Mechanicals for elk

Barnesnbow

Is there anyone out there that uses mechanical broadheads for elk and has good success? I've been trying to get fixed blades to fly good for me but I just can't get any consistency with them. My bow is tuned perfectly so it must be me. I practice alot and shoot good out to 70 yards with my feild points. Just can't get the broadheads to group. So I was thinking about just using mechanical this year. Any suggestions. I am shooting a 26in rampage at 290fps about 410 gr. Like to hear your feedback.

What fixed blades are you shooting? Are you on the edge of being underspined? I would avoid mechanicals like the plague for elk. I've never used them but I just don't trust them for animals as large as elk. I know guys have used them and have had great success but I'm not willing to try them with all the good fixed blade options out there

With regards to grouping are your broadheads grouping randomly or consistently in a different place than your field points? If they are random, it is probably your form like you suggested. If they are consistent, I'm guessing you might not be as perfectly tuned as you think. As far as suggesting a good mechanical I don't have enough experience with them to have a a strong opinion. I shot the Ulmer Edge for a year and they were very accurate but I wasn't impressed with the penetration and blood trails I got on deer. I didn't shoot an elk with one.

I have tried the ramcats and the exodus so far. I was gonna try the shuttle T's. I'm shooting 3" 3 fletch. I don't really want to use mechanical either but if I can't get the fixed blades to group what do you do?

I had trouble last year getting my fixed blades to group consistently even though I had changed nothing on my set up, took my bow to a pro shop and my string had stretched enough over time to change my nocking point which caused the deviation from my field points...I personally have never shot an elk with a mechanical head but I did try them on deer a few years back and had a blade snap completely off on a small whitetail doe...I'm sure there are some heads that are better than others and I know a lot of people that I have much respect for that swear by them but after my experiences I am personally more comfortable shooting a fixed blade head and would try to figure out the issue before I went to mechanical heads. Also curious as to which fixed blades you are shooting?

I've killed lots of elk with numerous kinds of expandable broadheads. From 5-70 yards. Never an issue. Blown clean through them on lots of occasions.

I shoot Rage 3 blades on turkeys. Seeing the blades on them and the damage a turkey does to them, I would NEVER imagine shooting an elk with one.

I prefer a Spitfire 125 for Elk; better blood and faster kills for me. That's why I use them, not because of fixed blade head problems.

"I'm shooting 3" 3 fletch." I never go below 4" for fixed heads and sometimes use 5".

As mentioned above I am guessing your bow is a little out of tune or its in your form. I have shot several fixed blades and they have flown exactly like my field tips. I have Wac Em now but had shot the shuttle Ts and they fly great. I WOULD NEVER think about using a mechanical on elk. When RAGE came out they were much better made and stronger. I actually shot my first bear with one and blew through a rib on the way in and out as well as the off side leg with no issue. However, now that a new company is making them I wont even use them on whitetail.

If people would spend time on tactics and shooting skills, they wouldn't be hitting Elk in the spine, legs, and scapula, and what was on the end of the arrow wouldn't matter.

Well, this is an interesting thread, I can say that your bow/arrow/broadhead combo does not click.... I know from experience that some bows like certain broadheads with certain arrows. Also check with your local archery shop on your setup, some places can be very informative even if you think your bow is tuned. I shoot 27in FMJ with a 100 grain DNG-DRT at 409grains and it kills!
Matt

If youre grouping weird something is off with your tune. I refuse to use mechanical. I use a heavy arrow for more penetration. In my opinion mechanicals have to lose some of their momentum when they open. Also, I've heard of too many stories of mechanicals failing to open.

I'd go to a shop and have them do a paper tune, can't hurt to double check. 26 inches is really short. I'd suspect it's bow, arrows, form, or fatigue. I really have a hard time believing it's the head.

If people would spend time on tactics and shooting skills, they wouldn't be hitting Elk in the spine, legs, and scapula, and what was on the end of the arrow wouldn't matter.

Unfortunately, errant shots happen. It's part of hunting. Why not maximize your setup with a strong COC head to CYA for that off chance when you might pull your shot and say, hit the scapula?

Why is it that when people can't get broadheads to fly right the immediate answer is to switch to mechanicals instead of fixing the issue at hand and getting the broadhead flight taken care of? Are the animals we hunt not worth the extra effort?

We've killed elk with both, they are the same amount of dead each way. Never had flight issues with either if arrow is heavy enough. Bad shot placement is user error not an equipment error. Done it with both,sucks the same,makes for sleepless night and harder work the next day.

Arrows are all over the place can be a couple of things. Form would be the first but not necessarily the culprit. Bow tune can be it as well. Just because fieldtips fly well and group well doesn't mean your bow is tuned. Bottom line field tips lie!
What is your arrow build? Spine can be an issue but usually that will lead to hitting one direction.

As for a good expandable goes. There are a number of good ones. I don't shoot them but I won't say they won't get the job done either.

If your getting eradic flight with broad heads that causes loss of energy in your arrow and you won't get ultimate penetration out of your set up.

Unfortunately, errant shots happen. It's part of hunting. Why not maximize your setup with a strong COC head to CYA for that off chance when you might pull your shot and say, hit the scapula?

Shoot them at 15 instead of 60 and you won't have to worry about hitting the scapula. It comes down to mindset, I'm old and I learned to get close before I shoot.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back