Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Kitchen knife set

rustneversleeps

Looking for ideas/personal recommendations on a steak/kitchen knife set? I’ve got so many shitty knives in the drawers, at this point I don’t mind spending money on quality and long term knives if anyone has ideas. Thanks guys

I friendly argued with my wife for a while about not buying Cutco knives. Then she finally talked me into it. I was the idiot. They are as sharp or sharper out of the box than I can get a knife and hold an edge too. To boot, they have a lifetime warranty and free lifetime sharpening. No complaints on my part.

I friendly argued with my wife for a while about not buying Cutco knives. Then she finally talked me into it. I was the idiot. They are as sharp or sharper out of the box than I can get a knife and hold an edge too. To boot, they have a lifetime warranty and free lifetime sharpening. No complaints on my part.

I’ve got two of the Cutco filet knives (the adjustable length models) have sent them both in for Res gardening over the decade plus I’ve had them. $5 shipping total to/from and cut like brand new. Even replaced the handle grip on one, I didn’t even ask.

Second the Henkel set. I got a mid grade about $400 knife set and they work perfect!

That’s about the grade I have, got them years ago when a local restaurant supply store folded, about $250 then. A new Enso set “on sale” is about tripe that but damn they’re nice!

We still use the Chicago Cutlery set we got when we married in '85. Added one of those Japanese style chefs knives (had been on the wall display in the local hardware so long the plastic was yellowed to the point you could barely read the label through it), and with my belt sharpener the knives are great.

David
NM

I’ve got two of the Cutco filet knives (the adjustable length models) have sent them both in for Res gardening over the decade plus I’ve had them. $5 shipping total to/from and cut like brand new. Even replaced the handle grip on one, I didn’t even ask.
I’ve been underwhelmed by my Cutco stuff. My adjustable filet knife slides and doesn’t hold the blade in place. Also find them dull. I’m always sharpening them.

I like my Zwilling Henkel’s set a lot. They sharpen super easy and have a thinner blade. Cut like all hell with a quick clean up on the sharpening steel.

We have a Anolon set in kitchen as it matches perfect. The japanese steel is nice but not exceptional, for the price point its perfect. All the knifes hold better than average edge and resharpen easy. Block design was a big plus for our choice. Its only kitchen use which is not extreme needs for my family as it aint hard to cut a steak or some veggies. I have a couple better knifes in butcher tables that do all actual heavy meat cutting.

after years of crummy walmart block knives, l built all of the knives that we use in the kitchen, l would like to build a steak knife set in the future. just like anything, you have to pay for quality l have heard great things about henckel knives.

the one on the right is a nichols file that l forged into a kind of utiliy/chef knife hybrid with a purple heart handle, the middle is a 1084 bar stock blade forged into a recurved carving knife with a ebony handle, and the one on the left is an ulu pattern forged out of an old leaf spring with an ebony handle. they all had a mirror finish on them but have since patinaed with use.

Attachments

• KIMG0216.JPG
    KIMG0216.JPG
    462.2 KB · Views: 17
I’ve been underwhelmed by my Cutco stuff. My adjustable filet knife slides and doesn’t hold the blade in place. Also find them dull. I’m always sharpening them.

I like my Zwilling Henkel’s set a lot. They sharpen super easy and have a thinner blade. Cut like all hell with a quick clean up on the sharpening steel.

The one adjustable slid like your saying, the cam-over didn’t hold it tight. That’s the handle they replaced without my asking.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back