Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Red lens when walking in the woods in the dark to get to tree stand?

A207X2

Do you have a preference as it pertains to light color when walking in the woods in the dark to get to your tree stand? I see that headlamps are available in RGB colors as well as white. I've always used white light, but I'd like to learn if there's any practical advantages to using red light.

Do you guys use colored lenses and if so, what color(s)?

Last edited:
Fenix makes a great headlamp.

I use red when I am concerned about spooking game (walking in/out of a whitetail stand, working in or backing out from elk/mule deer/antelope stalk in low light) once I feel clear from concern about detection I switch to white. If you ask some of my friends they might accuse me of never actually using a headlamp...

red seems to help keep my eyes adjusted to the dark when I turn it off. I don't buy the whole "game doesn't see the red/green light"

Red or green doesn't matter to me but I hate white lights for hiking. My night vision gets extremely compromised with white lights and if I am hiking with someone that has one I kindly tell them to stay way behind me.

I use a red light made by nite eyes its made for predator hunting at night here in Pa we can do that
and animal do not see the red light Ive had deer 15 yrds away walk right on by also called in a small 8 point buck to my e caller when hunting fox yrs ago he came in to about 40 yrds twice guess he was curious about the rabbit sound
they can see it flash against trees or any other object tho but I think its a bit stealthier

Red is fine but strongly prefer green, especially when I was hunting in Deep South pine stands where everything on the ground was reddish to begin with. White lights are visible for miles, whereas the red/green lights seem much more limited.

Green walking, red at stand.

When I hunted a highly pressured area I wore runners red flasher.

I sprayed my cheap torch orange, but am a tightwad. Mainly because I already had one as a spare.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back