MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Mexico Archery Elk - Not really live

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I drove over from AZ last night and now am waiting for Troy to land at the Albuquerque airport so we can load up head out elk hunting. Haven't really gotten much sleep, as I had to do a week of laundry, try to reply to the most important of the couple hundred CPA firm emails, and get an oil change on the truck.

I know I am not gonna get too many tears shed on my behalf, but I am getting wore out already, and we have eight more episodes to do this fall. Been gone since the 8th and will be home on the 26th for a day, then off for another twenty days of filming. Damn, I have a great wife.

Here is the gig on this hunt.

Over the last year I have been approached by a lot of different groups to do TV things that are a spin off of the OYOA concept. Yup, OYOA has been a pretty big deal in the outdoor TV circles, coming out of nowhere and by last December, finishing 7th in the ratings/rankings of all Outdoor Channel shows. That raises some eyebrows.

I was offered a chance to do some other TV things that would have put the self-guided hunting gig in a pretty big spotlight. We worked on that over the course of the summer. As TV folks get involved, the hunting message gets more watered down and it puts me out of my element as hunter and more as an actor and TV personality - something I definitely am not.

To do this project, two landowner vouchers were purchased for me to use. I told them I wanted the vouchers to be available for public land and I did not want them to be the premier trophy units. So, they bought me a New Mexico archery elk voucher that allows me to hunt public land in this unit. They also bought me a landowner voucher for a Colorado mule deer hunt that could have been drawn with 1 preference point.

Roll forward the calendar to August. What had started as a pretty cool TV concept evolved into something I was not comfortable with. The financial rewards of that offer were significant and would have made this project much more profitable for me.

But, how this was evolving was not what I wanted to do with outdoor TV and strayed too far from the original OYOA concept. So, I pulled the plug at the last minute. That left a lot of people in a lurch, but it was not going the direction I had expected when the concept was first formed.

As part of my withdrawing from that concept, I was told I would be paying for these landowner vouchers. Fair enough. If that was the cost or consequence of keeping the OYOA concept going the same direction, that is what I would do.

Once I have time to re-coup and the smoke has cleared, I will tell the entire story about that concept, what it would have been, and everything else. Not that is matters, as we are going forward full-steam ahead with On Your Own Adventures, working with our production company, Warm Springs Productions, to produce the best quality TV we can.

I probably don't need to tell the world about the fact this is a hunt on a landowner voucher, even if it is a Unit-wide hunt. Really not anyone's business, but I have always tried to be as transparent as possible in how we are producing the show. In an industry that is full of smoke and mirrors, I not only want to have a different hunting content message, but a different approach to how we tell the viewers what we are REALLY doing.

I am sure some will rag on me for using the two landowner vouchers this year. Other option was to let them go in the trash. Just not in a financial position to do that.

As far as landowner vouchers go, I would pitch a really big fit if they tried to get those in my home state of Montana. Knowing that each state has their own system, which I HOPE reflects the wishes of the majority of their citizens, I accept that other states my look at landowner vouchers as a benefit to their wildlife programs. I guess that is why we have states rights and state control over wildlife.

This unit has no cell coverage, so updates will be very unlikely. I will be keeping a journal and will give the day-to-day when we return.

This will be the most difficult hunt of the year. It is a Wilderness Study Area with difficult access. In addition to the challenges of archery hunting, it will be Troy and I trying to haul all the camera gear, camp gear, food, and water, into a remote location. I am not sure we will be able to pull it off.

Thanks to the good folks at Kona Mountain Bikes, Bob Trailers, and the hunting bike experts at Summit Bike and Ski here in Bozeman, we will be doing this as a mountain bike hunt. MBs are allowed in this WSA, but not in most wilderness areas.

Since you cannot camp on state land in NM, we will have to go in and out every day, back to the BLM land where we can camp. Or, just hunt the BLM land, but the Google Earth and other research shows the best locations to be state land. About a three mile jaunt each way, through some pretty rough terrain. Water will be the biggest challenge, as it is scarce and what is there is not drinkable, even with a filter.

Carl at High Caliber Gear has given me a pretty good set up to test out on this hunt. I trust his knowledge and am confident we can stay alive and somewhat comfortable. Whether or not we can get the same high quality footage under these conditions, remains to be seen. If the footage suffers from the difficulty of what we are trying to do, I hope you will bear with us.

Gotta run and get Troy. We might have coverage until we drop off the map tomorrow morning, so I might provide and update tonight.

Its good your sticking with what you originally planned OYO to be..But no sense splitting hairs IMO, there are lots of ways to go OYO, even if its "helping" a buddy. L/O tags are by no means out of the reach of average guys, hell I've taken advantage of Colorado and Nevada's L/O tags several times, and I'm not exactly wealthy!

Everyone has their opinions on them..I dont mind Utah's, but we all know the extreme this state has taken it to...

