Elk hunting fort peck Mt

king13

I shot my first bull elk last year in MT 621. It was tough scouting but I’m happy I got my elk. My friends and I talking are thinking of moving to fort peck for elk. My family has hunted it years ago but it has been a while. I am only wondering about anyone’s recent thoughts on the area for elk and what you think, but would love to hear stories or anyone’s personal thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Fort peck offers a lot of access. It is best hunted by canoe.

I don't know about the OP, But more than once I have run into hunters in 704 that had no idea they where hunting in a draw area.
I had a friend archery hunting out in 704 a couple of yrs ago and he texted me a video of some cows/calves over a water hole. I asked him if he shot. He said he was waiting for a bull. I asked if he drew the permit for that area as I was pretty sure he just had a general tag. He had no clue about the permit. I looked up his profile and sent him a screenshot. It was his first yr hunting MT so he went on a rant about how complicated things are out there. Hasn’t been back….lol.

I had a friend archery hunting out in 704 a couple of yrs ago and he texted me a video of some cows/calves over a water hole. I asked him if he shot. He said he was waiting for a bull. I asked if he drew the permit for that area as I was pretty sure he just had a general tag. He had no clue about the permit. I looked up his profile and sent him a screenshot. It was his first yr hunting MT so he went on a rant about how complicated things are out there. Hasn’t been back….lol.
I was talking to a guy form SD on the Custer just this fall. Tells me he was hunting at White Sulfur, but there was too many people so he left. I told him you couldn't hunt both places. His reply was "I guess I am bear hunting if some one asks"'. I had just seen the warden and tried to call him, but with our limited cell coverage I wasn't able to contact him for hours. Not sure if he ever caught up with the guy.

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy from SD on the Custer just this fall. Tells me he was hunting at White Sulfur, but there was too many people so he left. I told him you couldn't hunt both places. His reply was "I guess I am bear hunting if some one asks"'. I had just seen the warden and tried to call him, but with our limited cell coverage I wasn't able to contact him for hours. Not sure if he ever caught up with the guy.
With all of the ways to view the regs(hard copy, FWP website, onx/etc) there is really no excuse. I’m sure the wardens have heard it all.

I was talking to a guy form SD on the Custer just this fall. Tells me he was hunting at White Sulfur, but there was too many people so he left. I told him you couldn't hunt both places. His reply was "I guess I am bear hunting if some one asks"'. I had just seen the warden and tried to call him, but with our limited cell coverage I wasn't able to contact him for hours. Not sure if he ever caught up with the guy.
Seen/heard that one used more than once.

With all of the ways to view the regs(hard copy, FWP website, onx/etc) there is really no excuse. I’m sure the wardens have heard it all.
No doubt and I 100% agree! Having said that Montana's regs are a hot mess compared to other states. I could only imagine how confused a newbie could be. Hell most people can barely navigate the draw mess now.

I could never understand why people think MT regs are tough. In the pamphlets they provide a map with the unit number and then the units are listed and regs broken down. I hunt a fair number of other states and to me most of them are much harder to figure out.

Technically he could have been hunting a cow or spike on the custer...

I agree with @phutch30. The MT regs are not that difficult if you will take the time to read them. I've seen other states that are way more complicated. Do I think they could be improved? Absolutely.

I agree with @phutch30. The MT regs are not that difficult if you will take the time to read them. I've seen other states that are way more complicated. Do I think they could be improved? Absolutely.
The issue doesn't seem to be the regs here but ability to read and read a map. Never had the need to hunt up there but it can't really be different than Wyoming with 100+ areas and 7 types of tags with general seasons interspersed with the type 1 seasons. Its either an issue of being lazy or not really wanting to know to feign ignorance.

For the out of staters that spend years drawing a tag and spend so much license wise exc. to get here with all their e-scouting and planning its hard to imagine them not knowing where they can hunt.

Luckily, no one casual is going to show up where I go. I've run into some guys' camps whose "resident guide" seems to living it up in town. I don't worry too much about those guys though. I just assume that the wilderness knows they don't have six months as a true resident and will swallow them up quick anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back