CA long range trip report if you’re interested…

From that, it sounds like a cheaper LR trip would be more economical than a 3-day, based on the tackle I would need to rent or purchase that is included- from what I understand- in the LR trip price.

As far as processing- I’m pretty handy with a knife, and just need a place to do it. Are there public/community fish cleaning stations? Can I just find a flat spot on the docks, or is that a big “no”?

The cost of a check-bag one way covers a decent enough breaking knife, so pass on traveling with that. Return trip would be: purchase cheapest coolers at Walmart, fill with ice and salt to brine/superchill dressed carcasses, then drain water for flight- maybe use wrapped dry ice and ship overnight. If the tuna are big, then look into big plastic bags and cutting into loins, just something to keep the meat dry. But I think I’d rather be the ridiculous idiot that flies with (or ships) whole fish cores. I had the odd thought to check with local seafood places and see if they have spare room on a trip with their shipping method of choice, kinda like people will for Alaska moose.

Or I could just be woefully unprepared for this nightmare of logistics, physical torture, and seasickness, and have a disaster of a trip- physically and financially. Oh well, I’m at least a year out from this.

What would be your recommendation for a newbie with zero tackle or this kind of experience for the trip?
Ditto. What Jim said and more for long range 8-10 day trips. Insane logistics to move fish long distance is an understatement too. Unless you live nearby, have a pickup truck and have everything needed to process, you will have to use a processor and it won't be cheap. There is no possible way to move fish in a rental car, etc and you can't clean on docks or parking lot. Now some boats will just let you borrow gear free of charge, such as the Excel. You just have to pay for the reel fills and any terminal tackle, leaders, lures, etc. None of that is cheap. I've fished with guys that did that on that boat, but it does not save a whole lot due to reel fills.

If you've never done this, you will be shocked at overall cost for an 8-10 day. Figure 500 per day just to book the trip. 80 per day in tip. Soda/Beer/water 30-40 per day. Reel fills and terminal, depends on the size of the rig and the fish that tore it up, but I'd allocate at least a couple/3 hundred bucks even if the boat just loans you gear. If you need rental gear, for sure you will need 100, 80, 60, and 40 rigs at a bare minimum, and you may also need to refill those too. I've done several 8 day trips, and the 4 rigs I mentioned is what I bring after seeing what I used on the first couple. I've refilled reels on board a few times. These are minimum expenses. Now let's talk processing. Figure $1.75 per pound to process at the whole fish's weight, not the actual filet weight. To get back to the dock with 300-400lbs of whole fish is no big deal at all on an 8-10 day, and I'd say that is light. (5) 30lb yellowtail and (2) 100lb BFT/YFT just came in at 350lbs on a late spring trip . Or a couple/three wahoo, maybe a dorado or 3 and (1) 200lb YFT puts you in that same overall weight range too or more on a summer/fall trip. Odds are that you might have a couple more or bigger. Overnight shipping is next, and that is insane. I live close enough so I can just go pick it up, but I'm still not thrilled about the cost to process 350-400lbs of fish. So let's say you book an 8 day for 4k. That's a 7-8k trip at the end.

Here is the advice I'd give to anyone trying their hand at an 8-10 day and zero gear or experience. Don't do it straight out of the gate. Take a vacation to Southern Cal somewhere between Orange County and San Diego. Go fishing on the 1 day overnight boats out of San Diego, Dana Point, Newport, or Long Beach. Spend a week in late summer/early fall doing maybe 3 of those trips and learn the ropes, rail and boat etiquette, costs and the how to's. It's a lot lower cost, and you can figure out if you might want to go on a longer trip. See if you even like it. These 1 day overnight trips are still awesome in my opinion, but it's too much for some people at the same time. There is no way I'd recommend an 8-10 day for somebody that has not been even local overnight offshore. Even a 2 day straight out of the gate might be too much with no experience. I have been on trips where seas are pretty big for 3 or 4 days straight (nobody will come pick you up and the boat will not turn around either), and I've been on trips where its pretty calm the whole trip, and everywhere in between. It's a dice roll. Probably best to dip the toes in first.

From that, it sounds like a cheaper LR trip would be more economical than a 3-day, based on the tackle I would need to rent or purchase that is included- from what I understand- in the LR trip price.

As far as processing- I’m pretty handy with a knife, and just need a place to do it. Are there public/community fish cleaning stations? Can I just find a flat spot on the docks, or is that a big “no”?

The cost of a check-bag one way covers a decent enough breaking knife, so pass on traveling with that. Return trip would be: purchase cheapest coolers at Walmart, fill with ice and salt to brine/superchill dressed carcasses, then drain water for flight- maybe use wrapped dry ice and ship overnight. If the tuna are big, then look into big plastic bags and cutting into loins, just something to keep the meat dry. But I think I’d rather be the ridiculous idiot that flies with (or ships) whole fish cores. I had the odd thought to check with local seafood places and see if they have spare room on a trip with their shipping method of choice, kinda like people will for Alaska moose.

Or I could just be woefully unprepared for this nightmare of logistics, physical torture, and seasickness, and have a disaster of a trip- physically and financially. Oh well, I’m at least a year out from this.

