Ultralight Climbers

oxn939

While getting my life together for a public land whitetail effort this year, I noticed the X Stand X-1 climber I've been using for the past 5 or 6 years is starting to show some wear on the cables. Looks like it'll make it through this season, but it's now a 25 yard target to find a replacement. Apparently X Stand is out of business now, and the only other option I can find for an ultralight climbing treestand is to preorder Lone Wolf's soon-to-be offering... for, not kidding, a thousand bucks.

Are there any other options for a lightweight or ultralight climber I'm missing here, or has the world gone the way of climbing sticks and hang ons? I generally try to incorporate a pretty good hike into my hunts to get away from the crowds, so really looking for something under 15 pounds. Thanks in advance for any input!

You can definitely get to that weight with a hang on and sticks but it’ll probably still get you to the $1k mark

You can definitely get to that weight with a hang on and sticks but it’ll probably still get you to the $1k mark

Looool that is wild. I'm a poor grad student and don't see that any time in my future TBH

Switch to a saddle.

Might be the call. I've been trying to resist... but the advantages are convincing. Need to find one of these to test out some time

I don't think that's necessarily accurate.

I don't think that's necessarily accurate.

I have that stand and it works great, there are lighter options available. Never liked those sticks tho

@oxn939 if you are willing to learn how to one stick climb, you can get a hawk helium stick, a rock climbing harness, and an XOP Vanish Evo pretty cheap. Add a couple carabiners, a figure 8, and buy 30' of Sterling Canyon IV 9mm and some accessory cord for prusik knots, so you can rapel down.

Been a while since I've used a hang on, but climbers seem to be quicker and more mobile to set up which are both important to the kinda hunting I'd use it for. Might be those Novix dudes have streamlined things some since then, although 600 bucks for a hang on seems a bit silly.

Hand climber assault is what I have and have used for at least 5 or 6 years. It’s very light

Should have struck while the iron was hot. Sucks they discontinued them

Been a while since I've used a hang on, but climbers seem to be quicker and more mobile to set up which are both important to the kinda hunting I'd use it for.
I think you might be surprised if you put in the time to learn to use a hang on. I’d be surprised if you were much faster in a climber and you can put a hang on in almost any tree. There’s also quite a bit of difference in noise, the climbing sticks being way quieter in my experience.

I’m not knocking climbers, this is coming from someone who made that change a couple years ago.

If you do stick with a climber Summit is probably gonna offer you the most options for a decent price

I have a full Tethrd set up and I am north of 1K. The tree saddle is quick and easy. It is great for areas that require a legit hike into the spot.. However, my simple, Summit climber is much more comfortable for a long sit. It’s right at about 20 lbs. It’s not terrible to hike with, and I use a rock climbing harness with mine. You could buy a couple of cheaper hang on stands. Then use sticks to keep mobile once the stand is in place.

as long as you're not a fatass, this is the one.

Yeah I'm like a buck sixty hah and everything is build for that 300 pound capacity. If anyone has an assault hand climber they want to get rid of, let me know!

Yeah I'm like a buck sixty hah and everything is build for that 300 pound capacity. If anyone has an assault hand climber they want to get rid of, let me know!

Keep your eyes peeled. Youll find one. If not, that 2023 DAcquisto Series Crossover™ Climber looks pretty nice. Its $$$$ but it's nice. I like that you can get in close to the tree with it, but that seat looks awful. They should have just designed a flip up seat instead, but they were trying to cut down weight and I get that..

Keep your eyes peeled. Youll find one. If not, that 2023 DAcquisto Series Crossover™ Climber looks pretty nice. Its $$$$ but it's nice. I like that you can get in close to the tree with it, but that seat looks awful. They should have just designed a flip up seat instead, but they were trying to cut down weight and I get that..
I can’t believe the price on those things. I would go with my saddle before I would pay that for a climber that won’t work on every tree

Its $$$$ but it's nice.

From a macroeconomic perspective, Lone Wolf really missed the mark on that one. A grand for a climbing stand that probably costs about 50 bucks to produce is actually ludicrous... and they discontinued an excellent option at a much more reasonable price to poke dudes in the eye like that.

With how tight money is for most people right now, I'd be very surprised if they sell many of them. I'd go saddle or hang on before even considering it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back