Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A $330 wooden bugle tube?

Hey guys this is Beau Brooks we created the wooden bugle tube. we thought that we would try and make an instrument not just a piece of plastic you wouldn’t make a guitar out of plastic right ! This tube will not be for everyone but we made it out of the best quality materials we could. we could have used cheaper wood to make it but we wanted the best acoustic sound and the most durable wood we could do to try and do some thing different than everyone else ! While also keeping weight down 1.4 pounds the same as a half full Nalgene water bottle ! I hope you guys have an awesome elk season ! We are just a few guys that love elk hunting and wanted to try and make something you could hand down to your kids!

Hey guys this is Beau Brooks we created the wooden bugle tube. we thought that we would try and make an instrument not just a piece of plastic you wouldn’t make a guitar out of plastic right ! This tube will not be for everyone but we made it out of the best quality materials we could. we could have used cheaper wood to make it but we wanted the best acoustic sound and the most durable wood we could do to try and do some thing different than everyone else ! While also keeping weight down 1.4 pounds the same as a half full Nalgene water bottle ! I hope you guys have an awesome elk season ! We are just a few guys that love elk hunting and wanted to try and make something you could hand down to your kids!
Appreciate this Beau and I hope you don't think I was poking too much fun when I started this thread; that price tag is really quite the eye popper. I don't trust myself to carry it just because I'm pretty hard on my equipment in the woods (see the first comment about my last tube burning in a forest fire).

I am genuinely curious about the sound and the weight. What, specifically, led you guys to choose that kind of wood? Did you play around with others?

I'd like to meet the hunter that just uses a whole whiffle ball bat. To heck with the Savage or anything else.
I’ve used a whiffle ball bat. Cut about 2” off each end. It sounds pretty good.

Appreciate this Beau and I hope you don't think I was poking too much fun when I started this thread; that price tag is really quite the eye popper. I don't trust myself to carry it just because I'm pretty hard on my equipment in the woods (see the first comment about my last tube burning in a forest fire).

I am genuinely curious about the sound and the weight. What, specifically, led you guys to choose that kind of wood? Did you play around with others?
So originally we made them out of a pile of different materials and were just not happy with sound quality we had always been drawn to wood from instruments and birch moose calls but we were worried about manufacturing and the weight but we jumped head first made 1 on a lathe! After using it we couldn’t believe the sound quality !! We bag an yo refine it and I won the world elk calling contest in the pro division with our second prototype ! We worked on it with a pile of different woods and found the best one getting the weight down without ruining the acoustic quality ! We got it extremely light the same weight as plastic but we had to beefin it up to get it to sound right and be durable we finally got one that was just right and I won the worlds with the production call !! Lastly we wanted something that told a story every scratch every nick would be something that gave it character !

It'd be fun to have on the coffee table to play bugle tunes around the house, show off, host bugling competitions with buddies etc... Necessary? No. Cool? I think it is. I can appreciate something hand made that works better than what most of us can justify for hunting.

Gatorade bottles work well in a pinch too :ROFLMAO:

Why not make an affordable choice as well? Just can't see myself buying one for $300 thats not even as proven as others. Also will anything made now compete with things made in 15 years? My kids will probably have some crazy way to call elk by then lol

Last edited:
I’ve bought a “few” turkey trumpets in that price range. There is something to be said about a quality wooden call. My elk calling is at the beginner level or I would be interested.

Any plans to use other woods?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back