What would be your recommendation for a newbie with zero tackle or this kind of experience for the trip?
LR Boats are more comfortable and do have rods. They also will cost a bit more and certain times of the year have less availability.

I would say the more days you can go, the better. Because of travel times. If the fish are chewing right out of San Diego, then you can get limits on an Overnight boat. But as far as traveling and fishing I would recommend going on as long of trip as you can afford.

Here is a list of LR schedules and boats in SD (https://www.longrangesportfishing.net/schedule_links.php)

Mid Range Boats

[San Diego] H&M Landing (https://www.hmlanding.com/trip-calendar)

[San Diego] Fisherman's Landing (https://fishermanslanding.fishingreservations.net/resos/)

[San Diego] Seaforth Landing (https://seaforth.fishingreservations.net/sales/)

[Oxnard] Channel Islands Sportfishing (https://ciscos.fishingreservations.net/sales/)

[San Pedro] 22nd Street Landing (https://22ndstreet.fishingreservations.net/sales/)

Southwest is a great airline to fly with, because 2 checked bags are free and the third bag is only $75. A fishing rod carrier and tackle box count as one item. You can also bring a cooler and fly back with your fish without paying baggage fees ontop of overweight fees. Another less known thing on airlines, is sometimes it is cheaper to buy a second ticket on a flight for the two free bags rather than pay the baggage fees. For example it is common to get a one way out of Southwest from LAX to SLC for less than $100. It costs $150 bucks to check two additional bags. So, you save money by buying a second ticket when flying fish home. Plus, if they put the two tickets next to each other you get more room on the flight.

A couple options when it comes to processing your own since there is no place at the landing to do it. You can do it in a hotel room, you can do it in the parking lot, you can do it in your rental car, you can rent a uhaul and do it in the back of a uhaul. Last year a group of guys on the boat from back east did it in the back of their rental truck after purchasing a tarp. Filet on the boat and vacuum seal in the hotel is as option as well. It depends on how much your time and money is worth to you. You can do it really cheap or pay a little more for convenience.

So, as far as flying fish. They do not allow ice and most do not allow dry ice. You can freeze them in your hotel fridge and use the ice packs for the ride home. You can even put fish in your carryon as long as it is sealed and cold. Flying fish is going to be a lot cheaper than shipping it overnight.

There is an issue with the processors in San Diego in regards to finding help and at certain times a year. They get more fish than they can handle. Last year in August the Yellowtail was wide open, In September the Dorado was wide open, and Tuna were being caught the whole time. They filled up with space and could not keep up due to the lack of workers. When you can get $15 to flip burgers or $15 to cut fish, most people choose to go with the easier option. Which is why if you decide to do fish processing, you want to make a reservation.

If you want the whole core, I would consider driving. You do not have to worry about baggage or space. You can take your time to get there. Then you just need ice and you are good to head home. Another option if you do not want to make two long drives, if rent a car for a one way trip back home. You will have to buy coolers, but you can still head home. Or you can rent a car and drive down and back.

I would also recommend being prepared for the experience and not catching a boat load of fish. Bluefin are especially prone to turning off for no reason. It is fishing and it is an opportunity. Most trips come back with fish, Some come back with limits, and others come back with goose eggs.

Being a year out is actually not a bad thing. You can slowly accrue the things you need for a trip rather than buy everything at once.

So, I do get sea sick if I do not take meds. The meds work for me. Even if you do not get sea sick, take the meds with you. Generally, August. September, and October are the best months for weather in southern California. If sea sickness is a thing, then I would look at that time of year.

Probably the best recommendation would be to pay a little bit more and do a 6 pack boat the first time. It is 12 hours, they provide most of the gear, you do not have as many people on the rail, and you do not have to sleep in bunk beds on the boat. You won't take home as many fish as some of the longer trips, but at least you get that first experience and have the potential to catch a cow on the right gear.

I like the mid range party boats for the social aspect, but they can be intimidating for a first timer. Lots of good videos on YouTube for help and BDoutdoors forum is full of people that can help as well.

If you are still interested next year, shoot me a DM around March or April and I will let you know what boat I am booking for the fall to go on. If it fits your budget, then you can book it and we can meet down in SD before the trip.

LR Boats are more comfortable and do have rods. They also will cost a bit more and certain times of the year have less availability.

I would say the more days you can go, the better. Because of travel times. If the fish are chewing right out of San Diego, then you can get limits on an Overnight boat. But as far as traveling and fishing I would recommend going on as long of trip as you can afford.

