CA long range trip report if you’re interested…

Sagebrush1

I’ve spoken to a couple people on here over the years who are part of the CA fishing scene. I thought maybe some would be interested in a trip report.

Ok, you got me, it’s a shameless plug to show off fish pictures….ha!

Just got home from an 8-day on the Intrepid. As spring 8-day trips go, this was a pretty darned good outing.

A couple days of fast-paced and purely fun fishing in solid grade 18-40 pound yellows. It was a great start and we had a blast.

We followed that up with a couple days and 3 nights of bluefin fishing. It was a good counterpoint to the previous days. As is typical with BFT, it was tough to find biters during the day, and scratchy fishing at night. The type of fishing that rewards determination and time at the rail. Hard-earned successes that leave you feeling a sense of accomplishment and in need of sleep.

We didn’t find any bigger model tuna, but you certainly can’t look down your nose at 50-100 pounders.

Best part of all was sharing it all with my son on his first longer trip. He got his new PB yellowtail, his first Bluefin Tuna, and after a couple fish, he passed that first big milestone in CA fishing and surpassed the 100 pound mark with his now PB Bluefin. I’m a lucky man.IMG_0317.jpegIMG_0261.jpegIMG_0191.jpegIMG_0171.jpegIMG_0174.jpegIMG_0329.jpegIMG_0325.jpegIMG_0249.jpegIMG_0229.jpegIMG_0256.jpeg

I’ve spoken to a couple people on here over the years who are part of the CA fishing scene. I thought maybe some would be interested in a trip report.

Ok, you got me, it’s a shameless plug to show off fish pictures….ha!

Just got home from an 8-day on the Intrepid. As spring 8-day trips go, this was a pretty darned good outing.

A couple days of fast-paced and purely fun fishing in solid grade 18-40 pound yellows. It was a great start and we had a blast.

We followed that up with a couple days and 3 nights of bluefin fishing. It was a good counterpoint to the previous days. As is typical with BFT, it was tough to find biters during the day, and scratchy fishing at night. The type of fishing that rewards determination and time at the rail. Hard-earned successes that leave you feeling a sense of accomplishment and in need of sleep.

We didn’t find any bigger model tuna, but you certainly can’t look down your nose at 50-100 pounders.

Best part of all was sharing it all with my son on his first longer trip. He got his new PB yellowtail, his first Bluefin Tuna, and after a couple fish, he passed that first big milestone in CA fishing and surpassed the 100 pound mark with his now PB Bluefin. I’m a lucky man.View attachment 280822View attachment 280823View attachment 280824View attachment 280825View attachment 280826View attachment 280827View attachment 280828View attachment 280829View attachment 280830View attachment 280831
I’ve been considering a trip like this for a long time, but don’t know much about it. What are the costs, do you have to bring your own gear, food, etc? Can you use the local cleaning tables to process your catch at the docks, or are you forced to pay someone?

I’m thinking cost and logistics of getting these fish back to whatever part of the country I’m in at the time.

I’ve been considering a trip like this for a long time, but don’t know much about it. What are the costs, do you have to bring your own gear, food, etc? Can you use the local cleaning tables to process your catch at the docks, or are you forced to pay someone?

I’m thinking cost and logistics of getting these fish back to whatever part of the country I’m in at the time.
Hey I’ll send you a PM.

Your son doesn’t look like he’s straining to hold that big one at all. My face would be as red as the deck if I was lifting the bruiser up for a photo.

Congratulations.

Congratulations to both of you! I don't know anything about this type of fishing, so if you don't mind a few questions. How far out do you travel to fish and do you stay on the boat or go back to port everyday? Any trouble with rough seas, seasickness? Those fish are bruisers, how big do you sometimes catch?!

Congratulations to both of you! I don't know anything about this type of fishing, so if you don't mind a few questions. How far out do you travel to fish and do you stay on the boat or go back to port everyday? Any trouble with rough seas, seasickness? Those fish are bruisers, how big do you sometimes catch?!
No problem.

