Caribou Gear Tarp

Lightweight 410

Irrelevant

Went on a sporty 15 mile day hike. Saw many grouse. Missed many grouse with the kid's 22 cricket. Need 410 option. Needs to fit an adult. What should I get?

Go!

Reactions: Guy
I no way trying to dissuade a 410. Get one. But for next time you shoot the cricket try one of those slip on recoil pads that you can put foam inserts in. You can probably get it closer to an adult size length of pull with those. Maybe you’ll shoot it better?

Also the break action single shot 20ga like those mentioned aren’t to far off in weight and may be more versatile for other hunting (kid wants to wingshoot a pheasant someday, or wants to shoot a lot… much cheaper ammo)

Last edited:
I got a mossberg 500 in .410 for my grouse adventures. Fixed full choke, but very affordable and a real fun shotgun to shoot. I’ve been happy with it

So I already have a single shot .410 in ancient vintage similar to the steven's above. It runs +5 lbs. That cricket is just under 3 lbs. @Straight Arrow I like the idea, but that thing is over 6 lbs.

No .410 pistol recommendations yet?

I've only ever had one 410 and I love it. AyA Matador. Just went and weighted it and right at 5 3/4 lbs on my fish scale. You'd have to o used though I'm afraid.

Have you looked at 410 ammo recently. You'll need xray vision or an active imagination. VERY hard to find any. Seems to be a lot of pre-COVID 28 gauge still on the shelves. That would be a better option. Ammo is there but NOT cheap.

I put a full size stock on the bantam 410 I bought for my youngest daughter.

IMG_0959.png

I got a mossberg 500 in .410 for my grouse adventures. Fixed full choke, but very affordable and a real fun shotgun to shoot. I’ve been happy with it
Got my father in law one for Christmas a few years back. It’s a nice gun for the money.

I have a cheap single shot that I enjoy walking along the creek with.

Guys we're talking something you would pack on a 15 mile hike with 5k vert, 1.5k off trail scrambling over boulders. Something that's strapped to your pack most of the time

The bantam with an adult buttstock next to an 870 wingmaster and a 26” barrel.

It actually is a nice little deer slayer to walk the woods with. Can take a 3” magnum slug.
IMG_0972.jpeg

Went on a sporty 15 mile day hike. Saw many grouse. Missed many grouse with the kid's 22 cricket. Need 410 option. Needs to fit an adult. What should I get?

Go!
Cabelas in Owatonna have a .410 Marline for sail. kind of interesting. Why not a Wrist Rocket or similar?

Back