Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT CWD positive?

Bambistew

Maybe this has been asked before, but the carcass in the dump thread made me wonder... If you have a positive CWD animal you can get a replacement tag. At what point do we care about how many extra deer are being killed? At some point shouldn't it just be tough tiddies, sorry the animal you shot was sick, but there isn't enough left to go around? Or is the management strategy to just keep shooting?

I found this interesting. I presume this would include NR, draw tags, or animals shot near the end of the season and test results were not available prior to the end of the season. Could you get an additional license, as in you can have 2 tags?

from 2023 CWD FAQ: https://fwp.mt.gov/conservation/chronic-wasting-disease/management
If you choose not to consume the meat and wish to request a new license for this year or next year, please call your local FWP Regional Office or the Licensing Call Center (406-444-2950) to coordinate the next steps. You will have to properly dispose of all remaining parts in a landfill, and turn in any antlers associated with your harvest, if you request a replacement license

From 2020 CWD FAQ:
Hunters may request a replacement license if their animal tests CWD-positive, however, the hunter must surrender their entire animal, including the head. No replacement licenses for subsequent seasons will be issued.

Maybe this has been asked before, but the carcass in the dump thread made me wonder... If you have a positive CWD animal you can get a replacement tag. At what point do we care about how many extra deer are being killed? At some point shouldn't it just be tough tiddies, sorry the animal you shot was sick, but there isn't enough left to go around? Or is the management strategy to just keep shooting?

I found this interesting. I presume this would include NR, draw tags, or animals shot near the end of the season and test results were not available prior to the end of the season. Could you get an additional license, as in you can have 2 tags?

from 2023 CWD FAQ: https://fwp.mt.gov/conservation/chronic-wasting-disease/management

From 2020 CWD FAQ:
I think you could get a replacement in MT. But they give out tags like candy at Halloween.

no replacement tags or tag refunds in colorado for cwd positive. But you can be refunded up to 200 bucks for processing costs with receipts

I’d hope the or next year would just mean you don’t have to buy the following years license and that they are not giving out 2 a tags. Could also be for non resident since they are not quite guaranteed a tag

I’d hope the or next year would just mean you don’t have to buy the following years license and that they are not giving out 2 a tags. Could also be for non resident since they are not quite guaranteed a tag

Wonder how many NR’s are going to start targeting CWD positive deer and elk as a way to guarantee a draw and also free tag? Would not have occurred to me until I read that thread about the unlimited sheep shadiness with reporting. Don’t hate the player, hate the game right?

Wonder how many NR’s are going to start targeting CWD positive deer and elk as a way to guarantee a draw and also free tag? Would not have occurred to me until I read that thread about the unlimited sheep shadiness with reporting. Don’t hate the player, hate the game right?
Probably not many since they have to hand over the hardware with it

So in 1993 I shot a bull moose that was full of Tape worm cycts. The Department got me another tag, (couple of weeks later) that I never used. Just didn't see a mature bull like the one I traded in.
What was full?

I've shot 6 moose, every one of them had tape worm cysts. Every one I've helped pack out about another dozen, all had cysts. They are killed by freezing apparently and do not transmit to humans. Kind of gross but I just pop em out if i see them and cook it.

Does it help or harm the ungulate population by removing CWD infected animals?
If it's a nice buck/bull, well the person has to give up the "trophy" portion if s/he wants a replacement tag.
If a doe/cow, it's one less CWD animal spreading the disease.
The position hunters are the leaders of conservation efforts, it appears a win/win. A person has an opportunity for CWD free meat and less CWD.

I've not sought a replacement tag (didn't realize it existed) though seems a conservation action more than a, "S/he gets to kill another animal? Is that really fair?"

At least they aren’t being like some midwestern states and having extra CWD tags with virtually limitless free tags in CWD zones.
True that! If I shoot a doe in the cdw zone and have it tested I can get another tag regardless of results. I know that controlling population density helps with the spread but damn, how long is that sustainable?

Does it help or harm the ungulate population by removing CWD infected animals?
If it's a nice buck/bull, well the person has to give up the "trophy" portion if s/he wants a replacement tag.
If a doe/cow, it's one less CWD animal spreading the disease.
The position hunters are the leaders of conservation efforts, it appears a win/win. A person has an opportunity for CWD free meat and less CWD.

I've not sought a replacement tag (didn't realize it existed) though seems a conservation action more than a, "S/he gets to kill another animal? Is that really fair?"
I agree with this and from a CWD management standpoint, I see hunter participation declining as CWD prevalence increases. Not allowing someone another tag I would think even further reduces hunter participation.

I know CWD is here but more management (whatever that ends up looking like) would help slow the spread (or rise in prevalence) to other areas.

One of my buddies' deer tested positive for CWD this year. I think he said he shot it up in Region 4. I asked him if he got a replacement tag, he said no but they offered to give him next year's general deer tag for free, but he always gets the sportsman's combo so it doesn't really matter.

What was full?

I've shot 6 moose, every one of them had tape worm cysts. Every one I've helped pack out about another dozen, all had cysts. They are killed by freezing apparently and do not transmit to humans. Kind of gross but I just pop em out if i see them and cook it.
I should of took a picture. Looked like cottage cheese mixed with meat.

The F&G came and took the meat to a couple of mt lion cubs to feed. The Bio told me not to eat it.

The way fwp is selling it on I was under the assumption only are older age class of miles deer suffered from cwd

Back