Caribou Gear Tarp

long called bird

schmalts

Called this little one in from over 1/4 mile. never had one come from that far... he was lonely i guess. You can see our pop up blind on top of the hill on the left. It needs a new paint job as it is really faded since i just leave it out all spring.

turkey_and_trout_08_009.jpg

Good job Schmalts. That bird ain't laffin', but I am sure you are. Good on you for getting your son in on the action.

Really I am not being modest, this was a really small tom or you could say a huge Jake but not a big one by any means. The boy was excited with this one. The thing came running down the hill and got near the bottom and then got spooked. I was out of the blind 15 yards down the hill but i think the boy was moving around a lot in the blind. Then a hen made a call over the hill and he started going that way so I had to really call like mad to stop him. He spent 10 minutes in one spot puttin, struttin, and gobbling before he finally decided to make that extra 15 yards toward us. Bottom line, he put on a good show for the boy. Next week we will go out again and see what we can do. It is getting a little late in the season and I am also convinced we lost a LOT of birds this winter due to the deep snow and thick ice layer. Last fall they were like carp, now they are much fewer.

Well, I just beat you on "Long Call" !!! But I was cheating, set up in fence corner where heifers had been wintered and the bird had been seen 2 of last 4 days in the afternoon, but I am sure he came across the SD prarie 3/4 mile from where I first spotted him only because of my Superior calling!! HaHa!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back