Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Lightweight 410

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but this interests me in knowing; which is better for a grouse caliber? .410 or 28 gauge.

I like that Rossi that gun @Mica Man posted.

I’m hearing from others off the forum that the 28 is the way to go.

I was even considering the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but this interests me in knowing; which is better for a grouse caliber? .410 or 28 gauge.

I like that Rossi that gun @Mica Man posted.

I’m hearing from others off the forum that the 28 is the way to go.

I was even considering the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite.

🤷🏻‍♂️
My 2 cents- if you're hoping to opportunistically shoot grouse out of trees/ground pound on a hike or whatever, a 410 is perfect for that- great for headshots w/out much meat loss. If you're doing a lot of wing shooting for forest grouse (like out there flushing them with a dog)- they are hard to hit and you're taking shots through trees/vegetation. 28 or larger with more open chokes is the way to go, in my opinion. Any ol' shotgun will do though!

@neffa3 You shopping the interwebs hard now? We want to know how you ultimately solve your problem!

My 2 cents- if you're hoping to opportunistically shoot grouse out of trees/ground pound on a hike or whatever, a 410 is perfect for that- great for headshots w/out much meat loss. If you're doing a lot of wing shooting for forest grouse (like out there flushing them with a dog)- they are hard to hit and your taking shots through trees/vegetation. 28 or larger with more open chokes is the way to go, in my opinion. Any ol' shotgun will do though!

@neffa3 You shopping the interwebs hard now? We want to know how you ultimately solve your problem!
It's almost certainly going to be the tuffy based on everything including price. But I'm currently tits deep in other projects, too deep to take any action. I realized that grouse hunting the mountains is probably done for the year. Chukar is open. Deer opens Sat. Idaho after that...

a26c16f05efdc8f6f71fa373095c42f1.jpg

Yildiz TK-36
What’s the choke on that? For those with experience, what’s a reasonable range limit to shoot a stationary grouse with 410?
And how about you turkey slayers using tungsten? How far are reasonable limits on that?

What’s the choke on that? For those with experience, what’s a reasonable range limit to shoot a stationary grouse with 410?
And how about you turkey slayers using tungsten? How far are reasonable limits on that?
Idk the limit, but I've kept it to 20 with good results

If money isn’t a concern and planning on being a legacy gun, the Benelli Ultra Light 28 gauge is only 4.9lbs. 😳

That's not my gun pictured, but I have one done almost the same and have been killing gobblers with it since before factory TSS loads were available. There are some fine points to .410 TSS loading which have to be sorted through for optimal patterns. It's not necessary for sluicing a grouse anyhow.

That Yildiz had the barrel trimmed and a turkey choke installed by SumToy. They don't come threaded. Sometimes the factory full choke works well enough. Sometimes it needs a new one. If you get one, pattern it before sending it off.

I wouldn't risk cracking a tooth on a tungsten pellet while eating grouse. With Winchester's heavy load of 7.5s from that SumToy choke will provide a nice even pattern to 35 yards.

I would look at the mossberg 500 410 turkey model. Screw in chokes. I live in the south. I squirrel hunt alot. I crow and qauil hunt some with a 410 and 28ga.
Mossberg SA 410ga
Middle
Mossberg 500 410
Bottom
Tristar G2 Viper 28ga.
The turkey models only come with turkey choke. SA takes beretta mobil. 500 take inventor chokes. Tristar takes beretta mobil.
I have a Mossberg SA 28ga turkey gun on order. I loaded up 35 boxes 410 3 inch ammo. And 30 boxes 28ga ammo . Before season came in. Only way to shoot a 410 alot is to reload.
I turkey hunt with the 2 410's.
Indian Creek. 385's chokes
Apex Ninja 9.5 TSS loads.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303_222157_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_222157_Photos~2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members