PEAX Equipment

NM 16C 2nd Rifle

ND_Hooligan

Wondering if anyone might be willing to give a little friendly advice for NM unit 16c? I was lucky enough to draw a 2nd rifle tag in this unit and am trying to do everything I can to be prepared when Oct rolls around. I have never hunted this area before and understand that this will be a disadvantage but am looking forward to the challenge of a great DIY adventure. I have hunted public lands in WY for each of the past 10 yrs but being caught up in the points game have only been able to hunt cows. We have a small group of 4 of us that have all the equipment necessary for both base camp and spike camp set ups so doing backpack hunts will be no problem whatsoever. By no means would I ever compare myself to Randy Newberg but I see a lot of his techniques in the way we like to hunt. Most might call us crazy but about 98% of the cows we harvest have to come out in backpacks, some as far as 7 miles. It is a very fulfilling way to hunt the back country and the only thing that has kept us from harvesting several bulls is the tag. I do understand that NM will be a totally different ballgame but am very excited to finally have the opportunity to score a bull if the opportunity presents itself. My main question is does anybody have a general area of 16c where odds are better than others? Not looking for coordinates or anything like that maybe just N,S,E,or W quadrants or a historical starting point? What to expect as far as weather, water sources, and glassing areas? My plan is to use the Randy technique of getting as far away from others as possible, camp on the mountain the whole season as needed, and go anywhere the elk might be. I am planning on flying down from ND for a few days this summer to get a general lay of the land and am also very fortunate to be able to be down there 8 days before my season starts so I can scout and don’t have to leave until 2 days after season is done. I will have 3 others coming with to help so we will be able to spread the pack out amongst 4 backs as needed and would also look into having a packer on standby if anybody with experience believes that is the way to go. I thank you guys for taking the time to read this and am looking forward to any responses I might get.

16C was my first NM Elk hunt. All I will say is it has been the most crowded out of state hunt I've ever done. I started getting serious about internet scouting after that hunt.

Watch Randy's youtube on using OnX to find hunting areas. I do exactly the same thing, because it works.

I thank you for your information. Sounds like I will have to try my best to avoid crowds. I have purchased the OnX app and have been using it and other methods to do internet scouting. Randy's video is very informing, as are all of his, and I have become addicted and am trying my best to become proficient with the app and google earth and such. Very useful tools without any doubt.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back