Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Looking for a good deer/elk knife

I’ve used a benchmade bugout, havalon, outdoor edge, mora, gerber ebs, and koa Yukon.

The Yukon is definitely the best for me, skinning and quartering.

Bought a Gerber RN DTS earlier this year but haven't had a chance to use it yet, hopefully that changes in 3 weeks 😉. Feels really good in the hand though and I think I'm going to like it.

I stopped using my Gerber vital. It seems I was cutting myself as much as the animal. I know that's bad knife handling on my part. Went back to strictly Benchmade Steep Country. Did a full moose and it still shaves

Mora knives are good for cheap cutting and processing. Steel dulls faster but sharpens easy. I have 1 in my truck and 1 in my pack as a back up

I stopped using my Gerber vital. It seems I was cutting myself as much as the animal. I know that's bad knife handling on my part. Went back to strictly Benchmade Steep Country. Did a full moose and it still shaves

Mora knives are good for cheap cutting and processing. Steel dulls faster but sharpens easy. I have 1 in my truck and 1 in my pack as a back up
+1
Benchmade…buy once cry once

Gerber ebs
I have not had good luck with mine. The long blade was not heat treated right. The edge rolled and chipped the first time I used it. I didn’t even get 1/4 thru an elk. The small blade did fine and the serrated was great.

I filed a warranty claim with Gerber and it warns you that they are 6-8 weeks behind on warranty. I am right at 6 weeks with no response. I am hopeful that they stand behind it and send me a new blade.

@Big Fin figured you may want to know.

I have not had good luck with mine. The long blade was not heat treated right. The edge rolled and chipped the first time I used it. I didn’t even get 1/4 thru an elk. The small blade did fine and the serrated was great.

I filed a warranty claim with Gerber and it warns you that they are 6-8 weeks behind on warranty. I am right at 6 weeks with no response. I am hopeful that they stand behind it and send me a new blade.

@Big Fin figured you may want to know.
I haven’t had any issues with mine and purchased an extra set of blades

I carry a havalon and pair it with a leatherman. No elk experience but works nicely on deer. Course I could just go with the havalon and be fine. I have an outdoor edge too, I like it but it seems to dull faster than the havalon for whatever reason.

Last edited:
For years I've carried either a Buck 110, and or the vanguard, in the last couple of years I've added the Havalon Piranta. Haven't had any issues. With either buck knife I can quarter 2-3 deer before having to touch the blade with a stone.

I have a Razor Lite, the Gerber Vital, a bunch of other knives including a couple of Benchmades Uncle Sugar bought for me, and several MoraKniv's . This is the one that does heavy lifting for me now https://ragweedforgestore.com/collections/mora-1/products/mora-30-allround It is wonderful to work with. Crazy sharp, pretty light and a very comfortable handle. Skined/quartered both an elk and deer with it last year and didn't even need a touch up. Even if it wasn't so cheap it would be a great knife.....the price is just plain ridiculous.

I rotate between a handful of knives but for the money, everyone should have a Mora Companion with them. Scary sharp. I also use a Buck 110 occasionally but my favorite lately has been a Grohman Bird & Trout knife. They have them on clearance as seconds and are a great value. I should try one of their originals with the more rounded blade, but just haven’t yet. That little bird and trout takes a good edge, retains it well, and is just a handy and comfortable knife to use. Seems to be about the perfect knife to clean the backstraps off a critter as it just follows the bones very well.

For a fixed blade take a look at the Buck 102. I know some people prefer a longer blade when actually cutting up an animal but for skinning and quartering I like a shorter blade and the 102 is plenty long enough. If you’re a person who has a preference for blade steel, they have some options. A folding, 112, 110 could also be an option or a fixed blade Vanguard.

This is all I use anymore. Handmade by me. 8670 steel and micarta handle. Full tang. Yes I may be a bit biased but I have made/sold 14-15 of these in the last two years for customers all over the country. Not one negative review or complaint. Lightweight and packs easily. So far they have cleaned:
wild hogs - dozens
elk- 6 or 7
brown bear 1
whitetail too many to count
mule deer 6-7
alligator
ducks
geese
sitka black tail

In my opinion a good fixed blade is hard to beat. I have used the exchange a blade and personally they have their place in my kit, which is home when the animal is hung and ready for processing.

Chicken.jpg
These went to Alaska
Alaska.jpg
Florida
shields.jpg

I use various knives for gutting but absolutely love the buck 103 for skinning.

People who process game professionally don't use hunting knives with steel that retains an edge thru lots of use. They use knives like Mora or Dexter Russell which they keep touched up, never letting them get dull.

If you like the Mora get it and take a handy size ceramic stick. Don't let it get dull so you never have to sharpen it.

Back