Your destination is a product of trip length and where the fish are. On this trip we fished as far as 400 miles from the dock to as close as 30 miles. There are typically several days of travel involved to get to/from destinations.

You stay on the boat in a stateroom.
It’s real nice digs too.

The SD fleet is unique in that the boats carry tanks of live bait, which enables you to have good quality live bait for the duration.

Prior to 2015, a hundred pound tuna was virtually unheard of on trips that fished northern Baja. Since then, however, the influx of large model Bluefin means that you can realistically expect to catch 100-300 pound tuna on a short trip (it’s a whole thing…nobody really knows why. Oceanic cycles, etc. but it has been a game-changer for the fleet to put it mildly) in addition to the standard model 10-20 pound yellowtail, tuna, and dorado.

No problem.

Your destination is a product of trip length and where the fish are. On this trip we fished as far as 400 miles from the dock to as close as 30 miles. There are typically several days of travel involved to get to/from destinations.

You stay on the boat in a stateroom.
It’s real nice digs too.

The SD fleet is unique in that the boats carry tanks of live bait, which enables you to have good quality live bait for the duration.

Prior to 2015, a hundred pound tuna was virtually unheard of on trips that fished northern Baja. Since then, however, the influx of large model Bluefin means that you can realistically expect to catch 100-300 pound tuna on a short trip (it’s a whole thing…nobody really knows why. Oceanic cycles, etc. but it has been a game-changer for the fleet to put it mildly) in addition to the standard model 10-20 pound yellowtail, tuna, and dorado.
Very true. Yesterday I was fishing at San Clemente Island and saw a SD long range boat pull up (Spirit of Adventure) Guessing they had been targeting bluefin slightly South and West and were close enough to come over to the island to get out of the weather. It’s been pretty lumpy out there the last few days.
This has been a fairly odd year too. Water temps in SoCal and of the Baja Pacific coast are pretty cool, and typical catches right now are a month or more behind what is typical.

It depends on the trip and what you are looking to catch. Odds are you will probably go on a second trip. It is addicting especially with Tuna, because nothing fights like that.

If you are looking for a cow (200lb plus) tuna, then a 6 pack boat is the best option. Less people on the rail and more opportunities trolling or on the kite. Often you do not have to rent gear

The open party sport boats are like a cruise ship that you fish on. Some have the meal package included and others meals have to be purchased. Rods will have to be rented depending on what you have and what you will need. A 3.5 day trip can only be a day or a day in a half of fishing. The captains will go where the fish are biting. Sometimes they are right outside of San Diego other times they are on far away islands. If you get to an island that is not biting, they may get a radio call that the fish are biting at another island and you'll head there. All the captains in the mid range fleet talk.

The long range trips are a luxury with a motor. Meals and Rods (Often have to request are included). Expect a few days of hanging out on the boat as you travel. You can often come back with more fish that you can eat in a year, so be mindful of that. Long Range boats normally fill up fast for the next year, so it is important to book early.

Here are some options out of SD [Using H&M Landing - You could use Point Loma, Seaforth, or Fisherman's Landing as well] (Trips are cheaper out of the Oxnard and LA, but not a lot outside of Overnight and 1.5 day)

6 Pack Boat (12 hours) - $600+ [Normally Charters]

Day Boats (12 Hours) - $240

Overnight Boats (22 hours - 1 days limits) - $325

1.5 Day (35 hours - 1 days limits) - $450

2 Day (44 hours - 2 days limits) - $650

2.5 Day (59 hours - 2 days limits) - $950

3 Day (68 hours - 3 days limits) - $1,000

3.5 Day (83 hours - 3 days limits) - $1,300

Rod Rentals from H&M

30lb - $25-$42 (Hooks w/ live bait, and smaller jigs) [Smaller Yellowtail, Schooly sized yellowfin or bluefin, Dorado, Kelp Paddies]

40lb - $38-$65 (Hooks w/ live bait and smaller jigs) [Kelp paddies, or when Bluefin are assholes]

50lb - $47 - $97 (All jigs, but knife jigs) [Casting jigs or yoyoing jigs (rapid retrieve and fall to the bottom or depth)]

60/80lb - $62 - $127 (Sinker rig) [Sinker rubber banded above a hook to a live sardine]

100/130lb - $82 - $152 (Knife jig rig) [Not something you want to fish all trip unless you are a masochist]

Just to note.

