New Mexico Archery Elk - Not really live

The new location of this evening paid some dividends, even if I didn't take the shot. We walked in 3 miles to a new area and it was worth it. Rubs everywhere. Instantly glassed up three spikes.

A while a later, a big boy got out of his bed and went over to check in his gals. The wind was howling and made for a perfect spot and stalk option, if they stayed put.

We looped south about 3/4 mile and came out on the rock ledge above them. They had no idea we were there.

Troy set up the camera and I eased down the rocks to get closer. Unfortunately, his three cows and the three spikes were further from the ledge, out feeding, and keeping a eye on me as I tried to close the gap.

Finally I was out of cover. I put the Leupold RX1000 on TBR mode. Line of sight was 95 yards. TBR was 55 yards. Yeah, it was a very steep angle.

I made a 55 yard shot on a mule deer in Nevada three weeks ago, so was thinking this was "makeable." Since gravity only works on your arrow for the TBR distance and not the LOS distance, my plan was to draw, rise to my knees, and hold the 50 yard pin a little high.

I waited for him to turn. He was big. 8 on the left and 6 on the right. Long beams, long points, great mass, but probably only 30" inside spread. Still a lunker bull.

As I rose and prepared to draw, a gust of wind hit me. I realized just how much havoc this 30 mph wind would play with an arrow in flight for 95 yards, even if the TBR was 55 yards. Troy told me to wait for the wind to calm down. I waited and I waited and I......

Finally, Troy said we had only 10 minutes if filming light left. I told him I would try to call the bull up the rocks in an angle that was less exposed to the wind.

My calling only enticed one of the cows. She winded us and led the group down the rock pile at a very leisurely pace. They were not too concerned.

I was quite disappointed. Not only had the stalk worked great, but this would have been my biggest bull ever, rifle or bow. And we have 15 minutes of footage at under 100 yards.

I am sure some guys will watch the show and tell me I am nuts for not shooting. I am not a great archer like Bugler or Buschy, so I am very selective in my shots, wanting to know the critter is dead when I release.

Knowing those limitations, I chose to pass. Hopefully we will run into him again tomorrow or the next day.

He is about a 45 minute truck ride and three mile walk from our camp. Will probably pick up camp and move tomorrow if we can relocate him. No cell coverage there.

As we left the area, we watched four smaller bulls go to a water tank and drink. They had to cross a 300 yard sage flat to get there. Didn't seem to bother them. If only there was a tree within archery range, I might set up there for a blind option in the heat of the day.

Absolutely exhausted, so will sign off and hope to post a better story tomorrow.

God, I love September.

Nice report Randy and I beg to differ on the great archer comment. Someone that arrows two pope and young animals back to back on film has got to know what they are doing. Good call on passing that shot. With that much wind it is just too hard to tell how much side hold you would need.

Good luck and it sounds like he is in the area still. Go get 'em.

Too tired top even type. GPS says we packed elk for over 10 miles today. Story to follow tomorrow when and if I wake up.

The most amazing footage you will ever see on an archery elk hunt. Spot and stalk and the bull was taken at 2, yes, TWO yards.

IMG_5635.JPG

IMG_5640.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

Cool looking bull Randy, can't wait to hear the details.

Incredible, Randy. Congrats on another success story. You might as well sell off your lot of shooting irons.

Anyone could sneek up close with all that cover.

Thats a sweet looking bull!

Wow.... That is freakin' awesome. You are having a great year with the bow. The way you are getting things done this year the show should be off the charts next season.

You should have jumped on his back, riden him back to camp, and stabbed him there rather than shoot him at two yards several miles from the truck. Congrats. Great looking bull.

I have a feeling BigFin's taxidermist is going to be giving the local economy a boost in retail spending this year.... No end to the quality of animals needing to be put on the wall of his game room.

Great bull.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back