Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sometimes it's not just for you

Firedude

Crazy thing happened today. Weather called for possible light rain. I'm 2 miles up a draw and it starts pouring rain. By the time I got my rain gear out I was already wet. No biggie. Spare drys in the pack. Not wanting to end my hunt (as i do if i have nothing dry.) I just hunker down under a tree and start a small fire. Steam starts rolling off of me as I feed this fire twigs. Rain turns to snow. Out of nowhere there's a young 20s guy all but running out of the draw. He comes over and asks if I'm ok. "Yes, are you?" He's soaked. He says, "I'll be fine I just need to keep moving until I get to the truck."

I get it. I've been there. Keep moving and you'll be OK. I insist he dry off a bit. He hesitates. Yes, stopping when you are cold is a risk. Smart kid. But I've got a fire going and can easily make it bigger. He sits down and I gather wood. We get the fire big enough for 2. As the weather clears I move it away from the trees and get it HOT. Steam is rolling off of him now. I keep feeding the fire until he's good and warm and mostly dry. He confessed he tried to get a fire going and couldn't. He used all his matches and his lighter got wet. So he decided to run for it and saw my smoke. Came over hoping to get warm. I reach in my pack and hand him one of my emergency flares. Wal-Mart boating dept. Short, light, dependable if you keep them in a Ziplock. 1 thing I sacrifice weight for is instant fire. A flare will dry and light wet wood. Burns at thousands of degrees for 10 minutes. I show him my match case and lighters on top of that. I show him how branches low on the tree are usually dry while everything else is wet. Brown pine needles take off like flash paper. Toilet paper in a ziplock. Etc. He graciously accepts all the advise. A handshake and he's on his way. I put the fire out and went back to hunting but can't help think, "Poor kid exhausted everything he was taught to carry."

Would he have been okay? Probably. Was it worth watching a kid walk 2 miles soaking wet while the temp dropped to 40? No... He can have my emergency stuff after I got him warm. He might still need it. I've still got plenty. You can go without food for a while, water for a few days, hypothermia will kill you TODAY.

Carry enough to make a fire. Backups for the backups. That might be my kid someday.

Great, great tips and reminders. I was going through my emergency stuff recently too with the start of the season and because I'll be taking my kids out more this year. It's one thing to put yourself in a little danger or take a little risk. Whole other thing when it's you and the kids. I'll carry extra weight every day for their comfort, let alone their safety. Adding a flare is now top of the list.

Thanks!

Crazy thing happened today. Weather called for possible light rain. I'm 2 miles up a draw and it starts pouring rain. By the time I got my rain gear out I was already wet. No biggie. Spare drys in the pack. Not wanting to end my hunt (as i do if i have nothing dry.) I just hunker down under a tree and start a small fire. Steam starts rolling off of me as I feed this fire twigs. Rain turns to snow. Out of nowhere there's a young 20s guy all but running out of the draw. He comes over and asks if I'm ok. "Yes, are you?" He's soaked. He says, "I'll be fine I just need to keep moving until I get to the truck."

I get it. I've been there. Keep moving and you'll be OK. I insist he dry off a bit. He hesitates. Yes, stopping when you are cold is a risk. Smart kid. But I've got a fire going and can easily make it bigger. He sits down and I gather wood. We get the fire big enough for 2. As the weather clears I move it away from the trees and get it HOT. Steam is rolling off of him now. I keep feeding the fire until he's good and warm and mostly dry. He confessed he tried to get a fire going and couldn't. He used all his matches and his lighter got wet. So he decided to run for it and saw my smoke. Came over hoping to get warm. I reach in my pack and hand him one of my emergency flares. Wal-Mart boating dept. Short, light, dependable if you keep them in a Ziplock. 1 thing I sacrifice weight for is instant fire. A flare will dry and light wet wood. Burns at thousands of degrees for 10 minutes. I show him my match case and lighters on top of that. I show him how branches low on the tree are usually dry while everything else is wet. Brown pine needles take off like flash paper. Toilet paper in a ziplock. Etc. He graciously accepts all the advise. A handshake and he's on his way. I put the fire out and went back to hunting but can't help think, "Poor kid exhausted everything he was taught to carry."