The most common rigged fished on a lot of summer and fall trips are the flyline (live sardine with a hook), but they will also fish bluefin at night with the monster 100/130lb tuna rods (rail rods). In the spring and the fall, you may have to look at a sinker rig as well. A 40lb, 80lb, and 100lb is necessary for Tuna trips. Schooly sized Yellowfin or Bluefin can be caught on the 40lb. Just to be warned Bluefin are assholes with great eye sight. Fishing a 75lb+ bluefin on a 25lb fluro leader, because they won't bite anything over 25lb is a dick move. They can also be wide open on the boat next to you and not like anything you are selling on your boat. They also like to throw hooks, run you around the boat, cut you off in the prop, etc. Just asshole stuff. The other thing is the amount of people on the boat. It will be a learning process to fish next too 25 other people on an 85' boat. It is a fun atmosphere until the bite goes wide open and everyone is tangled. Always follow your lines.

Items needed

Hooks - Circle hooks (Tuna) or J Hooks (Dorado, Yellowtail) sizes 4 - 4/0 depending on the size of bait. Tuna have great eyesight and you want your sardine to swim fast, so you have to match the hook to the bait.

Small jigs [Double as mack lures] - A couple Diawa Zakanas or Shimano current snipers (Colt Snipers) in around 100 grams, if fishing yellowtail Surface and Yoyo irons (Tady or Salas)

Knife jigs [Could be used as canoe anchors or expensive duck decoy anchors] - At least 1 at 300, 400, and 500 grams. Mustad Rip Rollers, Diawa Sk Jigs, etc. You will have to upgrade the hardware on them as well since they are designed for groupers and not tuna. Tuna bend bad hooks. Also a 200lb bite leader for the jigs. This can be done at the landing and hardware is not cheap at the landing. Many videos will also you to rig them yourself with split ring plyers. $20 a jig and $20 in hooks and hardware. The landing will do it at $30 a jig and $40 in hardware.

Flurocarbon for leaders - You want the heaviest you can get away with. 20lb to 80lb. Sometimes they do not care and other times you will be fishing 20lb to catch 80lb fish.

Sinkers - A couple 4,6, and 8 ounce. Depends on the current and you want options. Cheaper away from the landing as well.

Other odds and ends (Sunscreen, clothes, towel, bedding, deodorant, Tooth Brush, Motion Sickness Meds)

Tips - 10-20%+ based on service

Beers, Water, Soda - Are not included and you can run up a bill fast at $3 a pop. You can bring water and soda with you and they frown upon liquor or beer being brought on board. Ice is free on the boat though.

Fish Processing - The Fish Processors in San Diego prices keep going up. It is $1.75 a pound whole weight. Always make a reservation. Cleaning on the boat will be $5-$80 a fish and some of the larger models they won't clean on the boat. As you can imagine many people are shocked by the cost. You can fly southwest and take your vaccuum sealer with you are process them yourself if you want to save on a huge cost. You can also if you drive down put them in coolers and ice them until you get back to your residence. You can also have the fish processors ship it back to your airport if you have a flight to catch and can't wait.

Long Range

Trips are 3 days to 16 days

$1,500 to $10,500. Some trips allow you to fly down to Cabo and fly back from Cabo. Luxury ride and you'll go back if you have the funds. The meals are better too. If you can it is the better option, but the mid range options are still good. Most are sponsored and have give away items. They will go a long ways and often it is multiple days of travel. You get 30 fish depending on the species for the trip, but the average person does not need 600lbs of fish in the freezer. The tackle will be more extensive, but all the boats have tackle recommendations on their website. Like the midrange boats you can watch Netflix as you travel.

