Oprah 2020??

Any democrat not named Hillary will easily beat the Donald in the electoral college and popular vote. (I say this hoping Donald pulls an LBJ and a decent republican runs.)

You're absolutely right. Political polarization has made people cater their own beliefs to fit a political system. I'm not so naive as to think one party or philosophy is going to solve all the country's problems. As a conservative who loves public lands and happens to work for the federal government, I actually prefer divided government where there is a check on power. Sure, it means that progress is stalled sometimes, but it also keeps one party from having free rein over the system and throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I am interested in hearing her opinion on public lands, hunting, 2nd amendment, etc. and I hope somebody asks her during the election. Especially because I think she will win if she runs.

I don't think she would win however aside from that one comment I agree with everything you say. Very much dislike having all three branches owned by 1 political party as it is today. I very much value the American ideals with checks and balance. I wish the Democrats did not do such a lousy job this last series of Elections.

As for Oprah running as president, I take it she would run as a Democrat... leg-breaking idea that fits the Democrat Party. ;)

Last edited:
Who is she completing with in the General that you come to that opinion?

I’m not out but I’m definitely wore down and not very optimistic anymore. Didn’t think it was possible to be where we’re at right now with this Administration. Nothing they say or do will ever change the minds of his solid 35 percent support from his base and that frustrates me to no end.

Nothing they say or do will ever change the minds of his solid 35 percent support from his base and that frustrates me to no end.

You have about 30% of American who vote Republican no matter what, and 35% of Americans who vote Democrat no matter what, and then there are 35% of Americans flopping around in the middle who haven't learned that lurching back and forth between the two parties every other election cycle is not really helping. Would be nice to galvanize the middle third into a force to be reckoned with, but don't hold much hope of it at this point.

Such an amazing track record of celebrities in office. Reagan, Ventura, Franken, Bono....I'd rather have someone with at least a toe maybe flirting with reality.

To lump Reagan and Franken into a group with Ventura, Bono (and presumably the Donald) is not a particularly informed view of political history.

I just bought a large leather couch and wanted to see what corner it looked best in..

You have about 30% of American who vote Republican no matter what, and 35% of Americans who vote Democrat no matter what, and then there are 35% of Americans flopping around in the middle who haven't learned that lurching back and forth between the two parties every other election cycle is not really helping. Would be nice to galvanize the middle third into a force to be reckoned with, but don't hold much hope of it at this point.

Disagree. 2 party system is for the seeds within the fall bear's dung. They feed the ground but they're full o schnit! ;) We need other forms of life...
Curious, where did you gather your statistics re: Partisan voters? A simple example that finds me not agreeing with 5% portion is here... Not a single Democrat within this forum would vote against Hillary aside from her First Gentleman chasing all living females working in the Whitehouse, none the less her own issues. Bit of humor presented though meh... :D

Disagree. 2 party system is for the seeds within the fall bear's dung. They feed the ground but they're full o schnit! ;) We need other forms of life...
Curious, where did you gather your statistics re: Partisan voters? A simple example that finds me not agreeing with 5% portion is here... Not a single Democrat within this forum would vote against Hillary aside from her First Gentleman chasing all living females working in the Whitehouse, none the less her own issues. Bit of humor presented though meh... :D

Not sure I entirely understand all of your points but will take a stab . . .

The specific numbers I used above are not at all exact, but for this comment were meant as directionally correct. A little context for how my assumptions were based --
Since 1980 neither party (in the polling booth or the polls) has been able to form a consistent majority, therefore each have something less than 50% die-hard supporters. Pretty typically studies and polls show a small edge to bed-rock dems over bed-rock GOP, is that 2% or is it 10%? It varies but my 5% differential is a reasonable estimation. Even bad candidates on statewide or national ballots still rarely get less than 30% of vote so that sets a bit of a floor. The number of Americans who self report as "independents" runs from 15% to 35% depending on the mood of the day. Absent polarizing figures like the Donald or Hillary, self described independents tend to shy a little towards GOP, somewhat covering for the 5% differential. Your 10-30% remaining "independents" tend to swing cycle to cycle for a huge variety of reasons. Studies have shown that a number of Obama voters voted for Donald and this seems odd on it face, but it's the "voting against the current state" block. Often these are the "Reagan Democrats" -- white working class union members who might typically expected to vote Dem, switch over for a Rep every so often as a statement of frustration.

This is further complicated by two other considerations that make the statistics hard to compare -- turn out (which is different than actual sentiment), and votes against a candidate rather than for. For example, there will be life long Republicans who either stay home or vote for the Dem in 2020. Many assessments show that if Bush-the-elder had gotten the same voter turn out as he got for his first term he would have likely beaten Clinton -- in effect, democrats didn't elect Clinton as much as a GOP that was lukewarm on Bush after his tax increase didn't show up to vote.

So, in the end is it 30/35/35 or 35/40/25 or 45/48/7 I don't really know and it seems to vary year to year, but the basic premise is reasonable IMO.

Such an amazing track record of celebrities in office. Reagan, Ventura, Franken, Bono....I'd rather have someone with at least a toe maybe flirting with reality.

I think I would rather have a celeb than a career politician in most circumstances.

I think the president should be for everyone and not just those who make a career on living off six figure government welfare.

Granted, I read you statement wrong the first time - I read 'toe flirting' and immediately thought of Rex Ryan former Coach of the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets

The floor is yours to inform.

For those who are interested there is much to read about Reagan's roll as Cali Gov., GOP re-vitalizer and 2 term president -- like him or hate him he is a historical figure to be reckoned with.

For those who have paid attention, like him or hate him Franken was actually a thoughtful and productive politician who would have had a large voice in the Dem party and national landscape if he had not been derailed.

Love them or hate them, Ventura was a joke (even he knew it at the time), and I haven't seen anything to suggest Bono was worth taking seriously.

That's why I distinguish between them.

VikingsGuy,

I appreciate your considered response. I mistook your post to hold a different intent.
Whether I agree or disagree with your consideration shared, it is certainly a respected reply.

Any democrat not named Hillary will easily beat the Donald in the electoral college and popular vote. (I say this hoping Donald pulls an LBJ and a decent republican runs.)

That could be a bad thing if the GOP controls the house and the senate still.

Trump is an idiot, but at least his sons have a little bug in his ear about public lands.

If Ted "There is too much federal land in Texas" Cruz won the presidency, then we be in real trouble.

That could be a bad thing if the GOP controls the house and the senate still.

Trump is an idiot, but at least his sons have a little bug in his ear about public lands.

If Ted "There is too much federal land in Texas" Cruz won the presidency, then we be in real trouble.

Very much agree... especially the Cruz impression.

Well, part of the reason the two party system is in place is the incompetence of the other parties out there.

I mean you have the libertarians who would rather argue about the pro's and con's of Driver's Licenses and the Greens that tried to recruit Bernie Sanders to lead their party only for him to give them the middle finger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back