Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Whitetail roadtrip to MT...

Yooper906

I have a gen tag for Montana and was going to go around thanksgiving for Mulies. However, things have changed on the homefront for that time of year and I am considering a whitetail hunt early Nov.

Yes, I know I can hunt mule deer this time of year as well, but nothing really beats early Nov whitetail hunting for me. I figured I already have a tag in MT, so it doesn't make sense to go get another tag in a midwest state. I will bring both bow and rifle, but bow will be my focus.

I have done some escouting and am refraining from posting up certain locations/terrain etc. Everything is pointing towards a doable hunt from my research, plus my knowledge of whitetail hunting.

If anyone has done a trip similar to this or has some knowledge about it, would you mind pm me?

Thanks,
Yooper

Watch transition areas between public and private. There’s some big WT but I wouldn’t get my hopes up for a 5-6 year old. Still, if you’re patient and in the right areas you might get lucky.

Whitetail have been hit hard by EHD the last three years in SE MT, Not to say that you can not still find a nice one, but it is not going to be nearly as easy as three years ago.
I hunted Iowa last year and EHD hit the area we were in, two out of the last five years. Definitely saw a gap in the age class of bucks.

That’s too bad about SE MT.

Just a heads up, (hopefully more knowledgeable HT'ers will correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure you still are required to wear orange if bowhunting during the general rifle season. Good luck!

I just got back from a Region 7 antelope hunt. I saw a total of 2 whitetails and 17 mule deer. I put on over 400 miles in the truck during prime times. MT deer and antelope herds are bleak at best imo.

Just a heads up, (hopefully more knowledgeable HT'ers will correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure you still are required to wear orange if bowhunting during the general rifle season. Good luck!
Yep in MT that's correct but only a vest doesn't have to be a a hat and it can be blaze camo as long as it's at least 400"

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back