Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming proposed bill to split Whitetail and Mule deer tags

Someone correct me if I'm wrong buy with the exception of Region A it seems most of the whitetail habitat is on private land. How would they spread out the pressure?

If Wyoming can sell a special whitetail tag for $1215, I wish them the best of luck. Only a fool would pay that much to shoot a dinky whitetail buck on a pivot. lol

If they want to reduce the whitetail population to help increase the mule deer population, they should make those whitetail tags dirt cheap for NR's and Residents alike.

If Wyoming can sell a special whitetail tag for $1215, I wish them the best of luck. Only a fool would pay that much to shoot a dinky whitetail buck on a pivot. lol

If they want to reduce the whitetail population to help increase the mule deer population, they should make those whitetail tags dirt cheap for NR's and Residents alike.
X 10000!!!

They'll sell. We're in no shortage of fools especially when it comes spending money on hunting.

That’s the only good idea/reason I’ve heard for splitting them. Make doe fawn whitetail tags basically free (which could be done with the current framework with type 7 or 8 tags).

I don’t understand how making mule deer only general tags helps mule deer.

There are either ulterior motives in play, or the legislator(s) have no idea how the current deer tags work.

**edited to add, doe deer and pronghorn tags are already stupid cheap for R and NR, and they’re what’s needed to reduce WTD.

Last edited:
From a management standpoint it sure makes sense. You’d think they have different objectives, it doesn’t seem logical to try to reach them using the same tag.
There's a chit ton of whitetail only tags already. A solution that's literally going to create a problem.

Managing via legislation and a task farce has consequences.

Is what it is, I'll just shoot the first legal mule deer buck I see in region G now. Hunt for a better whitetail after that. 180 from what I do now and why I've not killed a mule deer here for over 10 years.

Nice work!

This will no doubt move quicker to lq mule deer, which will make 90-10 happen even sooner.

Dumb idea that we're opposing...our lobbyist is on it.

I am pretty sure the bill sponsor has a ranch in the Devils Tower area and he has a bunch of whitetails on it or at least did before quite a few of them died off.
Well, that depends on what day it is. One day bitching about too many, next day too few. Ranchers are never happy.

Read that and then ask yourself if having no option other than killing a mule deer will help the situation.

I've killed lots of whitetail on my general tag passing hundreds of buck mule deer the past 10 years. Not if this goes through.

There's a chit ton of whitetail only tags already. A solution that's literally going to create a problem.

Managing via legislation and a task farce has consequences.

Is what it is, I'll just shoot the first legal mule deer buck I see in region G now. Hunt for a better whitetail after that. 180 from what I do now and why I've not killed a mule deer here for over 10 years.

Nice work!

This will no doubt move quicker to lq mule deer, which will make 90-10 happen even sooner.

Dumb idea that we're opposing...our lobbyist is on it.

That makes sense. The article didn’t mention that separate tags were already available

Dont think I'd be talking smack about another states dink whitetails if I were you.

Wyoming can get pretty confusing with the various types of tags, but ultimately, if you know how to read and interpret basic maps and regulations, their system works well.

I always figured the type 2, 3, 4, etc, tags worked towards achieving unit specific quotas.

I pass whitetails every year in order to hunt a nice muley.
I would shoot a whitetail if given a seperate tag for them... in a heartbeat.

This seems more like a “save the whitetail” bill?

The two species are already managed through regulation and there are a ton of whitetail only tags available.

Think what this will do to the general areas residents will be able to get both tags where before maybe some would choose whitetail or mule deer to hunt now you will have 2 tags to fill. as a resident i will take advantage of it but think it's a bad idea more deer will get killed for sure i passed on muke deer last year and went and used my tag on a whitetail close to home. Won't have to do that if this happens

it will have a effect on the draw also before you had to choose a mule deer tag first choice or whitetail tag now it will be everyone apply for both tags first choice draw odds would get worse. does this also mean they will be selling whitetail deer preferance points also to nr?

Back