PEAX Equipment

My first new vehicle

Gut Shot

I'm 51 years old and just put an order in for a new F150.

I've always bought trucks that were a couple of years old and had a little bit of the warranty left on them. Used to be that you could get them for 25-35% less than new. That was a significant savings on vehicles that weren't even broken in yet. Apparently those days are gone and now you're lucky to get a 10% savings on used with warranty. Nobody (and I mean no dealer) has the truck I want on the lot so I figured 'what the hell, might as well get what I want if I'm only saving a little bit of money on a used one'.

It sucks to have to pay such an insane price for a vehicle but now that I have another driver in the family, and my truck is getting on in years, it's time.

Last edited:
The savings gap with lightly used and new does seem to be minimal these days. So what did you go with, Raptor, Lightning, etc. Color? I'm not real loyal to any brand, I've been driving F-150s for quite a few years.

I'm 51 years old and just put an order in for a new F150.

I've always bought trucks that were a couple of years old and had a little bit of the warranty left on them. Used to be that you could get them for 25-35% less than new. That was a significant savings on vehicles that weren't even broken in yet. Apparently those days are gone and now you're lucky to get a 10% savings on used with warranty. Nobody (and I mean no dealer) has the truck I want on the lot so I figured 'what the hell, might as well get what I want if I'm only saving a little bit of money'.

It sucks to have to pay such an insane price for a vehicle but now that I have another driver in the family, and my truck is getting on in years, it's time.
What timeframe are they giving you for delivery?

The savings gap with lightly used and new does seem to be minimal these days. So what did you go with, Raptor, Lightning, etc. Color? I'm not real loyal to any brand, I've been driving F-150s for quite a few years.
Just an XLT, I wasn't hung up on the trim, I just needed a 4x4 supercrew with a V-8 and tow package. Went with "Atlas Blue".

What timeframe are they giving you for delivery?
When I asked the dealer just shrugged. They said that it was taking 6-8 weeks but that was for the 2023's. Now they are shifting over to 2024 and that whole UAW bullshit that's going on now. I was honestly looking at Toyotas but they just don't make what I want.

I got lucky in my truck as it was a branded title vehicle with 16,000miles Got in a fender bender and the original grill and one fender got crunched. Plastic grill didnt take the hit very well. Front bumper, grill and fender got replaced. Got inspected and certified thing was in mint condition. When I came across it I had it checked over by 2 independent mechanics since I was not in the area. Got that truck for about 15k less then what they had been going for. Thing has been flawless since I got it.

I recommend that route if you have 2 or 3 good independent mechanics take a good look at them first. Especially if it was in a minor accident like mine was. Good deals can be had on nearly brand new vehicles.

When I asked the dealer just shrugged. They said that it was taking 6-8 weeks but that was for the 2023's. Now they are shifting over to 2024 and that whole UAW bullshit that's going on now. I was honestly looking at Toyotas but they just don't make what I want.
Toyotas are even more screwed for supply. My SIL has had his on order for 9 months and they still just shrug when he asks for updates. Of course, UAW thing could be Ford on a similar timeline. I was planning on ordering a 2024 F150 in March in the hopes of letting a few early 2024 manufacturing wrinkles work out Nov-Mar and still have it by June. My guess is UAW has shot that plan right between the eyes.

I buy trucks for the company I work for and from what the dealership told me Ford has a contract and won’t be affected from the strike…..but that came from a salesman so take it for what’s it’s worth.

I buy trucks for the company I work for and from what the dealership told me Ford has a contract and won’t be affected from the strike…..but that came from a salesman so take it for what’s it’s worth.
As I understand it the strike (so far) doesn't effect the plants making trucks. Last I heard they were still in negotiations but that Ford was making progress with the union.

More importantly, on the union front, the vegas hotel workers are about to screw up a Vegas trip with my buddies - red blooded Americans can’t stand for that

I'm sorry that the UAW Union, fighting for their employees for a better standard of living, are inconveniencing your truck purchase.

I got sticker shock when shopping for “slightly used” vehicles for my daughter last month. I came to a similar conclusion and just said to heck with it and bought her a new one.

Have you looked at just getting one off the lot? Trucks seem to be everywhere these days....Search in not only your state, but others and fly in to get it if you get a decent deal.

I have never owned a new truck or car. Closest was my Tacoma which was 2 years old on the dealer lot.
I watched the price drop from $18,999 to $14,999 and went in.

Was just thinking what if? Naah.
Making plans to do a resto-mod on the 98 in 6 months.

Union Strong! USA!
My Tacoma was made in USA!

Yep did the same thing in 21. I am 45 never had a new vechile...I got discount thru work due some of our fleet being Ford. Plus Ford Marketing sent me a 3k PCO...so I ordered a 250, got 11k off the sticker...It was about 1k cheaper than the couple used ones they had on the lot at the time.I did have to wait 9 months for it to be delivered.

If you haven't call Ford Marketing and ask to be sent promotional info on F150s I would. I would imagine you would get a Private Cash Offer coupon before it's delivered...usually they are worth1500-3000.

Did the same thing last year.
IMG_0645.jpeg

I’d suggest dropping to the XL trim and getting it with the Heavy Duty Payload Package for real pay load. The HDPP is only available on the XL trim and gives you a 7850 GVWR instead of the 7050 GVWR. You’ve already got the 157” wheelbase for it if you got the 6 1/2’ bed.

Learned that lesson after buying my 2020 (red truck) and the sales man said the biggest GVWR you can get is 7050.
IMG_8345.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back