Kitchen knife set

After buying cheap kitchen knives, several sets, my wife & i popped for Henckles and love them!!!
Quick steel & sharp as ever!!

I did buy a Victorinox ( think Swiss Army) 5 inch boning knife for butchering deer.
If they offer a kitchen knife set, i would be tempted on one of those too.

You know you really don't need a "set". You need a chef's knife, a paring knife, a slicing knife, and a boning knife. For the first three, Shun, the last, Victorinox. Shun sharpens forever and the difference between cutting is amazing. And buy a cleaver for heavy stuff.

I forgot to add, the Old Hickory line by Ontario Knife Co. punch way above their weight.

Very inexpensive on Amazon. They are carbon steel so they can’t go in the dishwasher, but they have a classic old knife feel.

Also, if you go that route, you can force a patina with a vinegar dip and they look awesome and will be more rust-resistant.

I’m of the not a set mentality. We’ve got a chefs knife, boning knife, a couple of paring knives from the local restaurant supply store. Once a year I take them to get sharpened, and buy some bandaids. There is also a drawer full of crap, including some Paula Dean knives we bought at Walmart. They’re the Japanese shaped blade that I can’t spell. Surprisingly ok knives, but tough to wash. It’s almost impossible to get the butter off them.

Our current 'good enough' is a variety of Sabatier forged with the *Edgekeeper covers with the small pinch sharpener in the cover ...about 20 bucks apiece. Non dishwasher safe, do a pretty good job.

My old man cut meat for a lot of years. A bunch of my family members received knife sets similar to this for wedding presents, and i did too. You just can't go wrong with the old Forschner blades. There is a reason they are the industry standard. I don't have a butcher blocker for them, but I love these knives!! They aren't fancy or gorgeous, but they get the job done, take an edge, and are easy to sharpen.

The 8" chef knife is used daily at our house. Touched up with a steel occasionally, it keeps cuts clean. We haven't needed to put it on the wet stone yet, and our 17th anniversary is in a few weeks. Can't complain about that!

20230101_121946.jpg

Just paid $110 for a 15pc henckle set thats normally $378.

$150 for a $657 set just ordered. Didn't need the steak knives but the set without cost the same! I have a Wustoff set that is pretty good but I have a hard time getting them as sharp as I would like.

Thanks for the link!

Wife and I received a set of Henkel knives 22 years ago as wedding present. She recently upgraded to Wisthof Ikon and really likes them. The Wusthof knives do feel better balanced in my hand and the blades are very sharp. We’ll see how the hold an edge and resharpen

$150 for a $657 set just ordered. Didn't need the steak knives but the set without cost the same! I have a Wustoff set that is pretty good but I have a hard time getting them as sharp as I would like.

Thanks for the link!
I was very tempted by that set as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back