Last thing to note. Sometimes depending on the price of fuel there is a fuel surcharge before the trip. It is somewhere in the range of $30 bucks a day when prices get above $5.00 for diesel.

It depends on the trip and what you are looking to catch. Odds are you will probably go on a second trip. It is addicting especially with Tuna, because nothing fights like that.

If you are looking for a cow (200lb plus) tuna, then a 6 pack boat is the best option. Less people on the rail and more opportunities trolling or on the kite. Often you do not have to rent gear

The open party sport boats are like a cruise ship that you fish on. Some have the meal package included and others meals have to be purchased. Rods will have to be rented depending on what you have and what you will need. A 3.5 day trip can only be a day or a day in a half of fishing. The captains will go where the fish are biting. Sometimes they are right outside of San Diego other times they are on far away islands. If you get to an island that is not biting, they may get a radio call that the fish are biting at another island and you'll head there. All the captains in the mid range fleet talk.

The long range trips are a luxury with a motor. Meals and Rods (Often have to request are included). Expect a few days of hanging out on the boat as you travel. You can often come back with more fish that you can eat in a year, so be mindful of that. Long Range boats normally fill up fast for the next year, so it is important to book early.

Here are some options out of SD [Using H&M Landing - You could use Point Loma, Seaforth, or Fisherman's Landing as well] (Trips are cheaper out of the Oxnard and LA, but not a lot outside of Overnight and 1.5 day)

Rod Rentals from H&M

30lb - $25-$42 (Hooks w/ live bait, and smaller jigs) [Smaller Yellowtail, Schooly sized yellowfin or bluefin, Dorado, Kelp Paddies]

40lb - $38-$65 (Hooks w/ live bait and smaller jigs) [Kelp paddies, or when Bluefin are assholes]

50lb - $47 - $97 (All jigs, but knife jigs) [Casting jigs or yoyoing jigs (rapid retrieve and fall to the bottom or depth)]

60/80lb - $62 - $127 (Sinker rig) [Sinker rubber banded above a hook to a live sardine]

100/130lb - $82 - $152 (Knife jig rig) [Not something you want to fish all trip unless you are a masochist]

Just to note.

The most common rigged fished on a lot of summer and fall trips are the flyline (live sardine with a hook), but they will also fish bluefin at night with the monster 100/130lb tuna rods (rail rods). In the spring and the fall, you may have to look at a sinker rig as well. A 40lb, 80lb, and 100lb is necessary for Tuna trips. Schooly sized Yellowfin or Bluefin can be caught on the 40lb. Just to be warned Bluefin are assholes with great eye sight. Fishing a 75lb+ bluefin on a 25lb fluro leader, because they won't bite anything over 25lb is a dick move. They can also be wide open on the boat next to you and not like anything you are selling on your boat. They also like to throw hooks, run you around the boat, cut you off in the prop, etc. Just asshole stuff. The other thing is the amount of people on the boat. It will be a learning process to fish next too 25 other people on an 85' boat. It is a fun atmosphere until the bite goes wide open and everyone is tangled. Always follow your lines.

Items needed

Hooks - Circle hooks (Tuna) or J Hooks (Dorado, Yellowtail) sizes 4 - 4/0 depending on the size of bait. Tuna have great eyesight and you want your sardine to swim fast, so you have to match the hook to the bait.

Small jigs [Double as mack lures] - A couple Diawa Zakanas or Shimano current snipers (Colt Snipers) in around 100 grams, if fishing yellowtail Surface and Yoyo irons (Tady or Salas)

Knife jigs [Could be used as canoe anchors or expensive duck decoy anchors] - At least 1 at 300, 400, and 500 grams. Mustad Rip Rollers, Diawa Sk Jigs, etc. You will have to upgrade the hardware on them as well since they are designed for groupers and not tuna. Tuna bend bad hooks. Also a 200lb bite leader for the jigs. This can be done at the landing and hardware is not cheap at the landing. Many videos will also you to rig them yourself with split ring plyers. $20 a jig and $20 in hooks and hardware. The landing will do it at $30 a jig and $40 in hardware.

