Caribou Gear

Planning a First Elk Hunt

Whitetailer91

I would imagine many are still hunting elk during the current season. For those who have some time in I have always been interested in doing an archery elk hunt and I am working on planning for the 2017 season. I do a good deal of backpacking and have treestand hunted for a long time but I am hoping for some tips on locating an area in Colorado to hunt with OTC either sex tags. I have the unit map for my chosen tag type and I am aware of onXmaps software and GoHunt. If any of you were to give someone tips on how to hone in on an area a) are both these services worth it b) where would you tell a guy to put his time with research when boots on the ground is not an option? I have played around with google maps and the Colorado Parks and Wildlife hunting atlas and I am planning on using the concept of staying off of roads. This will be a backpack hunt with no expectations of a monster animal I just hope to get some experience and see some elk. Any tips would be appreciated.

I can't help you with most of what you're looking for as I'm pretty inexperienced myself and have never hunted Colorado. But, as far as the GoHunt subscription goes, if you already have a unit picked out I would probably not spend the money on it. It's great if you want to research multiple species, in multiple units, in multiple states. If you are just looking to do one hunt I don't think it's worth the price tag.

Good luck!

I suggest you set your goal on shooting a cow. If a legal bull presents itself take it of course, but going for a cow means you won't be disappointed for not getting a bull. It may make for a more fun hunt. Besides a cow taste really good.

Good luck wherever you end up hunting.

Just be prepared. Once you start elk hunting, it can quickly take over you life!

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?271055-2016-Idaho-elk-pack-goats-chapter-2

here is this years pack goat hunt that I did this year and will be doing every year after this year, there are a few things to think about, fyi I have not hunted colorado yet! I would find a unit that has a couple of trailheads not terribly far apart, that way you have a plane B, C, or D. #1 to look for is security(dark timber, tall/thick brush(usually they eat sleep have water in these area's and rarely leave)). Once you find that look for water source's, not all of them will be visible but google earth is a good place to start. I also look for several long valleys that connect together at some point or have saddles that go to other valley/basin area's. Usually you need to get about 2 1/2 miles from a trailhead to get away from the guys that walk in everyday, at least where I hunted this year. You need to study, study and more studying and get to know the area you want to hunt, try and look to see where the elk will go once pressured, usually the farther and steeper the better. Its pretty hard to type the knowledge I know. Its experience and using your head along with common sense. If its not working try something different. I here of all these story's of guys doing the same thing everyday on a 10 day hunt and not see a thing? After 2 days if i'm not seeing what I should, I leave change locations, at the first area I hunted this year there were some people in there, I saw deer everyday, saw some elk on day 3 (12 or so cows) no bull. Even thou I saw elk I moved locations, not enough sign and no bull with those cows, tells me that its over hunted, when there is no bull with all them cows at prime rutting time, and I was not hearing any bugles hardly at all. Anyhow just use good judgment, don't be afraid to move locations even if it take's a whole day. Good luck, hope this helps some,
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back