Caribou Gear Tarp

MT hard water

mtmiller

We got up early this morning and hit the road well before daylight. Not a fast and furious day, but we found a few. Here are three early ones I picked up.

7_zps2056c44e.jpg

GuNR gets pretty excited when we hit the road early like this, but not sure if he is sold on standing on ice all day?

12_zps1c4c0288.jpg

Picked up a good sized northern just before pulling the lines.

10_zps54623bda.jpg

I tried one last time to get Gun into ice fishing. Doubt it will work, but he did get a little action.

16_zps087bd11d.jpg

Friend I was fishing with got big fish of the day with a 9+ pounder, but I got numbers.:D Guess I am eating fish tomorrow. Good day to be out in MT.

Awesome, way cooler than the small planter trout and 4-5 inch bluegill guys around me are catching.

These were all live minnows. I used trebles instead of my usual single hook. Happy with the results.

Awesome photos! I've never caught a northern pike, how good do they taste?

I am a big fan of northern through the ice, I think they taste great. I had a great dinner and breakfast with some of these guys. The rest of the meat is in the freezer. I thought about thawing some more out, but might just go out again this weekend. The "y" bones are a pain in the ass for me, but I manage some decent, boneless chunks.

I am a big fan of northern through the ice, I think they taste great. I had a great dinner and breakfast with some of these guys. The rest of the meat is in the freezer. I thought about thawing some more out, but might just go out again this weekend. The "y" bones are a pain in the ass for me, but I manage some decent, boneless chunks.

I really like them too, #2 behind Mo Riv catfish. Boil them up in 7Up and dip them in butter....mmmm.

The bones arent bad at all once you get in the groove of it. I just youtube'd it and after alittle practice, I rarely leave any. Of course some days are better than others:)

Last edited:
I really like them too, #2 behind Mo Riv catfish. Boil them up in 7Up and dip them in butter....mmmm.

The bones arent bad at all once you get in the groove of it. I just youtube'd it and after alittle practice, I rarely leave any. Of course some days are better than others:)

Funny, I just heard about the 7up boil a couple days ago.

I used to be better, and faster, cutting them out; apparently out of practice. I better catch some more.:D

Very nice! What I really find funny is that you probably got more meat off those fish than the pig I shot this past weekend! :D

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back