What is your single top hunting season goal this year? I expect updates damn it.

Hammsolo

What’s your top goal? I want you to think about this. Really challenge yourself to pick the 1. I could talk about my knees, killing a mature mule deer buck, harvesting a critter on my new property.

My long term goal has been termed the Hamm Slam. This goal specifically is to harvest mature big game on my land in Montana; elk, whitetail, mule deer, and finally a moose. That last one will take a minute.

The challenge is to narrow it down to the most critical goal for this season, but I’ve got it. I want to kill a bull this year. When I lived back in Montana 20 years ago I killed a bull nearly every year, but life changed that. I moved to Washington, and my goals shifted. I was in a seriously shitty relationship that gradually nearly eliminated all my hobbies. My opportunities and time became limited, so I focused on what I had. That was time and opportunity to hunt deer. I haven‘t killed a bull in 22 years, and I’ve killed 9.

I am hunting Washington archery elk, and all seasons in Montana. The dream would be to kill a bull with my bow, but I’ll be stoked to harvest any bull at all this year. My actions will be to get out every moment I can and hunt hard. I’ll also be learning a ton. Currently I’m shooting at least every other day, and 3D shooting a minimum of 3 times a week at Spokane Valley Archery. I am also listening to loads of podcasts and calling my brains out in my truck.

I’ll try to keep you guys updated, and look forward to you doing the same!

For my buddy and I to fill 3rd season bull tags in CO.

Last time I went 3rd season, in 2021, he killed a 300" 6 point and I killed a 275" 6x7. It's a glassing game, and I have a BTX 115 rented for this trip. I can't wait!

Last edited:
For my buddie and I to fill 3rd season bull tags in CO.

Last time I went 3rd season, in 2021, he killed a 300" 6 point and I killed a 275" 6x7. It's a glassing game, and I have a BTX 115 rented for this trip. I can't wait!

Hell yeah! That sounds awesome. I wish you guys luck, and look forward to updates. Rifle? Any bull?

Complete my first AK hunting trip w reasonable proficiency.

(Meaning, navigate logistics from/to lower 48, don't get chased out of the backcountry by injury, gear failure, weather for which I wasn't prepared, bears, or general stupidity that would have an Alaskan shaking their head.)

Checked this one off the list, and harvested a not-huge-but-not-tiny caribou bull as a bonus.

To kill an elk in MT. Lived there long enough to get one season as a resident almost 25 years ago, had to move away right before the season and only had a week to hunt, came away with a grouse. Had the big game combo last season and had a decent archery elk hunt but no luck, other than a nice grouse, then the rifle season kinda fell apart on me with vehicle issues and nut deep snow, barely got to hunt. Got lucky enough to draw again this year, skipped the deer tag so focused on elk. Secondary goals (can't help it) are a colockum spike (had a million chances on spikes and cows up there over the years and still 0 kills), and a WA mule deer on archery, have a "buck" special permit for late archery and really want to make an effort.

drop my first elk and get @Dsnow9 a nice bull in 4th season

First elk are epic! I was stupefied when I saw my first bull through my scope. I was shaking so hard that I had to look away. At one point I even wondered if I was dreaming. I proceeded to sadly shoot him right in the ass. Thank God the adrenaline flushed and I locked in. It allowed me to double lung him. I can still see the whole thing. I’m stoked to here about both adventures!!!

To kill an elk in MT. Lived there long enough to get one season as a resident almost 25 years ago, had to move away right before the season and only had a week to hunt, came away with a grouse. Had the big game combo last season and had a decent archery elk hunt but no luck, other than a nice grouse, then the rifle season kinda fell apart on me with vehicle issues and nut deep snow, barely got to hunt. Got lucky enough to draw again this year, skipped the deer tag so focused on elk. Secondary goals (can't help it) are a colockum spike (had a million chances on spikes and cows up there over the years and still 0 kills), and a WA mule deer on archery, have a "buck" special permit for late archery and really want to make an effort.

I have a few spots staked out for WA elk too. That late archery hunt should be fun. Good luck!

Taking my Brittany on our first trip to MT in a week. This will be his 2nd season, but first time pointing (hopefully) Sharpies and Huns. Goal is for things to "click" this year.

@JLS should be excited by that one. I hope he’ll be up for taking me chasing birds this winter, and my knees will be up for it also.

My #1 goal this season is for a bull to hit the deck, this will be my 12th year hunting and I shot bulls year 1 and 3. I used up a lot of my luck early and hunt an either sex tag every year. I have always followed the mantra of brown it’s down for elk which has led to a lot of cows in the freezer. I have put in a lot of hard work over the last couple years and feel I have learned a lot about elk rather than just getting lucky in the same spot.

I don’t care if @MtnElk shoots one or if I do but I want to see a bull down this year. It might take someone else holding my bullets though.

3 of us with NM cow paper and freezer fare in mind. But fellowship in new country, as usual, will be my takeaway.

Sounds awesome to me! One of my “necessaries” is meat in the freezer. I’ll get some hunting in with my brother @Hamm59701 and my brother from another mother. We all have busy lives though, and it’s hard to hook up. I find myself hunting alone most often. I took a couple of rookies this last year, and it was fun. I miss hunting with someone that can really push me hard though.

Try to practice some self control and hold out for a mature bull with any weapon on a general tag here in Montana. Also have a rifle antelope tag in my pocket. Not to picky on that tag. Would like to get out with my bow a few days if possible for antelope. #1 goal is a respectable bull this year.

Continue my quest for the #30inchtallbuck. In other terms tag soup for MD here in MT. Might shoot that 170” mtn troll if I see him again this year.

Over the last year I’ve come to the realization my body won’t hold up forever to the abuses I’ve put it through over the last 20 years, mainly my ankles. For me sheep and goat have always kinda been the ultimate goal, don’t really care if I draw the tag or one of my daughters, just want to go on one. At 43 with 9 points and a handful of daughters with varying points it’s certainly possible one of us draw but just as likely I run out of WD-40 in my joints before that happens.

So next best thing I can do in the meantime, backcountry Deer and elk. This year I’m really gonna try and get in to some backcountry/high country areas and kill some mature animals. I’ve been in Montana over 10 years now and been a part of probably close to 100 deer and elk and lope hitting the ground with my girls, family and friends. In all that they were nearly all within 2 miles of a road and less than 7000 ft in elevation. The one friend I had to hunt the mountains with graduated college and moved last year so I’m pretty much on my own. My best friend is a less than 2 miles and my wife won’t let me stay overnight guy so no luck there. My daughters are in to the rifle hunts but not so much archery season. But I’m gonna get after it if I turn in to grizzly bait or not. All or nothing this season. I’m gonna kill a big mule deer or elk over 300 in the mountains, with a bow, that’s the goal.

Also going to look at Alaska in the next 5 years. And put a date on it.

Back