Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Non-resident Hunting and the North American Model

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
You would still find a reason to complain.
This discussion made me go and look about the taxes paid vs. taxes received, This is per capita and the data comes from SUNY Rockefeller Institute of Government (2019).
Wyoming: Paid 11,621.00 and received 12,292.00
Minnesota : Paid 10,589.00 and received 11,549.00

does not seem to be that big a disparity

What happened to your plans to buy a Wyoming ranch property? Slow times being a stuffed shirt lawyer?
I'd be happy to have land in WY. And if a resident I would vote to pay our own bills (at least to the extent others do, given the current state of affairs requires some fed $$ for all states). I got nothing against the state or its people, it's just the "we pay our own way, piss off" thing that grates on me now and would grate on me then.

This discussion made me go and look about the taxes paid vs. taxes received, This is per capita and the data comes from SUNY Rockefeller Institute of Government (2019).

Several others including Pew calculate differently and have WY as one of the most dependent states (and MN one of the middle states).

I'll try to push this back to the discussion of the NAM. IMO regardless if a state is a donor or recipient, the wildlife in a particular state are held in trust for the citizens of the state irrespective if they are on private or federal. The idea that because Wyoming pays less in taxes than it receives would give credence to the idea that non residents would enjoy equal privileges is silly. I think if there was ever a serious attempt to change the standing of wildlife as a state resource the backlash would be thunderous. In my opinion that would be a nail in the NAM's coffin.

That me add, I own property in Wyoming where I hope to retire (For the love of God hurry up). But reside out of state, so I am paying non resident for hunting and fishing.

So who to believe?
Lots of ways to calculate, so your guess is as good as mine. I have seen WY & MT pop up on these types of lists often so I tend to think they are net takers in the whole game in a big way. But who knows. It's like arguing the inflation rate. But which one of the 7 or so the fed calculates and do you buy into the goods durability numbers they assign and the "basket of goods" they choose. There is a reason economics is referred to as the "dismal science"? Even makes lawyers seem reasonable sometimes in comparison. ;)

Nobody seems to mind either that Wyoming receives part of pennies on the dollar when Shirley Basin and Beaver Rim are mined for Uranium, the Powder River or Green River Basins for gas and oil, our forests logged, etc. that all provide cheap power, building materials, raw materials, and fuel to the rest of the States.

I don't mind my state providing that either...until the high pitched whining from recipients of those cheap natural resources start chirping that they're having to "subsidize" Wyoming Residents. Try fueling your nuclear reactor without the uranium from Wyoming or enriching same for national security reasons.

States like Wyoming and Montana pay more than their share in what we give to other states in the form of Natural Resources...and yes, its about given away.

It gets tiresome in particular when the whining is over something as ridiculous as a higher priced NR deer tag...almost laughable.

I think if there was ever a serious attempt to change the standing of wildlife as a state resource the backlash would be thunderous.
325 million Americans wouldn't even know or care. And for 10 million it would improve their chances. For 2 million vested incumbents I am sure they would be pissy, but maybe we need a @wllm1313 pie chart to point out how imbalanced those numbers are - "thunderous backlash" is monumental hyperbole. How big was the backlash when waterfowl were taken away or wolves protected? Life moves on.

325 million Americans wouldn't even know or care. And for 10 million it would improve their chances. For 2 million vested incumbents I am sure they would be pissy, but maybe we need a @wllm1313 pie chart to point out how imbalanced those numbers are - "thunderous backlash" is monumental hyperbole. How big was the backlash when waterfowl were taken away or wolves protected? Life moves on.
Big enough deal for the Western States to get their Federal Legislative body to pass S.339...

To you its a hobby and something you talk about with your drinking buddies...not what it is for the people who live in the West.

You are right life will move on even if you're limited to 10% of tags and have to pay more for your NR tag...deal with it...or don't.

Nobody seems to mind either that Wyoming receives part of pennies on the dollar when Shirley Basin and Beaver Rim are mined for Uranium, the Powder River or Green River Basins for gas and oil, our forests logged, etc. that all provide cheap power, building materials, raw materials, and fuel to the rest of the States.

