Yeti GOBOX Collection

multi purpose rifle

deputy338

Okay guys need some help, I am looking for a multi purpose rifle that I can use for a back up whitetail gun and coyotes. But this will also be a gun I will pass on to my son when he is old enough. Thinking of either a Howa 243 or 7mm-08. I also have been looking towards the TC prohunter and just swapping barrels. any advise would be nice.
Thanks,
Deputy

I am a Browning fan. Abolt or Xbolt both nice rifles. 25-06 or 7mm-08 both good choices.

I prefer the the 7mm-08 the the .243 because it will still dispatch varmints but it can handle larger game a little better. That being said, if deer and coyotes are all that will be hunted, it would be hard to argue with the .243. The howa would make a fine choice. For what its worth, until you get the prohunter, two barrels and two scopes, you can justify buying two rifles for the same money. It does give you other options, I'm just not that big of a fan.

I've been a 25-06 fan for years. I purchased my wife and daughter a 6.5 Creedmoor a few years back and have been quite impressed with it on Antelope and Mule deer. One of those two would be my recommendation. Good luck

I bought my wife a .308 as her all purpose rifle. There's a lot of ammo choices to load up or down depending on the game, plus the recoil is manageable for your son and whoever else wants to shoot it. Plus if you decide to come out west, it will handle elk and mule deer easily.

Last edited:
You can NOT beat a 6mm/243 for killing coyotes or deer.
The 6 will never be a "GOOD" fur gun but any game up to an elk.
Stay away from the overly popular 100 gr bullets if you really want to "USE" the full potential of a 6mm.
With that said:
a 7mm 08 is basically a 308 . Very good for anything including elk.
A little over the top for varmints but very doable.
:hump:

I used to find the prospect of switching barrels appealing. Figured I could QD ring/base em and switch optics. Eventually picked up a prohunter but didn't go the multiple barrel route....accurate as hell but never really warmed to the balance, break over, or trigger. Guess I like the lock up and repeat of bolt. That said, the falling block #1 will always be my favorite. The .243 is about the most fun gun I've used to have never owned. Do have a Montana 7-08 and will admit it shoots well but I don't seem to keep that little light rig still enough to do it justice.

I would favor the 7mm-08 over the .243 as well. If for no other reason than after a few years your son will be able to handle most any cartridge, and my personal opinion is that the .243 is still on the light end of things.

How old's your son? If he's a youngster, I'd consider a 223. He'll shoot it way more and it's more than capable for deer/coyote's with the right bullet if legal in your state. Since we have a stupid 6mm/243" minimum in this state for deer, my soon to be 9yo will be getting a 243. I'd go with a smaller case if money wasn't so tight, but it is what it is. I'll just load it down a bit for him. I also would go the route of a bolt gun. I too am enamored by the thought of a switch barrel rifle, but the more I've thought about it the more I think it's way better in theory than practice.

Of the two choices you've listed, I'd go with the 243.

I'm a .243 guy for sure, but its definitely a thinking man's gun and really requires a fast twist to play around with good BC bullets like the Amax. The high BC 6mm bullets are all target bullets, not hunting bullets. I've killed Whitetails, Pronghorns and a mule deer with .243 all just fine and I am very confident with the gun but I have a hard time not always looking for a little more gun. The thing I dislike is that a lot of manufacturers spec .243 with a 1-10" twist which is too slow for Amax/Berger VLD type bullets. .243 really shines in precision rifle matches when you can shoot .500+ BC bullets at 2900 fps with very little recoil. Its also very good with mono hunting bullets like the Barnes TTSX because of the high velocity (80 gr at 3450 fps).

7mm-08 and the 6.5mm rounds are better suited for hunting applications and have a lot more bullet and load combinations available. They are pretty tame with 100/120 gr loads and really hit the sweet spot for deer sized game with the potential for elk.

I would suggest staying with a short action. Your stated choices of 243 or 7mm-08 are both excellent. I own both and have shot deer and coyotes with both.

However, I profess to being intrigued and would take a harder look at the 6.5 Creedmore. It splits the gap from .244 - .284 at .264. Looks like a perfect compromise to me! :) But, with any of these calibers or even a 308, there isn't a bad choice.

I would suggest staying with a short action. Your stated choices of 243 or 7mm-08 are both excellent. I own both and have shot deer and coyotes with both.

However, I profess to being intrigued and would take a harder look at the 6.5 Creedmore. It splits the gap from .244 - .284 at .264. Looks like a perfect compromise to me! :) But, with any of these calibers or even a 308, there isn't a bad choice.

the 6.5 creedmoor is a great round! it should not be overlooked and has taken down everything from coyotes to elk. tons of bullet weights and styles for the reloader.

Well i am not a reloader but i might be sold on the 6.5 cm. Might have to email matt-lsi on a new multicam. Now just got to pick out the glass!

Well i am not a reloader but i might be sold on the 6.5 cm. Might have to email matt-lsi on a new multicam. Now just got to pick out the glass!

Buy a Leupold VX 3i from Predator Optics. Great deal and a great guy. Send Schmalts a PM, I think he still has some at a reduced price.

If it's mostly coyotes and whitetails a smaller caliber may work ok. I only have 1 rifle that I use for everything from pronghorn and deer to elk, moose, sheep, and mtn goat. It's a 300 WSM. It kicks about the same as a 270. I shot prairie dogs, coyotes, deer, and antelope with a 270 when I was a kid. The 270 was a bit small for elk, moose, and mtn goat. I also have a TC Prohunter that you mentioned. I only have a 50 cal muzzy barrel on it. With a 1x dot scope plus sabots I could hit a pie plate every shot at 200 yards. That's pretty darn good for a muzzleloader. I bought a 300 Winchester barrel for it and took it back. It had the worse kick I've ever experienced. A smaller caliber rifle wouldn't likely kick as much. If you whitetail hunt much it would be good to have a barrel for muzzy plus a 2nd rifle barrel for whitetail season. The Prohunter is super light and would be nice for carrying around...unfortunately that's why the 300 Win barrel kicked so bad!

Anyone that claims a .243 is too small for elk, has likely never shot an elk with a .243.

This dude here, he's killed somewhere between 40 and 50 elk with a .243 and 100 grain partitions. As far as I know, he hasn't lost one.

My friend, packing a hind from an elk he shot with his .243.

IMG_0471.JPG

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MachineSub GN 4576225912G
Back