Flurocarbon for leaders - You want the heaviest you can get away with. 20lb to 80lb. Sometimes they do not care and other times you will be fishing 20lb to catch 80lb fish.

Sinkers - A couple 4,6, and 8 ounce. Depends on the current and you want options. Cheaper away from the landing as well.

Other odds and ends (Sunscreen, clothes, towel, bedding, deodorant, Tooth Brush, Motion Sickness Meds)

Beers, Water, Soda - Are not included and you can run up a bill fast at $3 a pop. You can bring water and soda with you and they frown upon liquor or beer being brought on board. Ice is free on the boat though.

Fish Processing - The Fish Processors in San Diego prices keep going up. It is $1.75 a pound whole weight. Always make a reservation. Cleaning on the boat will be $5-$80 a fish and some of the larger models they won't clean on the boat. As you can imagine many people are shocked by the cost. You can fly southwest and take your vaccuum sealer with you are process them yourself if you want to save on a huge cost. You can also if you drive down put them in coolers and ice them until you get back to your residence. You can also have the fish processors ship it back to your airport if you have a flight to catch and can't wait.

Long Range

$1,500 to $10,500. Some trips allow you to fly down to Cabo and fly back from Cabo. Luxury ride and you'll go back if you have the funds. The meals are better too. If you can it is the better option, but the mid range options are still good. Most are sponsored and have give away items. They will go a long ways and often it is multiple days of travel. You get 30 fish depending on the species for the trip, but the average person does not need 600lbs of fish in the freezer. The tackle will be more extensive, but all the boats have tackle recommendations on their website. Like the midrange boats you can watch Netflix as you travel.

Last thing to note. Sometimes depending on the price of fuel there is a fuel surcharge before the trip. It is somewhere in the range of $30 bucks a day when prices get above $5.00 for diesel.
Excellent summary, thank you

Rod Rentals from H&M

Just to note.

Items needed

Long Range

From that, it sounds like a cheaper LR trip would be more economical than a 3-day, based on the tackle I would need to rent or purchase that is included- from what I understand- in the LR trip price.

As far as processing- I’m pretty handy with a knife, and just need a place to do it. Are there public/community fish cleaning stations? Can I just find a flat spot on the docks, or is that a big “no”?

The cost of a check-bag one way covers a decent enough breaking knife, so pass on traveling with that. Return trip would be: purchase cheapest coolers at Walmart, fill with ice and salt to brine/superchill dressed carcasses, then drain water for flight- maybe use wrapped dry ice and ship overnight. If the tuna are big, then look into big plastic bags and cutting into loins, just something to keep the meat dry. But I think I’d rather be the ridiculous idiot that flies with (or ships) whole fish cores. I had the odd thought to check with local seafood places and see if they have spare room on a trip with their shipping method of choice, kinda like people will for Alaska moose.

Or I could just be woefully unprepared for this nightmare of logistics, physical torture, and seasickness, and have a disaster of a trip- physically and financially. Oh well, I’m at least a year out from this.

What would be your recommendation for a newbie with zero tackle or this kind of experience for the trip?

Just use a processor. Those are insane logistics to ship fish. There aren’t any fish cleaning areas near the landing. They definitely wouldn’t let you cut fish on the docks or parking area. You’ll see when you get there that there just isn’t space.

All the boats have rental gear, but not all are equal in quality. Call the office and ask if they can outfit someone with no gear. Fisherman’s landing rents really nice gear too.

Get on it quick. Everyone is pushing out new schedules right now (some boats publish the next year in one shot and some roll out a month at a time a year out) and they’ll be 95% full for 2024 in the next couple weeks. Don’t be afraid to get on a waitlist if need-be. My chosen boats have maybe 3 or 4 trips with openings for all of next summer.

Back