MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My first new vehicle

If you want to support UAW, buy a UAW vehicle not a foreign-made vehicle.

PS. Toyota moved all Tacoma production to Mexico.

Well mine was made in Atlanta. 1998.
I can support the UAW or any Union. I don't even have to buy anything. I can just support the workers.

I sure don't think any management is worth a million paycheck or any deserves one. They don't WORK.

Well mine was made in Atlanta. 1998.
I can support the UAW or any Union. I don't even have to buy anything. I can just support the workers.
Okay. It seems to me that's "saying" you support the workers. The ones who really support them, literally and financially, are the people who purchase the vehicles they make. My hard-earned money goes to people who build Ford trucks... that's how I support the workers. Talk is cheap, buying the vehicles the workers make is what puts a roof over their head and food in their kid's stomachs

Last edited:
Okay. It seems to me that's "saying" you support the workers. The ones who really support them, literally and financially, are the people who purchase the vehicles they make. My hard-earned money goes to people who build Ford trucks... that's how I support the workers. Talk is cheap, buying the vehicles the workers make is what puts a roof over their head and food in their kid's stomachs
Well my F-150 was build in Canada...by union workers.

I'm 51 years old and just put an order in for a new F150.

I've always bought trucks that were a couple of years old and had a little bit of the warranty left on them. Used to be that you could get them for 25-35% less than new. That was a significant savings on vehicles that weren't even broken in yet. Apparently those days are gone and now you're lucky to get a 10% savings on used with warranty. Nobody (and I mean no dealer) has the truck I want on the lot so I figured 'what the hell, might as well get what I want if I'm only saving a little bit of money on a used one'.

It sucks to have to pay such an insane price for a vehicle but now that I have another driver in the family, and my truck is getting on in years, it's time.
Congrats on the new ride. We did the same in 2018 and it was a good truck. It was the most comfortable we had. If it wasn’t for the camper we would still happily be driving it today. Post some pics when she is here.

Nothing like new car smell. Always been a Ford guy. My last new one was a 2004 F150 that’s has 200,000+ on it now. It’s been a great vehicle. Thinking a new one next spring. Probably Ford but the new Tundras intrigue me as well.

OK guys,

Some of you, it seems, are new to the internet...

If you're against the UAW there's no way you are going to convince the UAW backers that the union is corrupt and destructive of jobs.

If you are for the UAW you aren't going to convince people against the UAW that the union is a paragon of virtue, fighting to save the downtrodden working man and bring down those damned greedy executives.

I just came on here to brag about getting a new truck and bitch about how damned expensive everything has become. So, for the well wishers, thanks for the comments and thumbs up.

Nothing like new car smell. Always been a Ford guy. My last new one was a 2004 F150 that’s has 200,000+ on it now. It’s been a great vehicle. Thinking a new one next spring. Probably Ford but the new Tundras intrigue me as well.

My 2011 F150 (I bought it in 2013 with 30k on it) just turned 181,000, and has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned, though my wife's Toyota has been even better. I'll make my son a hell of a deal on it and he'll drive it for the next few years, at least until he's out of high school.

We've had five Ford SUV's. The first, a 1998 explorer, was a very reliable vehicle. The next two, not so much. My wife had an early model escape that had a tranny crap out at 80k. The next was another explorer that had serious suspension issues and a differential that went to hell. I still have a 2004 escape and a 2009 escape that my kids drive. The 2004 is at the end of its life at 140k miles and the 2009 only has about 75k on it. I've never heard anyone brag about escapes being long lived vehicles though, and I wouldn't have bought the two that I have if I didn't get screaming deals on them.

I've also owned Chevys, Buicks, and a Honda. I no longer have any brand loyalty. Ford has been good to me with trucks (this will be my fifth) but honestly, there isn't a vehicle out there that makes me say, "Oh! I'd like to have one of those."

Yes, to answer your last question. Did you forget about the concessions UAW gave to save the big 3?

Typical bullchit, times are tough, workers are asked to share the chit times. Pay cuts, pension cuts, higher cost of healthcare, etc.

Record profits and the workers have to strike to piece of that.

What a joke.

A+ though on the rest of your thrashing and bad mouthing of American labor. Glad your high moral code allows you to decide what American workers "deserve" in wages, benefits, and their standard of living you deem them worthy of.

Unbelievable.
With all due respect, record profits just isn't true. Maybe a record in terms of actual dollars but that number means nothing. The data is available online but take Ford as an example - in 2018, they posted a net profit margin of 2.29%, 0.03% in 2019, -1.01% in 2020, 13.16% in 2021 and -1.25% in 2022. In 2023, thery are currently running at 2.44%. Hardly a great money-making machine and not a business that I would invest in. Any business that hopes to grow targets 9-11% net profit margin. General Motors did somewhat better, and were at least fairly consistent: 2018 @ 5.38%, 2019 @ 4.8%, 2020 @ 5.1%, 2021 @ 7.75%, and 2022 @ 5.69%. Better but not a business that is wildly profitable either. Both are barely treading water. Compare to Microsoft at > 33% profit (minimum) over that same timeframe with a peak in 2021 at 38.5%. Now that's a company that should raise your ire.

Personally, I think every worker should go and negotiate his/her own salary. Take the ownership and responsibility; it's your muscle, brain, experience, etc. If the company you work for isn't paying you what you think you are worth, go somewhere else. It is a free market.

