New Mexico Audad

Do you want the entire story as it happens ish

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s lunch time we are in pretty deep I’d think around 5 miles we spotted a single sheep when were about 4 miles in and closed the gap. By that I mean we are still a mile out glassing the hillside the sheep was spotted on.

Day 3 we have officially decided the trailer batteries are dead. So no furnace at night which we don’t really care we are sheep hunting. Guide wants to head back into that hell hole we spent the day in yesterday he grew up hunting this and says he knows they are in that country. After watching a single elk turn onto 5-15 elk multiple times on this trip in land that looks barren I believe him. Hopefully today we turn some sheep up I only need to get lucky once on this trip that time will come soon.

Tonight is kind of a mixed bag of emotions for me. I finally spotted a ram which I was super pumped to have been the one to spotting it first. I only saw him for about 20 seconds no one else saw him. Which is cool I spotted it but would have almost rather the guide put eyes on him to actually know what I saw. We are now 3 days down with 2 left to go. Probably burned about 8 miles down today. The ram we did see was about 2 miles out and we didn’t have enough light to make a play and at the rate he was traveling who knows where he is headed. Tonight is green chili enchiladas a couple whiskeys and I’m gonna take a shower. This is the point in hunts when I start feeling pressure 3 days down on a 5 day hunt is not a good feeling with how few of sheep I feel we are finding. But today I watched a bull elk bed and he was completely gone so it’s not very hard for a much smaller animal to disappear.

Embrace the suck. I could only commit 2.5 field days in my five day elk hunt this year. We were able to rule out where they weren’t. You can commit all five days and we all know more time in the field increases the odds in your favor.

Embrace the suck. I could only commit 2.5 field days in my five day elk hunt this year. We were able to rule out where they weren’t. You can commit all five days and we all know more time in the field increases the odds in your favor.
I’m hoping we have ruled out where they aren’t and tomorrow we will focus on where they are

They day started with the guide changing spots on us which personally even after seeing the ram yesterday I was all for. Funny thing is I was looking at the spot we hunted today on onX couple days ago and thought it looked good. So we hike up into this nasty hell hole and as soon as we get in guess what…..more elk. We spent most the day moving about a half mile to mile at a time glassing. Every time we stopped we would find more bulls. After putting down about 10 miles today it happened we spotted a good herd of sheep. They were about 2 miles off and we had about 90 min of daylight. Time to burn some serious boot leather and close the gap. We dropped down off and started hurrying about half way the guide picked up a horse shoe told me it would be lucky and stuffed it into my pack. About 40 min later we are rounding the bend in the bottom and I spot the tree we have for a marker. Almost to it is the herd of sheep coming across the hill. 732 yards way too far in this wind. I sneak about a 100 yards and get behind a knob and start running up the hill. When I run out of terrain I pull out the range finder 560 yards this is gonna have to work I find a rock to lay the rifle on. I hear from behind me the big ram is in the back. I’m busy messing with my ballistics ap and what not by the time I get on the gun he had moved up. I ask where he is as I’m scanning the herd. Ow never mind there is a tank standing on the hill. I ask if they are on it and send it. First shot I missed high still winded from my run. He moves about 30 yards across the hill while I reload and follow him in the scope the second shot is perfect I get him back in the scope just in time to see him stop rolling.

Attachments

• IMG_4073.jpeg
    IMG_4073.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Caribou Gear

Latest posts