PEAX Equipment

7mm recoil help

Same as everyone above.
I took off the stock pad and put a limb saver on my 7mm
you'll like it

I have a Ruger 7mm that’s been a tack driving fool, only one problem starting to rear its head, noticeable recoil. I shoot 140 grain anything as it never deviated from anything I put through it. I am 53, shoulder arthritis just past early stage, and yes, I will admit, losing meat/fat in this region. The gun itself has a beautiful wood stock with love marks that have memories. Anyway, my wife has a synthetic 7mm-08 which is considerable less recoil, also shooting 139 grain. Outside of spending $$$$ on a new rifle I’m leaning towards a slip on limbsaver. The website says up to 60% less recoil. Even if I get 30% I think it would be near the 7mm-08. Need opinions from some who went down this road of you have a moment. Thanks in advance

Blessings

Brian
I've had 3 guns, 2 for me, one for my wife, fitted with a brake. Gentry customs, Montana,-quiet brake. No (very little) percussion to your neighbor. No bruising.

Hunting?

Use a Caldwell Recoil Shield during zero confirmation or range practice. One or two shots on the hunt, you won't feel a thing.

If a pad will do the job, why recommend a brake? Just curious, I've had to pack up and leave the range more than once when someone with a big rifle with a brake sets up at the station next to me.

David
NM

Pads slow and distribute recoil to make it more tolerable, but do not reduce. Brakes pull the rifle off and against the vector of recoil.

Pads slow and distribute recoil to make it more tolerable, but do not reduce. Brakes pull the rifle off and against the vector of recoil.
I understand that part. But if the recoil pad will get it done, why go to a brake? In this case, if a non-magnum recoil is needed, then maybe just go to 7mm-08 - his shooting neighbors would appreciate it on range days.

I just don't quite get my head wrapped around a muzzle brake. May come from the fact that my first experience was a nice range day ruined by a guy that wanted the bench next to me with an XYZ magnum and muzzle brake.

David
NM

I understand that part. But if the recoil pad will get it done, why go to a brake? In this case, if a non-magnum recoil is needed, then maybe just go to 7mm-08 - his shooting neighbors would appreciate it on range days.

I just don't quite get my head wrapped around a muzzle brake. May come from the fact that my first experience was a nice range day ruined by a guy that wanted the bench next to me with an XYZ magnum and muzzle brake.

David
NM

Arthritis seems to require truly less recoil long-term rather tham making recoil more comfortable short-term. That's just my take though.

I'm not a brake fan unless it's a suppressor mount. I'm just listing options for the purpose of relaying information.

Another thing to consider is how the rifle is held. To get a cheek weld and comfortable position many people mount with the recoil pad on the shoulder joint. With an adjustable stock with cheek rest, and maybe a higher scope mount, you may be able to get the butt down on just muscle.

Another thing to consider is how the rifle is held. To get a cheek weld and comfortable position many people mount with the recoil pad on the shoulder joint. With an adjustable stock with cheek rest, and maybe a higher scope mount, you may be able to get the butt down on just muscle.
Ya know that’s actually a valid point. Thanks

Ya know that’s actually a valid point. Thanks
I think that might be a huge part that folks don't get. If the stock doesn't fit, it is pretty sure to deliver more ouch. I play with custom fit Muzzleloaders, and can load one of my rifles like a cannon and the recoil ain't too bad. But the Pedersoli rifle I have does not fit, and any load strong enough to cut paper at 50 yards will ruin my day (if I don't sell it, I might give it to my worst enemy...). But the cost of custom stocks is prohibitive for most folks, I am blessed that I seem to fit the centerfire rifles that I own well enough, and they are heavy enough to help a bit with recoil, too.

David
NM

Another vote for a Limbsaver (replacement one, not a slip-on). Put one on a light .30-06 for my wife’s sake and immediately questioned why I hadn’t done it for myself years earlier. They make a big difference.

Get a new rifle. 7mm08 or 6.5 CM. Theres no better excuse to get a new one than your old rig kicks too much. I loved my old Ruger red pad tanger in 30-06 but I don't miss getting kicked like a mule. My 7mm08 is a nice change.

I wouldn’t mess with a brake because if you clamp on at the range, take off in the woods, your POI will shift due to barrel tuning. And a permanent brake is forever. For sure a new grind-to-fit recoil pad. While you’ve got the old pad off, look and see if you can drill out a part of the butt. Like 3/4” bit and 5” deep. Adding some lead to your stock could make a difference as well.

My situation was a little different. I switched to a different stock but the recoil pad was a much nicer one and it drastically helped me with recoil. I moved to a Bell and Carlson stock that had a Pachmayer Decelerator pad on it. That new pad worked wonders for me. I'd start with a new pad.

I have a Ruger 7mm that’s been a tack driving fool, only one problem starting to rear its head, noticeable recoil. I shoot 140 grain anything as it never deviated from anything I put through it. I am 53, shoulder arthritis just past early stage, and yes, I will admit, losing meat/fat in this region. The gun itself has a beautiful wood stock with love marks that have memories. Anyway, my wife has a synthetic 7mm-08 which is considerable less recoil, also shooting 139 grain. Outside of spending $$$$ on a new rifle I’m leaning towards a slip on limbsaver. The website says up to 60% less recoil. Even if I get 30% I think it would be near the 7mm-08. Need opinions from some who went down this road of you have a moment. Thanks in advance

Blessings

Brian
If you hand load you can knock the velocity down to 7mm-08 levels, or add a slip on recoil pad from academy, I put one on a 7mm-08 to get a better lop on the gun it just so happened to drastically reduce the felt recoil as well.

Blessings

Brian
Limbsaver and suppressor = Dream come true.

New pad is finally coming. Also shopping for a new 7mm-08 which is what my shoots. I held my first carbon fiber rifle before Christmas and was that very light. Only available in 6.5. We’ve been hoarding rounds of 7mm-08 as these were non existent for about a 2-3 year stretch for covid. Thanks

If you want low recoil you don't want lightweight. People constantly make that mistake with youth .243s.

I had a Vanguard stock in my Weatherby 7mm rem mag. Terrible recoil and accuracy. Switched to a Bell and Carlson stock due to accuracy but it came with a better recoil pad and now I enjoy shooting my rifle.

Back