Researching Montana

Zim

Looking for some guidance on the best way to research general elk areas for leftover archery elk tags in Montana. I rarely hunt OTC type units so I'm not used to trying to evaluate such a wide area. I signed up for GoHunt and got on the MT mailing list to receive a block management brochure when available. I've used onXmaps for private land boundaries in some states before, including the map overlays. I like using topos a lot for prelim scouting, but I don't think onXmaps had topo overlay capability. I'm curious what format these block management boundary maps come in...........if they are strictly print diagrams on paper or what these days. Thanks for any advice.

The block management maps highlight the block management areas and show roads, state lands, blm, etc. They do not show much of the topography. They come on paper and I think are a pretty good resource to get an idea of where the Block management areas are and then mapping them out on a more detailed topo map. Good luck!

For elk, you are going to have better luck at USFS and BLM trailheads than you will on Block Management properties in general elk units. Just a function of the enrolled BM properties being low quality elk ground, as a general rule.

You had good luck in a high country NM hunt, a few years back, if I recall correctly. Beaverhead, Helena, Lewis & Clark, and Gallatin-Custer NFs are probably better archery elk hunting that most BM properties in general units. And maybe better than some of the limited entry units that take 2-4 points to draw in other states. Since you are coming from out of state, try to arrange your travel so you can hunt weekdays and avoid some of the heavier weekend pressure that comes with general units.

These forests have many places similar to where you hiked to hunt in NM. All have decent numbers of elk. Some also have decent numbers of grizzly bears, something that helps keep hunter numbers lower. Pick one, research it, and go kill an elk.

Good luck.

+1 on the Randy input. I bet there's some good elk on a BMA in a general unit somewhere, but I've never heard of it.

Montana general elk license + 10 days + some ambition = meat in the freezer and great big antlers to fondle.

Back