Caribou Gear Tarp

MT whitetail and Mule deer shows

Get a BLM map, or go to the BLM web site and start browsing around on their interactive maps... they show all public land on their maps, then use Google Earth... find a spot with few roads, hike in there and have at it. Those areas don't have to be large areas, they could be 4-500 acres that you have to hike up and over a ridge to get too. Most hunters won't leave the road, and the hard core guys don't bother with the small 'chunks'.

You're going to see other hunters no mater where you go. It gets pounded, the first week sucks for deer movement, but you'll have first crack at em.

No one on here is going to hold your hand and show you where to go, nor specifically divulge on a public forum where to hunt or where to go.

Its not hard to find a place to hunt in eastern MT, and your odds of killing a deer are just as good in one place or the other north to south, east to west. Pick an area and start figuring out a game plan. I'd have at least 3-4 backup spots to hunt because there are going to be other hunters out there.

Good luck

Get a BLM map, or go to the BLM web site and start browsing around on their interactive maps... they show all public land on their maps, then use Google Earth... find a spot with few roads, hike in there and have at it. Those areas don't have to be large areas, they could be 4-500 acres that you have to hike up and over a ridge to get too. Most hunters won't leave the road, and the hard core guys don't bother with the small 'chunks'.

You're going to see other hunters no mater where you go. It gets pounded, the first week sucks for deer movement, but you'll have first crack at em.

No one on here is going to hold your hand and show you where to go, nor specifically divulge on a public forum where to hunt or where to go.

Its not hard to find a place to hunt in eastern MT, and your odds of killing a deer are just as good in one place or the other north to south, east to west. Pick an area and start figuring out a game plan. I'd have at least 3-4 backup spots to hunt because there are going to be other hunters out there.

Good luck

And that folks, is the tip of the week. No charge.

Lots of forkhorns to be had in the Little Belts.

Oh crap. I probably just gave away someones spot.

Fair enough guys.. I can understand where your coming from. I guess the whole unknown is eating at me wish I wasn't 3000 miles away. Sounds like maybe my best bet will be as far off the beaten path as I can drag my hunting party

Fair enough guys.. I can understand where your coming from. I guess the whole unknown is eating at me wish I wasn't 3000 miles away. Sounds like maybe my best bet will be as far off the beaten path as I can drag my hunting party

There is a ton of public land in Montana but you have to do your homework, not many are likely to give you specific spots.

Find an area devoid of roads and be willing to walk and you have a good chance.

Driving around on roads hoping to see one from there, not much chance on public land.

Good advice was delivered by several members, use it and you'll be fine. Don't and you'll struggle.

Good luck, Montana is a fantastic state and opportunity abounds if you're willing to work hard.

4Eyes

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back