Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bear hunt in Selway/B root area

Grover4360

Hello Hunters!
My son and I will be hunting the Selway/B root area for bear this May. We are very experienced hunters…. Except for bear. We just want a new adventure. We are looking for any constructive information that any of you can send our way. This is a drop camp hunt near Bad Luck Creek (oh boy, what a start). Just hoping for a little coaching, we are not hunting over bait, spot/ stalk style hunt. Strategy and techniques would be awesome information for us to plot our approach. Anybody wanna help?

I have had success in the spring hunting right below the snow line. I would suggest that you try some calling, too. Action can happen fast when calling.

Odd thing I've noticed, but I don't think I've heard it said before. But in terms of following the snow line up the mountain as the grass greens up below it, I also pay attention to where the mosquitoes are. I hate mosquitoes with a passion, but I've noticed I see most bears at the elevation where the mosquitoes are starting to swarm. My theory is that's the level it's been warm enough for the vegetation to reach the maturity the bears like. It just happens to converge with the mosquito hatch.

Anyway, back to the OP, don't overthink it. Do plenty of e-scouting for glassing spots where you can see south to east facing slopes with an adjacent water source. Find those and you'll find bears.

Bear hunting can be pretty hit or miss and might require a lot of patience. Might not see anything for days and then they materialize out of nowhere. Be mentally prepared to spend a lot of time behind your binoculars.

One more thing, and you say you guys are experienced hunters, so you're probably aware of how good a deer's sense is smell is. Bears are much better even. You literally cannot overestimate their sense of smell. It is impossible to fool. You have to be aware of the wind direction at all times. Just let that become the biggest factor in every move you make, whether it's the final leg of the stalk or hiking in to you glassing knob.

Odd thing I've noticed, but I don't think I've heard it said before. But in terms of following the snow line up the mountain as the grass greens up below it, I also pay attention to where the mosquitoes are. I hate mosquitoes with a passion, but I've noticed I see most bears at the elevation where the mosquitoes are starting to swarm. My theory is that's the level it's been warm enough for the vegetation to reach the maturity the bears like. It just happens to converge with the mosquito hatch.
That is good info, I will have to start smacking the back of my neck a little softer. Might see some more bears!

Wow! That is an incredible observation….i would never have known that. Seems to make sense.
Besides, I’m from MN so mosquitos are a huge part of my life!😜
Anyway, back to the OP, don't overthink it. Do plenty of e-scouting for glassing spots where you can see south to east facing slopes with an adjacent water source. Find those and you'll find bears.

Bear hunting can be pretty hit or miss and might require a lot of patience. Might not see anything for days and then they materialize out of nowhere. Be mentally prepared to spend a lot of time behind your binoculars.

One more thing, and you say you guys are experienced hunters, so you're probably aware of how good a deer's sense is smell is. Bears are much better even. You literally cannot overestimate their sense of smell. It is impossible to fool. You have to be aware of the wind direction at all times. Just let that become the biggest factor in every move you make, whether it's the final leg of the stalk or hiking in to you glassing knob.
great coaching Brian…. Really appreciate the help!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back