Nephew Perma’s 100 Day Challenge

perma

I thought I would shake things up a bit this year by doing my hunt journal and intermix it with my New Year’s resolution of spending 100 days outdoors this year either. I’m chalking up credit for target shooting, hunting, fishing, hiking, conservation work, etc. While I’m at it, I’ll still keep score of what I’m hunting.

For a fun twist this year, my wife has also verbally committed to doing a backcountry fishing trip in the Snowies. More to come on that, once I figure out what the hell to do.

The goal this year is to bag a turkey and bag an elk. I still have yet to notch those tags even though I had great success and chances last year. That’s my focus for this year. If I get a deer and pronghorn tag, I’ll hunt those too. Also, this is my first year of WY residency of applying. So even if I don’t draw the one I applied for, I still got a general tag. I just hope what I put in for pans out. I just need one on the board….

Sweet rifle pics to be included. Hopefully one of those is after a connected shot at a bull.

Oh yeah, going black bear hunting for the first time too. I saw one fat bear when I was archery deer hunting last year. I’m gonna go find him.

Here’s to another season of firsts!

WY spring turkey - ?
WY spring black bear - ?
WY elk - ?
WY deer - ?
WY mountain lion - ?
CO elk - ?

Last edited:
As a WY resident, the world is your oyster. The general elk tag is really good, especially if you have the drive to put in some time which it sounds like you do. Good luck!

As a WY resident, the world is your oyster. The general elk tag is really good, especially if you have the drive to put in some time which it sounds like you do. Good luck!
At this point, yeah I’m ready to do something dumb. Let’s see if the draw prevents that part of the process though, or at least numbs the dumb a little.

I havent been very loyal on updating but there’s not much to update.

Struck out on AZ draw, didn’t put in for NM but I’m in for CO and UT. Will put in for NV and ID. I should draw in CO but time will tell.

I did scout that unit in CO with some help from some folks and got onto two different herds of cows. Knowing that and the summer range I’m comfortable enough to put in. Should be promising.

I’ve done some other outdoors stuff like an off road expo with a Ford Bronco in Moab. That was amazing and would recommend. Wife and I are going back to do it again and do some fishing in the Colorado River.

The last fish outing and this one didn’t yield any catch. We haven’t been very good at getting to the lake early and the fishing is slow. I’m getting back into fly fishing and ordered some new strings for my reel. Might plan a trip to the Laramie River this weekend.

Nothing on the conservation work yet. My chapter is banquet focused this month so hopefully we’ll be looking for work soon. I also signed up for a goat count for the Rocky Mountain Goat alliance. If anyone has any leads on conservation projects in WY or CO, shoot em my way. I don’t really know how to look for these opportunities.

IMG_0832.jpegIMG_0815.jpegIMG_0816.jpegIMG_0824.jpeg

Here’s some random out of order photos.

Good luck this year for all, especially the LQ tags. Those bastards have proven elusive.

Two more days under my belt. Did some fly fishing in Southern CO this weekend with my niece for her birthday. Today, she landed her first fish on a “big girl” pond while my wife hooked two on power bait. I managed to get one with power bait and hooked my first fish with a fly. Thankful to say I won’t be golfing anymore now that I know how to fly fish.

And before I knew it, bear and turkey season start tomorrow! Bear is going to be pushed back a bit and I’m going out turkey hunting this weekend. I got a spot I had called in two Toms on and will hopefully be going back to finish that task from last year. If that plan fails, I have a 5 day turkey hunt the following weekend. My hope is that I fill the tag this weekend and then I can bear hunt while my dad turkey hunts.

She wanted me to use her dollar store net to land the fish, and who am I to say no to my niece?

IMG_4235.jpeg

Well this weekend was full of anticipation and motivation until today.

My year started with a turkey hunt in SE WY. I knew of a good spot from last year where I got within 69 yards of two hot headed toms, so one would believe that you should keep going to that spot.

I woke up at 2 AM yesterday and struggled to stay awake but made the trek to the spot. To my surprise, my parking spot was vacant so I had this cluster of hills to myself. Perfect.

Well it was until the weather turned on me. The forecast the day before told me a calm overcast and getting up to 50. That didn’t happen. Snow, wind and a high of 25 was what I dealt with. Not one bird was chirping that day. I tried to tough it out but ended up freezing because of poor gear choices. I decided to go back to the truck to warm up and drive the land to scout a bit. To my surprise, I did bump two hens on the side of the road coming out of a stream carved into the ground.

I didn’t pack a lunch so I opted to head home early and come back the next day. This is where I screw up. Because I didn’t pack a lunch, I decided to go to a fast food chain off the side of the road. Lunch was okay but it later started to creep back and rebel. I thought an afternoon nap would do the trick. Ate dinner and went back to sleep.

I woke up at 3 disoriented and in pain. When I say disoriented, I actually forgot where I was for a bit until I reached for my water. Once I sat up, I couldn’t keep my feet underneath me. I struggled to the bathroom and pretty much spent the rest of my morning in there until first light. I struggled to do anything today, barely was able to make dinner for Mrs Perma.

I look outside all day in agony. Not because of how I was feeling, but because of how stupid I was to make such a poor choice to eat bad food (that I knew was bad for me) and suffered the repercussions. Today was the day to fill my first turkey tag and I blew it. Envy is setting in by all these posts on filling the tag opening day.

Season is far from over though. I have a 5 day hunt this weekend, and I’m staying pretty optimistic. Going on a diet of crackers and water until I get home though.

IMG_0871.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back