P.S, there aint nuthin against making a few bucks of this gig! I damn sure wouldnt want to spend 2 months on the road for the hell of it...I know its hunting, but anyone thats done long trips knows you get burned out, gotta be some incentive, somewhere.

As always, best of luck to you Randy. Sounds like you are following your conscience and not the $$$ offers.Viva OYOA!

Mountain bike elk hunting...this should be good! Can't wait to hear the story and see the pictures.

Randy its very loyal of you to stick with the meaning of the show good luck and dont wear yourself down

Can't wait to see the be the decoy setup for the mountain bikes. This will take elk hunting to a new level!:D;) Good luck on the hunt way to stick with your original plan for OYOA.. Now you know what it's like to be a rock star. Oh the temptation;)

We are almost to the spot we want to be at. We pulled the truck off the side of the mountain road on a flat spot and guess what? A faint cell signal to make a connection with the HP mini.

We are already at plan B. Plan A seemed to be a pretty popular option and it was loaded with camps. I would rather hunt a less prime location by myself than to wade through the crowds at a hot spot. Nice to know that my Google Earthing and other research drew me to the same conclusion the outfitters and resident hunters know about.

So, we are headed around the other side of the mountain. Looks like we have about a two mile mountain bike ride to get to where my secondary location starts. From there, we will stash the bikes and hike the ridges, listening for bugles and glassing for bulls.

Not sure what to expect, as I have never hunted this unit before. The locals say it can be good. If we shoot something there is no doubt it is coming out in pieces.

Gonna hit the sack and try get some sleep tonight. I will try to find this same faint connection whenever possible and see if I can make this a true live hunt.

The bulls seem to be resting for their late morning nap. Not a bad spot for a Plan B, at least based on results this morning.

Troy said the bulls bulls bugled all night and kept him awake. I think he was smoking something, as I didn't hear anything. Given how hard I was sleeping and how much better his hearing is than mine, he could be correct.

At first light, we spotted four groups of elk. Two were being pushed up the ridges by some big dudes. The one bull I would shoot with a rifle tag. He allowed a young rag horn to mingle, but it appeared they had already sorted out who was who.

The other groups were further away and we did not go after them. We were pretty passive about just sitting and glassing to see what the bulls would do.

Looked like some other guys were hunting some of them. Since today is the last day of the second archery season, we decided to not call, as that might screw up the hunt for some of these other guys. Glassing on this ridge was more than enough for the morning.

Tonight we will glass again, making note of where the elk head to just before dark. The hope is they will be somewhere close come morning, allowing us to put a stalk on them.

Liking this place so far. Hope the elk cooperate, as I need all the cooperation I can get.

Congrats on sticking to doing things your way. I really enjoy the show the way you are executing it now. Especially being from Montana myself I really enjoy the Montana based episodes. Thanks for everything you do and good luck on your current hunt!

Just back in from the evening scout. A complete reversal from this morning.

No bulls spotted and only one faint bugle heard. This is not good. Tomorrow morning is the opener and I am completely clueless about what to do when the sun hits the horizon.

Went to look at the best waterhole I could find on Google Earth, only to find a land exchange now has that one private. Damn.

So, the only thing I know to do in situations like this is to put on the pack and start walking way before daylight. Listen for bugles and head towards the spot furthest from the roads.

There is another water tank about three miles from here, up and down a couple drainages. I am inclined to investigate, but as hot as it is, I am worried about getting one out, if I were lucky enough to find one that would sacrifice to my arrow.

I figured this morning was too good to be true. The good part of the elk rut is that they can re-appear as quickly as they disappear.

This is going to be a tough one. Five days to close the deal. Hot weather, full moon, and a place I have never hunted. Good news is full rut, scarce water supplies, and the fact that I am elk hunting, not at the office. Yup, I call that a great hunt, regardless of the outcome.

Will post again tomorrow if I can get a connection.

Three hours of hiking/climbing and we are above the water tank I was looking for. If I want to sit that water, I need to drop 800' of elevation.

This is not going how I hoped. At a pace of less than a mile per hour, it is foolish to think I could get an elk out of here without it spoiling in this hot weather.

Heard a couple faint bugles this morn. Nothing that indicates a group of frantic elk.

Going to finish the big loop today and see what is around the other side of the mountain. Should be completely whipped by tonight.

MBs are allowed in this WSA, but not in most wilderness areas.
I had no clue....got me thinking if my leatherman was outlawed from wilderness as well seems how it is just about as mechanical as a mountian bike. What is up with that? Can you even take a camera into wilderness? Anyway I can gripe forever on that subject alone.
Good luck on the hunt. I would pay money to see you peddling out with the antlers bungied to your handle bars like bull horns on boss hogs cadi and a hind quarter on your bike.:D

I just checked the NOAA website and you are only going to cool down a little in the coming days.

The whole scenario will make for a very challenging and original episode. Looking forward to some helmet cam footage on the MBs, but no crashes please.

Thanks for staying true to the OYOA reality concept.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back