :D:

Europe,
A coworker has the modern equivalent. Savage model 24, in 222 Rem Mag over 20 ga.
He's taken many deer and turkey with that gun.

Browning 1885 high wall 7mm mag. This gun is a tack driver. Bought it 25 years ago for $ 450 from a guy who hunted in grizzly country and didn’t feel comfortable with a single shot. It’s killed elk,deer,antelope and hogs.

Beware, not all "highwalls" are created equal. Those that are shooting rimless cartridges like 6.5 MBs or .270s, 7 mm, etc are doing so in a rifle that has only superficial resemblance to an original highwall. The externals are actually fairly different and the internals are wholly different. Although an excruciatingly few 1885s were built in the rimless .30-06 cartridge (and shipped to England iirc), the original 1885s were basically for rimmed cartridges only. Winchester did use the early 1885 as a test bed for almost all of their cartridge development in the early 20th century, but they did not sell rifles in those calibers. If you are building a rifle, keep that in mind.

The original 85 can be field stripped in a minute, two at most with a single small screwdriver. The modern rifles are a bit of a nightmare to take apart and much more so to reassemble - or so I am told. Definitely not a simple job to be done in camp.

If you want to build that special rifle from scratch, with modern steel, absolute best machining tolerances and still have any one of several exceedingly sexy American or British actions. Steve Earle is your guy. These are best of the best. Build a Fraser or a big or medium Wesson for your favorite cartridge. http://www.steveearleproducts.com/index.htm. Or make it the best of the very best, a modern made true to the last detail Winchester 1885 from Montana Vintage Arms, in any configuration you want (including take down I think). https://montanavintagearms.com/winchester-parts/

Stock it with California-English walnut wood from Cecil Fredi https://www.gunstockblanks.com/

And you will have a walking-talking heirloom ready to go.

You ain't getting younger...
Brent

Thank you Brent. I wrote down this information and have mailed it to my son as he does have an interest and has some of these types of firearms

To anyone/everyone: I know I am old but isn't the post by MaddH, number 25 above---"sacrilegious " (-:

I hope all of you get a chance to hunt with a single. They carry so easy, balance well, give up nothing in accuracy, and they have lots of history and are lots of fun to search for, fix, shoot, and everything else.
Question to whomever,
Single shots are pretty darn elegant though a question from one who's only experience with single shot comes from a Hawkins project build.

Why a single shot while hunting? I understand the immersion into the historical side of the old Sharps and Hawkins type rifles though for modern single shots? Accuracy? Sure though of the rifles in my vault, my simple Savage 111 stock is dialed in. I have additional shots ready, etc. Keep looking up the various mentioned single shot rifles and wow! They are good looking!
Is it for the added decisive one shot, one kill or the desire to step outside the generic bolt actions?

They are awesome looking! It's quite apparent there is a quality following behind single shots. This is not a knock for any reason. Why the desire for a single shot for hunting?

Question to whomever,
Single shots are pretty darn elegant though a question from one who's only experience with single shot comes from a Hawkins project build.

Why a single shot while hunting? I understand the immersion into the historical side of the old Sharps and Hawkins type rifles though for modern single shots? Accuracy? Sure though of the rifles in my vault, my simple Savage 111 stock is dialed in. I have additional shots ready, etc. Keep looking up the various mentioned single shot rifles and wow! They are good looking!
Is it for the added decisive one shot, one kill or the desire to step outside the generic bolt actions?

They are awesome looking! It's quite apparent there is a quality following behind single shots. This is not a knock for any reason. Why the desire for a single shot for hunting?

For me anyways, the single shot i feel makes you more aware/dedicated to the game your hunting. It drives home that necessity for one good well placed shot.
Your not gonna be blasting away at an animal that's running.
It's a different mindset.
I often load only one round in my bolt guns when i hunt.

For me anyways, the single shot i feel makes you more aware/dedicated to the game your hunting. It drives home that necessity for one good well placed shot.
Your not gonna be blasting away at an animal that's running.
It's a different mindset.
I often load only one round in my bolt guns when i hunt.

I believe the keyword above is "mindset" and I agree. Although I dont use a single shot I do have a "mindset". All animals, or most anyway, are taken for food and income whether via hunting or trapping. If I have taken time away from whatever I was doing or should be doing, I want to make sure that time produces results, whether it takes one shot or two. Hides are important, and I prefer no time lost via tracking a wounded animal, so definitely one shot is always preferred regardless of what rifle one is using, but if two is required so be it. Also, where one hunts makes a difference as we never leave the house without the possibility of crossing paths with a white or brown bear. However, I witnessed a fellow using and reloading a double ( at a range, not hunting ) and he got off four shots faster than the other fellow did with a bolt. Maybe with practice one can get off two shots from a single as fast also, but I dont know that. Has anybody witnessed two shot from a single vs two shot's from a bolt, or tried it themselves with someone timing them ?

It’s not hard to get off two shots. I typically carry a second shell between my fourth finger and pinky. Only time I’ve ever needed it was when I was shooting multiple animals at once ( such as hogs ) and it went smoothly

It’s not hard to get off two shots. I typically carry a second shell between my fourth finger and pinky. Only time I’ve ever needed it was when I was shooting multiple animals at once ( such as hogs ) and it went smoothly

This ^^^^^

With a little practice you can get 2 or 3 shots off not much more slowly than a bolt freehand in the field. I use a minimalistic elastic band cartridge holder on the side of the action that holds 2 rounds so I am not fumbling in my pockets or carrying one loose.

My first serious rifle was a 25 naught-six #1. Of the many pigs and a good number of white tails I don't recall having to follow up... but time to recharge would not have been an issue. Still remember handling the first one I ever saw and still think they're the most elegant hunting tool made. Sure a Dakota is gorgeous but, to me, it's only a jewelled and gentrified copy of William Ruger's masterpiece.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back