NM Late Season Muley Hunt

So I do the only thing I can do, I start crawling. Start working their way and its all crawling can't ever get in oak humps high enough to hide me enough to walk. I started crawling at 9:37 Red line is where i walked, the blue circle is where the deer were. The turquoise line is where i had to crawl.Screenshot_20240122_161914_onX Hunt.jpgSo finally about 12 o'clock I was at 80-90 yard from him. And a doe got up and moved she got down off the top of the hill and bedded on the side which may thing so much better cause I was perty much at a standstill because of her being bedded there. The buck also got up and re bedded where I could see him. The other doe that was bedded up high had moved to a better postion for me earlier. 20240113_113630.jpg20240113_113602.jpg

At this point I've got to belly crawl to get any closer to some deeper oak humps that should have me well in range. So I get crawled to them and I feel like I've got to be within 50 yards of where I last saw the buck. So I glass and glass and glass and finally see a doe flick her year thru the brush. I'm perty sure he's below the does so I move around in the humps to make sure I'm hid from her and it gets me a lil higher where I can see more. So I start glossing again all of a sudden I realize I'm looking at a big huge fork thru the oak brush. I slowly pull up my range finder and range he's 40 yards from me bedded. When I raise up I can just barely see his antlers and head.20240113_123752.jpg

And the oak brush is still in the way, to much to shoot so I stand all the way up. Still more oak brush than I like so he's kinda walking to where I might get a shot he still doesn't see me but right then the does stand up look at me and leave and he follows them without giving me a shot. I watch where they run to and I head to the truck to get water which is just down the hill 600 yards.

Found them with my spotting scope again. Feeding slowly on the far side of the oak humps. Finally decides they were kinda feeding one direction so I started after them again. Thought i got around in front of them far enough but didn't found them again right when they went to bed again. Got snuck around as close as I could dare without knowing where they all were exactly and couldn't even see the buck at this point. Decided to wait them out.

Finally after at least 30-40 mins they get up and start feeding. Finally see the buck and they start feeding back they way the came from. So I start tagging along but I can't ever quite get in range. They keep moving to much and wind has died down now so I got to be really careful with my sound. I finally get within 70 yards of the buck and then he feeds straight away and all sudden they are headed back the other direction. Moving way to fast so I just kinda guess where I think they are gonna go and I drop out if sight and cut around. Finally there they are again the buck is ahead of them. I start stalking in thru the mounds getting closer. Finally in range but no shot so I ease up even closer. Buck is still in front and they are jus slowly feeding around. I range him 33 yards and I draw ready to send a magnus his way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back