I don't mind my state providing that either...until the high pitched whining from recipients of those cheap natural resources start chirping that they're having to "subsidize" Wyoming Residents. Try fueling your nuclear reactor without the uranium from Wyoming or enriching same for national security reasons.

States like Wyoming and Montana pay more than their share in what we give to other states in the form of Natural Resources...and yes, its about given away.

It gets tiresome in particular when the whining is over something as ridiculous as a higher priced NR deer tag...almost laughable.
If you are playing the import-export game then I guess WY should be thankful for 95% of its food, 100% of its computers, 100% of its TVs, 100% of its pickups, etc etc etc. A complete non-starter rhetorically.

But again, I don't care what WY does with its wildlife, just stop the "we pay for it", "the constitution demands it", "it is etched in the NAM", "the Chancellor of the Exchequer decided in 1585" b.s. It is simple. Your state your rules. Up until the country decides our nation our rules. It's that simple.

Can you honestly say you would support this if you were from Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho? Defending something you have grown up with and loved your entire life is not being “pissy”.

Big enough deal for the Western States to get their Federal Legislative body to pass S.339...

To you its a hobby and something you talk about with your drinking buddies...not what it is for the people who live in the West.

You are right life will move on even if you're limited to 10% of tags and have to pay more for your NR tag...deal with it...or don't.
Reid/McConnell/etc get to deliver all types of little goodies to their constituents when the majority of people don't care, comes with the position. That is not the same as assuming thunderous rebellion had it gone the other way.

I remember the "Sagebrush Rebellion" and I think the political climate now is much more flammable than it was then. I don't think the idea that there would significant backlash as hyperbole. I don't remember the duck issue, well before my time and I think yours. Also much waterfowl was on the verge of extinction unlike deer and elk.
Yeah I think the average guy in Gillette or Rawlins might get a little worked up that the feds take over the wildlife so some dudes from back east don't pay a higher rate. I don't think it leads to breaking up the country, but it could make for some real uncomfortable hunting in Wyoming driving a rig with out of state plates. And I better be getting the same resident rate on pheasants and ruff grouse

If you are playing the import-export game then I guess WY should be thankful for 95% of its food, 100% of its computers, 100% of its TVs, 100% of its pickups, etc etc etc. A complete non-starter rhetorically.

But again, I don't care what WY does with its wildlife, just stop the "we pay for it", "the constitution demands it", "it is etched in the NAM", "the Chancellor of the Exchequer decided in 1585" b.s. It is simple. Your state your rules. Up until the country decides our nation our rules. It's that simple.
I'm not the one bitching about paying higher prices for tags or being limited to a low allotment in the 10 or so other states I apply in either.

That would be all you...

I realize that the States are all in this Union together...some states are rich in Natural Resources and we give those assets to the rest of the States at a highly reduced rate. Other States provide a bit more (allegedly) amount of tax dollars to Wyoming.

I'd call it even and part of being the United States.

Can you honestly say you would support this if you were from Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho? Defending something you have grown up with and loved your entire life is not being “pissy”.
I grew up in ND and lived a bunch of other places. Lots of things are held dear to me, but that does not mean 300 million others should/would care. I am not against hunting, or against rural states, I just get tired of the half-truth self-serving narratives that are used in place of real arguments. I think "the better done at the local level" is a fair and reasonable argument. I think "sticking with the status quo until there is a clear improved alternative" is also fair. Go back and look through my posts if you wish, but I have never said states can't regulate wildlife - I have said it is not etched in stone, it is not in the constitution. Believe what you wish, just don't make up the law or claim the victim card in doing so.

Reid/McConnell/etc get to deliver all types of little goodies to their constituents when the majority of people don't care, comes with the position. That is not the same as assuming thunderous rebellion had it gone the other way.
I disagree...if it wasn;t a big deal to the Western States, I doubt it would have had the bi-partisan co-sponsor list it did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back