Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico 4th Choice for Elk

chip3757

I tried to search the forum for some info on this but could not really find anything.

Does anyone use the New Mexico 4th choice for Elk? From what I can tell they will break the state up into 4 quadrants and award a tag if available in the quadrant you chose. It will be with the weapon of your first choice.

What are your thoughts? are there some really bad tags out there that you would get stuck with? I would really like to hunt NM thisyear and I am considering doing a 4th choice as well (Bow Hunt).

i would be very cautious about this! U have no control over what u get on the 4th choice. And I can assure all the half way decent hunts will be drawn. I guess if u really don’t care at all what they give u, bull,cow or a terrible unit with no elk then go for it. But I’d choose OTC in CO over some of those leftovers.

Checked the proclamation. and it states the 4th choice will always the same sporting-arm type as your 1st choice.

And, no I have never applied.

The 4th choice would be an antlerless bag limit, if that is a concern.

Last edited:
This is an expensive move if you’re out of state. I wouldn’t recommend it.

If you want to bow hunt elk, go to Souther Colorado. It’s basicallg indistinguishable from Northern NM and the season is longer and it’s OTC.

There is still a chance to draw a decent tag. Before this was introduced, NMGF had fire sale on leftover tag. First come, first serve. There was a leftover Vermejo cow hunt that my brother drew. It was fun.

In state in the Gila it might be worthwhile. Especially bow, I think you might draw a wilderness tag. Tough hunt

Out of state, too many dollars for the unknown.+

Awesome, thanks for the feedback, looks like 4th choice is a no go. I’ve been trying to figure out Colorado if I don’t draw NM. I am super excited to hunt next year. First goal is just to hear an elk bugle in person instead of watching it on tv.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back