Here is a list of LR schedules and boats in SD (https://www.longrangesportfishing.net/schedule_links.php)

Mid Range Boats

[San Diego] H&M Landing (https://www.hmlanding.com/trip-calendar)

[San Diego] Fisherman's Landing (https://fishermanslanding.fishingreservations.net/resos/)

[San Diego] Seaforth Landing (https://seaforth.fishingreservations.net/sales/)

[Oxnard] Channel Islands Sportfishing (https://ciscos.fishingreservations.net/sales/)

[San Pedro] 22nd Street Landing (https://22ndstreet.fishingreservations.net/sales/)

Southwest is a great airline to fly with, because 2 checked bags are free and the third bag is only $75. A fishing rod carrier and tackle box count as one item. You can also bring a cooler and fly back with your fish without paying baggage fees ontop of overweight fees. Another less known thing on airlines, is sometimes it is cheaper to buy a second ticket on a flight for the two free bags rather than pay the baggage fees. For example it is common to get a one way out of Southwest from LAX to SLC for less than $100. It costs $150 bucks to check two additional bags. So, you save money by buying a second ticket when flying fish home. Plus, if they put the two tickets next to each other you get more room on the flight.

A couple options when it comes to processing your own since there is no place at the landing to do it. You can do it in a hotel room, you can do it in the parking lot, you can do it in your rental car, you can rent a uhaul and do it in the back of a uhaul. Last year a group of guys on the boat from back east did it in the back of their rental truck after purchasing a tarp. Filet on the boat and vacuum seal in the hotel is as option as well. It depends on how much your time and money is worth to you. You can do it really cheap or pay a little more for convenience.

So, as far as flying fish. They do not allow ice and most do not allow dry ice. You can freeze them in your hotel fridge and use the ice packs for the ride home. You can even put fish in your carryon as long as it is sealed and cold. Flying fish is going to be a lot cheaper than shipping it overnight.

There is an issue with the processors in San Diego in regards to finding help and at certain times a year. They get more fish than they can handle. Last year in August the Yellowtail was wide open, In September the Dorado was wide open, and Tuna were being caught the whole time. They filled up with space and could not keep up due to the lack of workers. When you can get $15 to flip burgers or $15 to cut fish, most people choose to go with the easier option. Which is why if you decide to do fish processing, you want to make a reservation.

If you want the whole core, I would consider driving. You do not have to worry about baggage or space. You can take your time to get there. Then you just need ice and you are good to head home. Another option if you do not want to make two long drives, if rent a car for a one way trip back home. You will have to buy coolers, but you can still head home. Or you can rent a car and drive down and back.

I would also recommend being prepared for the experience and not catching a boat load of fish. Bluefin are especially prone to turning off for no reason. It is fishing and it is an opportunity. Most trips come back with fish, Some come back with limits, and others come back with goose eggs.

Being a year out is actually not a bad thing. You can slowly accrue the things you need for a trip rather than buy everything at once.

So, I do get sea sick if I do not take meds. The meds work for me. Even if you do not get sea sick, take the meds with you. Generally, August. September, and October are the best months for weather in southern California. If sea sickness is a thing, then I would look at that time of year.

Probably the best recommendation would be to pay a little bit more and do a 6 pack boat the first time. It is 12 hours, they provide most of the gear, you do not have as many people on the rail, and you do not have to sleep in bunk beds on the boat. You won't take home as many fish as some of the longer trips, but at least you get that first experience and have the potential to catch a cow on the right gear.

I like the mid range party boats for the social aspect, but they can be intimidating for a first timer. Lots of good videos on YouTube for help and BDoutdoors forum is full of people that can help as well.

If you are still interested next year, shoot me a DM around March or April and I will let you know what boat I am booking for the fall to go on. If it fits your budget, then you can book it and we can meet down in SD before the trip.
Hey man, I’m just wondering if you or “Old270hunter” are SD locals who moved out of state like we are? Just curious because you both clearly have experience in this fairly niche world.

I just booked for next year on the Excel. Pumped!

We’re having a sushi / sashimi / elk dinner part with some neighbors this weekend. Life is good!
IMG_0266.jpeg

Hey man, I’m just wondering if you or “Old270hunter” are SD locals who moved out of state like we are? Just curious because you both clearly have experience in this fairly niche world.

We’re having a sushi / sashimi / elk dinner part with some neighbors this weekend. Life is good!
View attachment 281892

Not a local.

Just someone who started doing rockfish, Halibut, and salmon fishing trips at various locations, then talked to people about Tuna fishing.

Then just went for it one year.

Now, I want to do it once or twice a year.

It is hard to explain to anyone who has not caught a Tuna to how hard they fight.

Also, hard to explain just how doable these trips are.

Actually, heading out tonight to fish a 1.5 and a 2 day boat over the holiday.

I want a chance at White Sea Bass this year.

And the Bluefin are currently chewing the paint off the boat, meaning they will shut off when I get there.

Albacore is another Tuna trip that I would like to experience at some point (Oregon/Washington) as well as a Florida Pulley Ridge Deep Drop Trip.

Lots of offshore options out there and they are a ton of fun even if you are not catching.

Like a lot of first time Non Residents hunting out west, a trip like this can be a huge step the first time.

After you do it, then you can't wait to do it again.

It is just as addicting at big game hunting.

The excel trip should be an amazing time, hopefully you can get into some Wahoo, Grouper, as well as Yellows and Tuna.

That dish looks fantastic.

So many options with quality grade fish preserved well.

View attachment 281892
I’m in Huntington Beach. The Excel is still the best LR ride (8 day plus) in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back