Yeti GOBOX Collection

My Sons First Deer

awapiti

My son got his first deer, a four point buck today! After several missed opportunities beginning with antelope, things finally worked out and he made a terrific shot on this buck.
He definitely earned this buck! He put lots of miles on his boots and fought the horizontal snow all day yesterday.

We had spotted some does about 600 yards away, and started our stalk. When we were about three hundred yards from the does, they spooked, though I am not sure why. We had the wind in our faces and were completely out of sight. Oh well...son was not happy...here we go again, he says. I encouraged him to stick with it and suggested that we go to the next ridge to see if they had stopped. We slowly worked our way up and sure enough they were low on the next ridge over, but now there was a buck with them. We got him positioned prone, using my backpack as a rest. He made sure he had a solid rest and waited what seemed like an eternity (to Dad) and finally made the shot. He showed great composure and restraint and waited until the shot felt perfect before pulling the trigger. I must have said "okay, take him now" each time the buck turned broadside, at least 20 times. :D

His brother stayed home this trip as we had been unsuccessful thus far and he thought it would be more of the same. I am pretty sure he will join us next time.

Wyattmontanabuck2011030.jpg
[/IMG]

Congratulations on a fine buck....the first of many I sure!
It will be a day that neither one of you will forget!

Congrats to both of you. There is nothing like watching your kids take their first deer.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Live2huntelk
Back