MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

September 1st ? ? ?

If you go in on horseback or foot several miles for us that is 16 miles on horse its not feasible to carry all that ice and coolers.

and that is fine, but guess what a couple of coolers in the vehicle full of ice at the trailhead is alot better than not having none at all and having too drive back too the processor in the heat... that was my point.... unless of coarse you helicopter in...... I said a couple of coolers full of ice in the truck.....:W:
Matt

I'm all about getting out there earlier. It doesn't surprise me about the success guys have had on here. I'm no expert, but the bulls do seem crazier and more vulnerable this time of year. Shot mine on the 7th last year and it was in the mid 70s. I think they are more predictable around wallows too. Just my two cents.

Vocalisation from males i believe is more related directly to the estrus cycling of the females, whether it is stinking hot or cold, if there isn't any cows/hinds cycling then either the bulls are elswhere or relatively quiet waiting for one start as he goes searching and checking them out.
And the estrus cycling is controlled by external factors, length of daylight and 2nd and 3rd cycles if they get that far without being conceived...often they are still going well, just people aren't in the zone to hear them.

Gotta agree with this. I think it's more triggered by the shortening of the days. In otherwords it's photoperiodic and caused by the ratio of light and dark. It's pretty predictable within 5 to 10 days of the first day of fall. At least from what I've read. Thinking back on it, the bulls were insane during extremely hot days and guys were seeing a lot of pre-rut activity everywhere, The Breaks, the mountains, you name it. So get out when you can basically and hopefully early. :)

and that is fine, but guess what a couple of coolers in the vehicle full of ice at the trailhead is alot better than not having none at all and having too drive back too the processor in the heat... that was my point.... unless of coarse you helicopter in...... I said a couple of coolers full of ice in the truck.....:W:
Matt

sorry misunderstood you fortunately i live 30 minutes from trailhead.I process my own elk so i dont have to drive to town also .

I'm all about getting out there earlier. It doesn't surprise me about the success guys have had on here. I'm no expert, but the bulls do seem crazier and more vulnerable this time of year. Shot mine on the 7th last year and it was in the mid 70s. I think they are more predictable around wallows too. Just my two cents.

I agree with this, I just seem to have more encounters earlier in the season, even though many more experience guys will tell me not to bother till the 15th or later. I like hunting unpressured or "less pressured" elk. They've heard less man-made calls, and seen less 2 leggers walking through their yard.

sorry misunderstood you fortunately i live 30 minutes from trailhead.I process my own elk so i dont have to drive to town also .

I live 2 hours away from my hunting areas, but I also process all my own game, just added a slicer too make lunch meat out of some roast... Can't wait too try that out...:D
Matt

I live 2 hours away from my hunting areas, but I also process all my own game, just added a slicer too make lunch meat out of some roast... Can't wait too try that out...:
Matt

We have one also and my wife loves sliced elk sauted in onions and garlic like philly cheesteaks.

We bought it out at cabelas same with the grinder . I know its a little expenseive compared to other ones but it holds up and when you do 2 elk 2 deer maybe an antelope you put them throught the paces. The slicer works good u just need to freeze the meat a little so it runs thru without binding. She makes them philly cheessteaks with that meat and makes you want to slap ur momma.

Back