Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New to Elk Hunting

1bigpaddle

Hello- This will be my first ever Wyoming elk hunt, and first ever elk hunt.. Im hoping to bag one with my bow in Sept. But like I said Ive never been elk hunting before.. Since I moved to Wy, Ive been reading everything I can, and doing what I can to get my feet on the ground.. What tips can anyone offer? Calls, Decoys, glassing tips? What do I look for as far as rutting, fall food sources? I'll be in area 116 NE Wyoming. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I hope you have a great hunt. A couple things to think about, none of which is rocket science.

First, don't worry too much about calls, decoys, etc. The hard part is finding elk. Killing one is much easier than some think, once you learn to consistently find them. Too many people worry about tactics, but never get very good at finding elk on which to employ the tactics.

I would scout the area as much as you can. If you are talking about the rut period, you are mostly looking for cows, as the bulls we be right there with them, and younger bulls on the periphery.

So, where to find cows? They are focused on food and water most of the year, with this time of year being no exception. Look for places furthest from roads and trails. The cows will be rather predictable, until hunting pressure moves them. Their daily patterns will be rather consistent. Scouting them will provide good benefits.

You can even hunt them effectively without being a good caller. You can learn their patterns and intercept them, rather than call them. But, not much more fun than calling in a screaming bull.

Food sources in your area will depend upon what is available. I would ask your local biologist what the cows are focusing on during that time of year. I think you have a lot of ag activity from what I have seen while driving through there. Not out of the question that many of the elk will be in ag fields in the evening and night, allowing you to intercept them on their way to morning beds in thicker cover.

You will encounter younger bulls in random areas as they move to/from herds of cows, hoping to sneak in and get a chance. That can happen anywhere/anytime. Not much predictability to that.

I try to be out well in advance of sunrise. I am mostly just listening. They will tell you where they are, and it might require a serious hike to get there. Once you hear them, get there as fast as you can.

Don't worry too much about noise, etc. until you get pretty close. A lot of guys think you need to sneak around all the time. Once you hear them, you gotta get there and get there fast. That can create some noise, but usually not a problem.

I would learn as much as I can about what the cows are doing, then build a plan from that. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

Ditto on everything Big Fin said, but you also may have to consider your equipment. Elk are tough critters and inhabit some rough country. Does your bow/arrow combination have enough kinetic energy to get the job done, or are you shooting minimum weight arrows for the highest speed you can get. Are you prepared to get the elk back to your rig, ie; sturdy packframe and/or buddies. Good luck and have lots of fun while you're at it.

Thanks for the information! I am actually shooting a Black Widow Recurve 65# and I have for the last 7 years used heavy arrows for the impact punch with kinetic energy.. Ive taken alot of deer and 2 blck bears with this set up in MN where I used to live...

I will be sure to post any updates and successes i may have.

Back