Region D Wyoming

JNett

We drew a region D general tag for mule deer. Probably looking at hunting 66 & 70, anyone ever hunt those areas?

Nope, but welcome to the site! PS: It would be nice if you filled in your profile and told us something about yourself before you come on wth a first post strictly asking for information. Good luck on your hunt!

Last edited:
Never hunted 66 and 70. I hunted Region D many years ago and focused on the NF ground east of Saratoga.

Sorry about that, just edited my profile. First time on a forum! I've been hunting Montana 3 of last 4 years with my bow and we drew WY tags this year so we'll see how it goes.

Welcome. Congrats on the tag ! Buy the best maps, whether paper or electronic, that u can afford. Learn them well. Look for the areas that are very difficult to access whether its steepness or distance. Call anyone u can in the unit. Wardens, bioligists, taxidermists, butchers etc. WY folk r very friendly & glad to talk & share helpful info. But just dont ask the easy, basic questions. Get specific & talk a long time. The best leads usually comes out after 30+ mins of chatting. Ask @ specific areas on your maps. A big issue in WY is which roads r public/private. Gotta know that for sure. After chatting w a warden in the Bighorns one day, he told us about a ranch road that was also an easment allowing access. We had the whole section to ourselves. That applys to this forum too. If other members see that you've done your homework, u might get alittle farther.

Last edited:
Have hunted both of those units fordeer and antelope.Deer numbers are way down,especially there.Hunt the public land around Chalk Mountain and get back away from the roads.There are still some good bucks hanging around .I took a nice 3X4 26 inch wide there about 7 years ago.The best public land buck I have evertaken.

Haven't hunted it yet, but I have a Region D for this season. I plan on hunting in 75 since I'm going to have a cow elk license in 11.

I do know someone who hunted for several years in the Bates Creek / Muddy Mountain area and did alright, but it's been several years since he's been and I think numbers are down quite a bit from then.

I'm sure you probably already know season runs from 10/15 to 10/21 in 66 and 70, and there is a 3 pt minimum for mule deer.

Handheld GPS and hunt map seem to be a big help. We've narrowed it down to some key areas that way but it just isn't the same as having your boots on the ground. I am aware of antler restrictions there. I sometimes wish we had that here in WI. The only way they get big is to let them get grow!!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back