Montana Opening Morning Turkey

awapiti

This is my first turkey, got him this morning. I may be hooked now, it was pretty cool. Had a lot of action all morning and then got lucky and got this one.

TurkeyHunt2010015-1.jpg

Saw a bunch of turkeys myself this morning. It looks like real similar country. I need to learn how to turkey hunt:eek: Looks like lots of fun. Congrats on a great bird!

Had a big fat gobbler and his lady friends plop down out of their roost right in front of me opening morning. 91 yards was as close as I could call them in.... just a little to far for the old Bowtech. Still have a couple of weeks to get it done though.

I love being outside in the spring.

Elkwhisper

Congrats! Me and buddy had a double on opening morning last year, but no luck this year. We saw probably 5% the number of birds that we saw opening day last year. We hiked our rear ends off and only found two gobblers. Both were already hened up and just over the line on private so we got to sit and watch them strut their stuff within bow range, but couldn't shoot. Has anyone else noticed a severe decline in the number of birds where they hunt? I suspect the two previous cold, wet springs haven't helped things out, but I still expected to see more birds than we did.

Nice bird. We didn't see or here any openning weekend, which is very similar to last year. Hopefully as it warms the birds will get a little more active. We did find an elk shed and curiously saw a five point bull with his antlers still attached. They did look yellow and we expected that they would have dropped by now.

Thanks all for the kind comments. I saw a lot more birds this year than I did last year...of course I did not go out last year. [grin] I was surprised how talkative the birds were, every 200 yards or so I would call and got responses back each time. I just kept working in on them, got busted once. Then got lucky. I saw elk too, spike still had his antlers but another bull with him had lost his. I did not find any sheds from this year. Found one 5 point elk shed from last year though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back