PEAX Equipment

Ryan Busse for Governor?

I’ve assumed politics was his end game for a while.

Very interesting announcement to me. Lots of guns focus and a few things that I would say are much more far right (shooting things related to the other party) than Democrat

I'm not a Montanan, so ya'll will have your own fight, but as a guy who grew up as your next-door neighbor, I think folks like Gianforte (and EVERY elected state official in my home state of Idaho) are moving us further away from the places we grew up. A place of community, personal responsibility, and the Golden Rule.

Sorry, everyone, election season is here.

I'll bite.

I disagree with Busse on many things. I think he's too political, too far left, and too entrenched in the financial machine that is the Democrat Party.

Between him and the incumbent and certainly between him and many potential opponents, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

A Democrat Governor in Montana, which we have had 16 of the last 20 years, doesn't get what they want really. They are surrounded, outnumbered, by the other side of the isle. Honestly, I see their highest value as someone to be a firewall against the legislature.

I would love to have a Governor who hunts like the rest of us plebes, or at least is capable of it and sees the value in it and jumps on opportunities and strikes down the degradation of the sacred. I think when it comes to hunting and fishing and how it pertains to the average Montanan, which are my chief concerns, he would be strong. I know damn well folks have other concerns, perfectly valid, outside of hunting and fishing, and that is fair.

And just something tangential before the "Big Gubmint" thoughts arise, with a R Governor and R supermajority, Montana's state government just grew more than anyone can really remember.

The ad checks all the boxes for running in Montana. I think Busse stands a much better chance of winning in Montana, than if he was running in the "conservative with a firing brain cell" state of Wyoming.🙂

I’ve assumed politics was his end game for a while.

Very interesting announcement to me. Lots of guns focus and a few things that I would say are much more far right (shooting things related to the other party) than Democrat
This isn't a commentary on him, but maybe that is what we need more of in this country... people who don't necessarily fit the mold of a typical D or R (which has changed dramatically in the last 10 years), and instead are dynamic individuals that have experiences and viewpoints that fall on either side of the aisle. There are voters like that... why not more candidates that way. Would be a nice change.

I really enjoyed Mr. Busse's book, which I've learned most of the people who hate him have never read. It's well done, and a fascinating look inside the gun industry from the perspective of someone who knows far more about it than most.

I'm going to agree with @Nameless Range too: we need a backstop to keep things in check. I loved the purple state I grew up in, and one of my favorite governors was Mark Racicot (R). He was governor back before his party swung way far to the other direction and got caught up in the national culture wars. Even as a former chair of the RNC, he was recently and publicly disavowed by the Montana Republican Party for not being far enough their direction, and calling for more reasonableness. That's scary.

I'm not worried about losing my guns in Montana, no matter who gets picked for governor. I'm not worried about losing the right to hunt in Montana, no matter who gets picked for governor.

But I am worried about who gets to hunt and who can afford to hunt in Montana, and who we pick for governor will absolutely make a difference there.

Montanans tend to elect D governors when (a) they have strong charisma, like Brian Schweitzer, or (b) when they think the Rs have gone a little bit too far and need to be balanced (like when they elected Steve Bullock). I think Busse will coast to the Democratic nomination. He will have a tough fight against Gianforte, simply because of Gianforte's deep pockets and because Montana is drifting further to the right in the gravitational pull of Idaho and Wyoming. But there comes a point where Gianforte's deep pockets become a liability because his spending only reinforces the narrative that he is so rich he is out of touch. Busse has the gift of gab, the fire in the belly and the guts to throw a punch. I don't know if he has the swashbuckling charm of a Schweitzer. I think Busse's chance for success is if he can successfully convince voters that the folks in charge now are just too much, going too far and changing Montana too fast.

I really enjoyed Mr. Busse's book, which I've learned most of the people who hate him have never read. It's well done, and a fascinating look inside the gun industry from the perspective of someone who knows far more about it than most.

I'm going to agree with @Nameless Range too: we need a backstop to keep things in check. I loved the purple state I grew up in, and one of my favorite governors was Mark Racicot (R). He was governor back before his party swung way far to the other direction and got caught up in the national culture wars. Even as a former chair of the RNC, he was recently and publicly disavowed by the Montana Republican Party for not being far enough their direction, and calling for more reasonableness. That's scary.

I'm not worried about losing my guns in Montana, no matter who gets picked for governor. I'm not worried about losing the right to hunt in Montana, no matter who gets picked for governor.

But I am worried about who gets to hunt and who can afford to hunt in Montana, and who we pick for governor will absolutely make a difference there.
I think many folks reminisce about the days of “purple” states, pretty sure lots of us in Colorado would love to be a “purple” state again. The million dollar question is how does Busse divorce himself from the progressive policies of the DNC and specifically anti-hunting and anti-gun Democrats in states like OR, NM, WA, CO, and CA. Lots of folks called it in the previous Busse threads, he is/was a political hack.

I think many folks reminisce about the days of “purple” states, pretty sure lots of us in Colorado would love to be a “purple” state again. The million dollar question is how does Busse divorce himself from the progressive policies of the DNC and specifically anti-hunting and anti-gun Democrats in states like OR, NM, WA, CO, and CA. Lots of folks called it in the previous Busse threads, he is/was a political hack.
yes please 🤞

The million dollar question is how does Busse divorce himself from the progressive policies of the DNC and specifically anti-hunting and anti-gun Democrats in states like OR, NM, WA, CO, and CA.

I don't think he would want to divorce himself completely, simply because he'd want access to as much $$ as possible, including all that out of state money that is available.

That he is now actively involved with "gun control" advocates like Gabby Giffords, might alienate only single-issue voters.

If he runs, I assume he'll have at least one TV ad of him walking at sunrise along a stand of golden aspens, with an O/U shotgun broken over his arm, emphasizing his outdoors orientation.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back