Would he have been okay? Probably. Was it worth watching a kid walk 2 miles soaking wet while the temp dropped to 40? No... He can have my emergency stuff after I got him warm. He might still need it. I've still got plenty. You can go without food for a while, water for a few days, hypothermia will kill you TODAY.

Carry enough to make a fire. Backups for the backups. That might be my kid someday.
Great tip on the emergency flare! I'll have to get some.

I like your emergency flare tip, will add that to my emergency pack. Can be a signal and easily start fires. A lot of people dont know the rules of 3 for the backcountry, and that hypothermia is the biggest killer.

Opening day this year I took my 5 year old out on his first overnight backcountry trip. He had a blast. We got rain, thunder, lightning, hail, wind, and cold weather but our gear was solid.

30 minutes before a massive thunderstorm cell hit, dumping tons of hail and dropping the temp 20* to the low 40's, a group of 3 city kids were hiking to the lake on the main trail (still sunny, 65*). We saw lightning coming and had dropped camp lower on the mtn. The 3 were wearing shorts, tshirts, and tennis shoes. 5 minutes after the cell hit they came flying down the trail full speed, and one had an umbrella above their head (in a lightning storm, 500' from the top of a mtn in the open). They had 2 miles of trail running left at that point and I take it they made it out. Some people just arent cut out for the wilderness.

I carry relatively little "emergency" gear and my setup is pretty dialed, but later season with wet snow I do carry a mini flare in a zip lock. I'm not sure who convinced me, but essentially the logic was that if you truly need a fire you don't want to have to rely on skill. Just light the thing and stack on wood.
I like these miniature ones from Orion, not super light but not bad: Orion Mini

Thread title should be embroidered on the side of emergency kits. Thanks for the reminder.

August "drought" of 2021, three days trek into the seven days adventure to the heart of the Thorofare reaches of upper Yellowstone River, YNP and Wyoming Washakie Wilderness, and it snowed, froze, rained for several days.
Three-Mile Bend campsite was soaked and temp was in the low forties, as we scrounged the twigs and whatever would burn from under dense tree branches. We are always trying new fire starters and rain gear, so were equipped okay. It was an easy decision to violate the "no campfires rule". Always plan on cold and wet ... it's never too heavy to pack.
Three mile bend upper Yellowstone.JPG
3 mile bend fire.jpg

Last edited:
I carry relatively little "emergency" gear and my setup is pretty dialed, but later season with wet snow I do carry a mini flare in a zip lock. I'm not sure who convinced me, but essentially the logic was that if you truly need a fire you don't want to have to rely on skill. Just light the thing and stack on wood.
I like these miniature ones from Orion, not super light but not bad: Orion Mini
I carry the 10 minute marine ones as they're more water resistant. I like those little ones though.

I remember the exact situation when I decided to start carrying them. I was crossing a creek in November on an elk hunt. The ice gave way. I ended up slipping and falling on my side in 8 inches of water. Soaked. I started running to the truck. 1/4 mile away. By the time I got there I was encased in ice. I realized how hard it would have been to get a fire going like that. I bought flares with essentially the same thinking. If I need fire NOW it's the best option. Stack wood and light it.

I carry the 10 minute marine ones as they're more water resistant. I like those little ones though.

I remember the exact situation when I decided to start carrying them. I was crossing a creek in November on an elk hunt. The ice gave way. I ended up slipping and falling on my side in 8 inches of water. Soaked. I started running to the truck. 1/4 mile away. By the time I got there I was encased in ice. I realized how hard it would have been to get a fire going like that. I bought flares with essentially the same thinking. If I need fire NOW it's the best option. Stack wood and light it.
Curious question for you guys who know about these flares. Since I take my 5 year old out hunting with me, I worry about him being separated from me and then being lost and cold. Think I could teach a 5 year old to start a fire with the flare? I taught him how to press sos on my inreach that I leave on him, and to stay put if lost. He also has a whistle and basic survival gear. He cant operate a lighter easily but Im guessing he could do the flare. Thanks for your thoughts.

