Montana Turkey

awapiti

I went out turkey hunting this weekend with my son and was able to tag this turkey. They were still pretty vocal, but could not get any to come any closer than a hundred yards (probably more me than anything, since I am still learning this turkey thing). This bird hung up too and then started going away from us. He dropped down into a coulee and then went up the other side. We hauled butt after him and just before peeking over the top of the coulee we called again. When we peeked over he was inside 10 yards...he saw us and started running. Unfortunatley my son did not have the shot, so I took him. Only thing that could have been better is if my son could have taken him. He still says he had a blast and it was the funnest hunt he has been on yet. Great times and memories for me too.
turkey2011canon024a.jpg
[/IMG]

Very cool, congrats. You get to learn more and more every time you are able to get out.

Yep,sometimes you take 'em as you get 'em.Its all part of the curve. Bottom line for me is if I drive 350+ miles for turkeys I'm going home with tags filled if at all possible.Best scenario is calling them into your lap,but sometimes you have to employ the ambush.Crawling for a close range "mob" hit has been known to happen:D

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back