Ryan Busse for Governor?

He is openly connected to or part of Giffords' organization, and earlier this year she apparently said in an interview she wants all guns banned.
He's a senior advisor. The org itself advocates for stricter gun laws, not necessarily outright bans. I'm not surprised Gabby Giffords, who was shot in the head campaigning in Tucson, wants to see all guns banned, personally. Getting shot in the head probably changes one's thinking on the issue (literally and figuratively).

Most Montana Democrats are gun owners (given that at least 65% to 90% of the population owns guns, depending on the source, this is not a guess). If MT Dems are for any form of gun control, they fall in the same category of Mr. Busse: they believe in modest, reasonable restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms in the same way we restrict free speech (can't yell "Bomb" in a courthouse), religion (can't sacrifice goats in the street), and other constitutional rights. Almost all of our constitutional rights are subject to some form of restriction for the benefit of society, under the legal standard of "strict scrutiny; or "narrowly tailored to serve a compelling government interest." Guns are really the only exception and are the most loosely regulated of all of our other constitutional rights.

For those reasons, I don't think he's going to struggle with dems in MT. The democrats that are truly "anti-gun" are the ones out-of-state, which could affect his funding.
I agree with your premise that Busse won’t have a hard time with Dems. He has some positive attributes as a MT dem, however his work with Giffords is gonna be a huge hurdle. But do you really believe guns are the most loosely regulated of all constitutional rights? NFA restrictions, background checks, form 4473, CCW, etc. And then look at additional regulations in states like CA, CO, NY- red flag laws, waiting periods, magazine bans, 21 year old requirements, licensing requirements, etc. I would say right to bear arms is much more restricted than say freedom of speech. And to say Busse and his Giffords backers support “modest, reasonable restrictions” may be a serious stretch for some folks. And entirely subjective…..

I agree with your premise that Busse won’t have a hard time with Dems. He has some positive attributes as a MT dem, however his work with Giffords is gonna be a huge hurdle. But do you really believe guns are the most loosely regulated of all constitutional rights? NFA restrictions, background checks, form 4473, CCW, etc. And then look at additional regulations in states like CA, CO, NY- red flag laws, waiting periods, magazine bans, 21 year old requirements, licensing requirements, etc. I would say right to bear arms is much more restricted than say freedom of speech. And to say Busse and his Giffords backers support “modest, reasonable restrictions” may be a serious stretch for some folks. And entirely subjective…..
That is an excellent point. It is highly subjective. For most 2A Montanans, even a whiff of any gun regulation has them ready for war.

But yes, guns are very loosely regulated, and that isn't a matter of opinion. This is based upon the number of supreme court decisions that have come out of those regulations over the last couple hundred years of our history. There are incredibly few, relative to free speech, which has been one of the most heavily regulated... and thus litigated... rights we have.

Perhaps the only right that is less regulated is the 3rd Amendment. Nobody cares about being forced to quarter foreign troops.

For those who are open-minded, this is interesting. I don't think he would make the best President, as inflation would soar, and affect the lower and middle classes the most, but at least he's honest. He's stuck in the 60's (and who, honestly, wouldn't be if your father was assassinated for his beliefs), and thinks that giving poor people money solves all problems. Thomas Sowell pretty conclusively destroys that argument. Still, he's more honest than the other Democratic candidates, and spot on about issues like pollution, the FDA-Big Pharm Industrial Complex, the Military Industrial Complex and endless wars. He clearly states that the Democratic Party has lost its way. And, if I had to choose between Trump and RFK Jr. I might have a hard time. DeSantis? Easy.

Last edited:
That is an excellent point. It is highly subjective. For most 2A Montanans, even a whiff of any gun regulation has them ready for war.

But yes, guns are very loosely regulated, and that isn't a matter of opinion. This is based upon the number of supreme court decisions that have come out of those regulations over the last couple hundred years of our history. There are incredibly few, relative to free speech, which has been one of the most heavily regulated... and thus litigated... rights we have.

Perhaps the only right that is less regulated is the 3rd Amendment. Nobody cares about being forced to quarter foreign troops.

Good points though as we know, 1st Amd includes more than free speech, such as freedom of association and religion, and freedom of movement. Political donations which I guess is free speech, so definitely lots of litigation over things like freedom of and from religion, as well as whether and how much PACs can contribute to political candidates.

While my constitutional history is super rusty, the bill of rights was to prevent too much government regulation of certain rights deemed. Regardless, thankfully some of those rights were expanded, like giving more people the right to vote.

Fox 16...
Sorry to be the nerd, but that was a 20ga. (Yellow Hulls). Also- it's not a Fox. It's a 20ga, box lock, vented rib, single trigger, selectable barrel, beaver tail forend, in the white. Not expensive, my gut tells me it's Turkish. Higher grade than Huglu, but not Italian, not American, not German, Spanish, or Belgian.

Sorry to be the nerd, but that was a 20ga. (Yellow Hulls). Also- it's not a Fox. It's a 20ga, box lock, vented rib, single trigger, selectable barrel, beaver tail forend, in the white. Not expensive, my gut tells me it's Turkish. Higher grade than Huglu, but not Italian, not American, not German, Spanish, or Belgian.
Of course the little coward shoots a 20 gauge…😂

If you haven't seen these, you might be interested...

Last edited:
For those who are open-minded, this is interesting. I don't think he would make the best President, as inflation would soar, and affect the lower and middle classes the most, but at least he's honest. He's stuck in the 60's (and who, honestly, wouldn't be if your father was assassinated for his beliefs), and thinks that giving poor people money solves all problems. Thomas Sowell pretty conclusively destroys that argument. Still, he's more honest than the other Democratic candidates, and spot on about issues like pollution, the FDA-Big Pharm Industrial Complex, the Military Industrial Complex and endless wars. He clearly states that the Democratic Party has lost its way. And, if I had to choose between Trump and RFK Jr. I might have a hard time. DeSantis? Easy.

I listened to him on Rogan's pod. And shut it off eventually. No thanks from me.

And to be honest, in the same vein as it depended on who people thought won the JFK/Nixon debate on whether they listened to it or watched it, I think his voice would be a weakness in a debate setting. Totally subconscious to people but I think it would be there. The national repub party has become the party of making up mean nicknames for your opponent. That's an easy target.

One thing to know, Montana is an open primary state. BOTH sides like to play the crossover game in the primary if they think it will help them in the general. If Busse is the only candidate on the Democrat ticket, then it won't be an issue. If there are 2 or more candidates on the ticket, I suspect it will be an issue.

One thing to know, Montana is an open primary state. BOTH sides like to play the crossover game in the primary if they think it will help them in the general. If Busse is the only candidate on the Democrat ticket, then it won't be an issue. If there are 2 or more candidates on the ticket, I suspect it will be an issue.
I think the 2024 election will have multiple Republicans vying for the nomination for House and Senate, so possibly less likely to have R's submit D primary ballots to vote for a weaker Democrat to run against Greg if they have a preferred House or Senate candidate.

Had Democrats been more on top of their game, Tim Fox would have been the competitor with Cooney. No way in hell would Jersey G's money overcome Democrat included primary votes for Fox.

Alas, Fox would have kicked Cooney's ass. So Democrats were damned either way... It would have been a better Montana though.

Had Democrats been more on top of their game, Tim Fox would have been the competitor with Cooney. No way in hell would Jersey G's money overcome Democrat included primary votes for Fox.

Alas, Fox would have kicked Cooney's ass. So Democrats were damned either way... It would have been a better Montana though.
Best Republican that’s come across my ballot in years.

We could use more Tim Fox’s in this state.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back