With all due respect, record profits just isn't true. Maybe a record in terms of actual dollars but that number means nothing. The data is available online but take Ford as an example - in 2018, they posted a net profit margin of 2.29%, 0.03% in 2019, -1.01% in 2020, 13.16% in 2021 and -1.25% in 2022. In 2023, thery are currently running at 2.44%. Hardly a great money-making machine and not a business that I would invest in. Any business that hopes to grow targets 9-11% net profit margin. General Motors did somewhat better, and were at least fairly consistent: 2018 @ 5.38%, 2019 @ 4.8%, 2020 @ 5.1%, 2021 @ 7.75%, and 2022 @ 5.69%. Better but not a business that is wildly profitable either. Both are barely treading water. Compare to Microsoft at > 33% profit (minimum) over that same timeframe with a peak in 2021 at 38.5%. Now that's a company that should raise your ire.

Personally, I think every worker should go and negotiate his/her own salary. Take the ownership and responsibility; it's your muscle, brain, experience, etc. If the company you work for isn't paying you what you think you are worth, go somewhere else. It is a free market.
Negotiate salary on your own?

Remember, many are calling these American workers "unskilled labor".

You think it's reasonable for them to negotiate wages with Management who's job it is to pay them as little as possible in both wages and benefits?

There's a name for that, it's called begging.

Collective bargaining levels the playing field.

Negotiate salary on your own?

Remember, many are calling these American workers "unskilled labor".

You think it's reasonable for them to negotiate wages with Management who's job it is to pay them as little as possible in both wages and benefits?

There's a name for that, it's called begging.

Collective bargaining levels the playing field.
I don't consider them unskilled. I am always humbled by people that have learned a craft and honed it over years of practice. Mechanic, blacksmith, electrician, gunsmith, the list can go on and on. While I went to college and got an advanced engineering degree, that's not for everyone. It works for me. But I've done the manual labor thing too. Put myself through school in the process.

Yes, I think it is reasonable for anyone to go in and negotiate their salary and benefits. It's in their best interest to do so. No one is going to advocate for them better than themselves. And it's not begging, it's negotiating; a fair trade of labor for a fair salary. Collective bargaining just lumps everyone into a "group" and assigns a value to that group regardless of skill or work ethic. It's only about time in the job. No incentive to do anything but show up for the day and notch another 8 hrs.

I don't consider them unskilled. I am always humbled by people that have learned a craft and honed it over years of practice. Mechanic, blacksmith, electrician, gunsmith, the list can go on and on. While I went to college and got an advanced engineering degree, that's not for everyone. It works for me. But I've done the manual labor thing too. Put myself through school in the process.

Yes, I think it is reasonable for anyone to go in and negotiate their salary and benefits. It's in their best interest to do so. No one is going to advocate for them better than themselves. And it's not begging, it's negotiating; a fair trade of labor for a fair salary. Collective bargaining just lumps everyone into a "group" and assigns a value to that group regardless of skill or work ethic. It's only about time in the job. No incentive to do anything but show up for the day and notch another 8 hrs.
I think you've never sat across the table from sharks asking for a pay raise, better benefits, etc.

I have. It's not something that many American workers know how to do, or more importantly, just aren't comfortable doing.

So, knowing those things to be facts, what chance does a lone American worker have "negotiating" with professionals being paid to beat them down?

That's the very reason for collective bargaining, giving those without the know how or comfort level, a voice.

Has jack chit to do with your allegedly lack of work ethic. Also, I'm not sure why you feel an employee owes the company more than what they're getting paid for.

Maybe you like to work for free, but my time is too valuable to give away.

OK guys,

Some of you, it seems, are new to the internet...

If you're against the UAW there's no way you are going to convince the UAW backers that the union is corrupt and destructive of jobs.

If you are for the UAW you aren't going to convince people against the UAW that the union is a paragon of virtue, fighting to save the downtrodden working man and bring down those damned greedy executives.

I just came on here to brag about getting a new truck and bitch about how damned expensive everything has become. So, for the well wishers, thanks for the comments and thumbs up.
Sorry for the hijack....i'll take the hit on that one. Hope you have a great truck for a long time!!

Hmm...
Ford CEO salary in 2022 $20,996,146
GM CEO salary in 2022 $28,979,570
Chrysler/Stellantis CEO 2022 $24.8 million
This is their yearly salary, the workers are not going to make that much in their lifetimes.

So who cares what the profit margin is when they can afford to pay themselves this much?
And they always want the workers to tighten their belts for the good of the company. It's time for the CEO's of these companies to take a hit to their wallet, big time.

If you think $28/hour is a reasonable wage to support a family, you're living in Fantasyland. Hand to mouth wages, just the way it is.
Definitely not a reasonable wage with current gas prices.....

This strike now is also about how the big three can successfully and efficiently transition to EVs and keep pace or catch up to Tesla. Strike may be hurting that

Hmm...
Ford CEO salary in 2022 $20,996,146
GM CEO salary in 2022 $28,979,570
Chrysler/Stellantis CEO 2022 $24.8 million
This is their yearly salary, the workers are not going to make that much in their lifetimes.

So who cares what the profit margin is when they can afford to pay themselves this much?
And they always want the workers to tighten their belts for the good of the company. It's time for the CEO's of these companies to take a hit to their wallet, big time.
So - it is about jealousy, not employee well-being. Because if you divided the Ford CEO salary across his 173,000 employees they would each get a $120 annual raise. I mean if that is all the UAW is asking for I say give it to them now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back