Curious question for you guys who know about these flares. Since I take my 5 year old out hunting with me, I worry about him being separated from me and then being lost and cold. Think I could teach a 5 year old to start a fire with the flare? I taught him how to press sos on my inreach that I leave on him, and to stay put if lost. He also has a whistle and basic survival gear. He cant operate a lighter easily but Im guessing he could do the flare. Thanks for your thoughts.
That greatly depends on the kid. Flares are fairly easy to light. But once they are lit you're not going to get them out. So be careful letting a kid have them. Plus once they light it's literally a 2900 degree object. Easy to get burned badly. It's up to you. Maybe look for one that lights differently than a friction striker. I don't know if they exist.

I'm kind of liking these orion mini ones that snowymountaineer suggested the more I research them. I might switch. 3 small flares with 3 strikers seams like better odds of getting one going instead of just 1 or two larger ones. Plus they are in a sealed pouch. Everything I can do to stack the deck my way is worth a shot.

Yea the high temp and inability to put it out does worry me. The ease of starting is the advantage because at his age making a fire is tough. At the same time, my kid is very smart. With proper training and hands on practice of course, I believe he could safely use one. A burn is a small price to pay if it keeps him alive. He knows what an emergency situation is and knows better than to play with matches. Thanks for the thoughts.

I think the only debate I would have is the “would he have been okay” part. I’ve seen the look of desperate people and if you’re running in the woods 2 miles in, that’s desperation. And running in wet mountain weather is a recipe for a potential slip and fall, and things get drastically worse.

Maybe I’m opening Pandora’s box but I believe that you may have done more than just shared a fire with a stranger and gave him some advice. I believed you saved this guy from an airlift, or worse. Maybe I’m listening to too much Meat Eater close call audio books… But the hypothermia stories on there seemed to come to mind whenever I read this story.

Good karma will come your way, very cool story. I pictured it all in my head so much that it made me put on wool socks.

Great, great tips and reminders. I was going through my emergency stuff recently too with the start of the season and because I'll be taking my kids out more this year. It's one thing to put yourself in a little danger or take a little risk. Whole other thing when it's you and the kids. I'll carry extra weight every day for their comfort, let alone their safety. Adding a flare is now top of the list.

Thanks!
Now there'll be a flare shortage!:mad:

Good idea on the flares and those mini flares are just the ticket.

Flare story, and they are HOT! I worked full time while I was in college in the 80's at a full- service gas station and drove tow truck. I was on a call in the winter for a Mustang that went off the road on I-90 on a Friday night east bound from Seattle, lots of traffic. I was on the shoulder of the road with all my lights lit up, watching traffic over my left shoulder while trying to light the d**n flare, strike, strike, strike, strike, and it lit when I was paying attention to the idiot drivers. The flare that I was holding in my left hand while striking with my right ignited and proceeded to torch the skin off the back of three fingers on my right hand! Still had to extract the car from the snowbank, hook it up and drive to town, 20 miles away, one-handed. Kind of hard to drive in a snowstorm with your right hand out the open window to let the cold air ease the pain of the inch high blisters on my fingers. That was about 40 years ago and it is still very fresh in my memory.

Sorry to derail your good Samaritan thread @Firedude

I think the only debate I would have is the “would he have been okay” part. I’ve seen the look of desperate people and if you’re running in the woods 2 miles in, that’s desperation. And running in wet mountain weather is a recipe for a potential slip and fall, and things get drastically worse.

Maybe I’m opening Pandora’s box but I believe that you may have done more than just shared a fire with a stranger and gave him some advice. I believed you saved this guy from an airlift, or worse. Maybe I’m listening to too much Meat Eater close call audio books… But the hypothermia stories on there seemed to come to mind whenever I read this story.

Good karma will come your way, very cool story. I pictured it all in my head so much that it made me put on wool socks.
Honestly I think it's being perceived as more desperate than the situation was. He was wet but definitely not in peril. In my mind it takes several things to get you killed. Cold weather, wet, not enough time, etc. He was layer up pretty good. Me being there in the situation, if he had insisted on walking out I would have just insisted he stay on the trail and I'd be right behind him. But why? Why not just come get dry and warm and be sure to get out ok. Honestly I think he would have been ok to just keep moving.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back