Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Lightweight 410

I’ve got an old Savage bolt action .410 - it just lives in the backseat of the truck during season. I’ve killed a metric boat load of grouse with it.
This.

My all time favorite .410 is the Winchester Model 41. It has a rear sight. I laid up cottontails like cord wood with one as a kid.
Fixed full choke with a 24" barrel. Mine had a barrel band front sling stud fitted.

It was on loan to our family from an old friend. When he died, his son (who was not a gun guy) asked for his dad's guns back. Hard to give up this gem and a LC Smith 1908 SxS.

I have no idea what they weigh. I packed mine over the hills and far away when I was 10 YO. Sacrilege, but you could have it cut down to just legal and fitted with choke tubes.

I have been eyeing this one on GB for a while.

I leaned that way at first, but I'm fairly certain I hit at least one bird squarely in thea chest cavity and it still flew off so far as to be unrecoverable.
I'd rather err on recovery
If you can find .22 longs, those work much better for killing grouse than LR. For years I packed my dad's Smith & Wesson K22 in my daypack. I shot a pile of grouse with it. In Montana of course. Sadly, it's not legal to hunt with handguns up here.
Forget 22 Long - See if anyone in town has CCI Quiet-22. (710 fps)

I also use Aguila Calibri sometimes,too. The former will cycle my Ruger Mk-ii, the latter will not.
Without the action cycling, the Mk-ii is quieter than a pellet pistol

I saw that Rossi came out with the Brawler recently. It’s essentially the tuffy but in pistol form chambered for .410/45lc.

I’ve been packing around my small break action 20ga for the off chance I flush a grouse deer hunting, but I’ve got half a mind to sell it and get one of these (or a judge) instead.

I’ve been toying with the idea of a threaded MkIII with a supressor to carry around during archery season for grouse.

Otherwise that little H&R looks like a winner.

I bought a Buckmark for that purpose, upgraded to a longer Tactical Solutions threaded barrel, great little pistol, still need to buy a suppressor though!

if you wouldn't pack your recommendation along the crest of this ridge, then it's not a suitable recommendation.
View attachment 296344
Well now you’re changing rules. To be honest, I’d pack anything on that ridge. Cheaper the better in case you drop it. Haha. I’d venture to guess not many grouse on that particular ridge anyway. Haha. If there was, you wouldn’t want much recoil. Might kick you off the edge.

Just funning obviously. Great picture

I have a Hawthorne bolt action 410.
I know it's made by someone else but it's one of the first firearms I ever purchased.
Has a Cherry wood stock. Super light!
I've shot many squirrels, rabbits, grouse, and a few pheasants with it.

I let my buddy carry it while doing some small game hunting, gosh that was a long time ago now.
He was teasing me about "only having a 410, and not a 12ga".
Walking the edge of a field, a groundhog went running in front of us.
He shot & ended up on his butt!
Man but we laughed at him!

Guys we're talking something you would pack on a 15 mile hike with 5k vert, 1.5k off trail scrambling over boulders. Something that's strapped to your pack most of the time
Sounds like a regular chukar hunt. You owe it to your self to get a fine, continental, 28 guage for those easy day chukar hunts:)

Back