Preferred Bugle Tubes

npaden

This may end up being just a Ford, Chevy, Dodge thread, but I need to buy a new bugle tube for this season and was curious if anyone has a big preference one way or another and would especially like to hear from folks who have tried a few different kinds.

I grew up with the 'Lil Chuckler for the last 5 years and used it even though it was broken a little bit last year (the 2 pieces inside had come undone so I would have to hold it together while I bugled). I ended up losing it coming through some super thick brush the very last day of the season and when I got back to the truck couldn't muster the energy to go back for it.

The 'Lil Chuckler is no longer available, now they just have the larger full size version or the very small mini Chuckler.

Raging Bulls has a huge looking bugle tube that I'm sure is really good, but looks like it would be a pain to cart around. That's why I liked the 'Lil Chuckler because it was big enough to give it some resonance, but not so huge that it took any thought to carting it around.

Anyone tried the mini Chuckler? Does it give enough resonance to get by?

Any other tubes that people swear by?

I'm not a pro elk caller by any means, but think I can do a decent job with a diaphragm call and a tube so not looking at any of the ones with their own reed and mouthpiece.

Thanks in advance. Nathan

I've got a few different ones including the bully bull. It sounds real good but it is a pain to carry. If I know I'll be locating into big drainages I'll grab it but usually use a good sized expanding tube because it is much easier to carry and still has decent sound.

I swear by a 4" piece of vacuum cleaner hose. Fits in my pants pocket or anywhere in my pack, weighs very little, expands to about 16" and is shaped very similar to an elk's windpipe. I've called in quite a few elk, but never a Kirby or a Dyson.

The best sounding ones are the wiffle bat shape, but what a pain in the ass to pack around. For most pack hunting, I carry the primos "bull horn". You can use the blue reeds with it but I prefer an ivory plate mouth call. The bugle itself is compact yet extends out to give a pretty good tone. If you go bat style, I use a Rocky's Mnt.

When I used to carry a bugle it was the Berry Bugle ,it was easy to use and had a good sound . Any more I just take 4-5 cow calls hunting with me .I think the bulls have heard all the bugling from hunters they care to hear but they never get tired of that sweet talking cow.

Back