Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana Hunt Guidance

shannerdrake

Please let me start off by saying this isn't a "help me find a spot" post. We have spent hours researching areas, ordering and reading maps, calling biologists, reading forums, watching videos, etc. However, I am hoping to ask a handful of general area questions. My friend and I, for several reasons, have decided to do a DIY combo (elk/deer) hunt in the White Sulphur Springs, MT area.

Our plan is to use a travel trailer as a basecamp and hike and/or short drive from camp to our areas. We are looking at either the week of 10/21 or the week of 11/11. First question, is there any concern for camping in a winterized travel trailer during this time?

Second, I have read conflicting information, are there grizzlies in this area and if so, would they be active during this time?

Similarly, would black bears still be out and is there any chance of encountering one while hunting elk/deer?

I am sure there are things we have yet to think of and many things we will just have to learn as we go. However, we both have been inspired by Randy and the contributors to this site and really want to experience the DIY adventure!

Bears will be active, but I think it's mostly black bears up that way. I wouldn't worry too much about them while hunting.

The only concern I would have with the trailer is getting totally snowed in for a few days. Weather changes in a hurry and you could find yourself stranded for a few days so pay attention to the forecast.

There may not be a "big" population of grizz but there are grizzlies that can and will be seen/encountered in the area from time to time. They are expanding their range to more than just what the FWP shows on their map. I wouldn't worry much about it. Just be smart and go hunt. Lots and I mean LOTS of black bears in that region. Both black bears and grizzlies can definitely be active that time of year.

Buy a black bear tag. Odds are good that you will come across 1 or 2.

Grizzlies have been documented in both the little and big belts now. But I wouldn't lose sleep at night over it. Good luck, get's more crowded there every year.

The later date you should plan on snow, it might be that you move the trailer to a better spot to get it out if you have to.

Don't have much hunting experience, but do have camper trailer experience and would agree with what's above, you need to watch what roads you take down and make sure you can get out if weather turns.

Have went out when freezing and didn't use black tanks, but let wash water down the grey water drain and just left the dump open and had a bucket to drain to.

Good luck out there!

I have read plenty about the crazy weather we might encounter in Montana, but is there a big differnence between hunting late October versus mid November? From what I gather, regardless of when we go, need to be ready to move if we need to. I also gather that tire chains and maybe even a winch aren’t a bad idea, particularly since we are pulling a travel trailer.

Are there pros and cons to going opening week (late October) instead of mid-November? I assume mule deer will be more active due to the rut in November, but wonder if elk (and bears even) would be better hunting in October?

Back