Caribou Gear Tarp

My Avatar Is

I'm now lead coordinator for Arizona Elk Society's Hunts for Heroes, a wholly volunteer-based program started not quite 2 years ago. Hunters successful in Arizona's big game draws can donate their tags to a qualified 501c3 organization, such as the Arizona Elk Society (the reasons for the original tag holders not going hunting vary). We provide all-inclusive hunts here in Arizona to qualified permanently-disabled resident veterans free of charge --- everything from javelina to, last December, desert bighorn sheep (an unbelievable event!) ...

I took a day off work to duck hunt a spot on the Hatchie River in West TN. The spot had not paid off for several seasons in any real way and I just went for old times sake really, just keeping touch. I killed two ducks early before good light and considered myself lucky not to get skunked. About 9:30 a little flight started and I ended up with a limit. Huey is the lab in the pic. In his day he was a force of nature, as good as I have ever seen and better than I ever hope to have again. It was a cool day for me.
HD

My daughter and I on top of Sugarloaf Mtn, in Stillkickin's neighborhood. Lake Superior in the background

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 194
First trip to Montana, fishing in Glacier NP. I can't wait to go back.

Altai Ibex from the Altai mountain in Mongolia. I was asked to be the keynote speaker for the 2012 Annual Mine Closure & Reclamation Conference in Mongolia. Seeing that the conference was also during ibex season really got me excited. Ibex hunting was a bucket list item for me that I didn't think I would get to do. Even with a last minute discounted tag it still really strapped us financially, but we made it work. It was a different feeling knowing how much the family was sacrificing to let me go. I wasn't coming home without one even if it killed me. The Altai mountain are a very hard place to hunt and I was the only person in camp to get one. I shot him at about 5:30 PM. After butchering and trophy prep we left the kill site around 7:30 PM. We made it back to the jeeps around 2:00 AM in temps well below freezing. It was a brutal hike out and was in terrible shape have not time to train. The trophy isn't a monster, but it represents so many things and a lot of memories.

The year before I went the guys from Eastmans went and swore they would never go back. Their episode is on Youtube. We flew into the same remote airport and, I believe, hunted the same mountain range.

IMG_3568.jpg

Bigfoot riding the Lochness monster. I'm gonna bag 'em both and become all famous and whatnot.

I'm enjoying a cold beer after a day of fishing on the river in Canada, it's one of my favorite trips and heading back next June.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back