Judging Pronghorn

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Spent some time going through my tons of pronghorn pics today, trying to see what some of the live bucks looked like and then what they looked like once they were on the deck. I must be bored. More likely, I am in research mode and I was scouring the draw odds and harvest data for WY and NV pronghorn today. Need to find a NV unit that will give a tag to a NR with only two points.

Easy to see how easy it is to misjudge pronghorn, depending upon the angle. Probably more so than any other animal. A whopper elk looks like a huge elk, no matter the angle. Whether from the side or the front, a big deer looks big. From behind, looks even bigger.

Then there are pronghorns. Depending upon the way their horns angle, either straight ahead and bladed looking or flared to the sides, the side view can be very deceiving. Length can be easily disguised by really good mass. A deep hook in or back adds a lot more length than one expects. And, the difference in a big buck is not a huge amount of inches from a really nice buck.

The buck I shot in Wyoming this year really illustrates this fact. When I look at the side angle, I can see why the hunters in the truck ahead of me decided to pass on the buck. They did get some other views, so maybe the side view threw them off and they thought they were overestimating when they were presented the other view.

These are pics at about 400 yards with my 42X Nikon, so I apologize for how grainy they are.

I doubt anyone would shoot this buck from this side view.
DSCN1136.JPG

Then, when you see him straight on, he looks a lot more appealing.
DSCN1135.JPG

Until he looks at a quartering too angle, you really can't get a good feel for his prongs or make a judgement as to his total mass, as shown here.
DSCN1134.JPG

He is one of those bucks with horns canted to a 45 degree angle from straight on, making him look thin from the sides and also hides his prong length. He also has a big hayhook that curls in, making his length from the side look like maybe 13", rather than the 16/16.5" that he is.

Looking at these pics, it makes me wonder how many really good bucks I might have walked away from. Probably a lot more than I would like to admit.
IMG952715_2.jpg

In the Season One Fresh Track episode of Wyoming antelope, I looked at a buck that Mark ended up shooting. The first day, I saw him really close, like around 250 yards. I looked him over and took a ton of pics. Not until I pulled them up on the computer that night did I realize how bad I misjudged the buck. Using the "eyeball" technique from Grimmett's "Size Matters" DVD, I suspected I underestimated the mass. And if I missed on the mass, I concluded I probably missed on the length.

That night at dinner, all I could talk about was how I screwed that up and the buck probably got smoked by someone else that day. I apologized to Mark. Thankfully, we went looking for him and found him at daylight the next morning. Mark made a great shot and had an 80.5" buck to show for it. Whew, that could have been embarrassing. :eek:

I'm going to dig out some others of bucks I know there score and for which we have "on the hoof" pics. Nothing better to do with a winter evening.

You wouldn't have to worry about me letting that one go either. I would have just been a little less nervous being ignorant of how good he really was.

Other than the mass judgement I would've automatically said 15 + inches and decent prongs. I've always first judged an antelopes horns in compairison to their ears. Where you loose on an antelope is mass above the prong.

I would have taken the first good shot presented, no questions asked. I'm sure I'd have been pleasantly surprised that he was bigger than I thought.

This is a good post Randy. I have a speed goat on the wall that I passed on 3 different days. He wound up getting hurt by another buck and was in real bad shape. He wouldn't have made the winter and the end of the season was getting near so I decided to take him. He ended up scoring 82 . I knew he was fairly tall but had no idea his mass was as good as it was..

In my book, Antelope are the hardest to judge. So I just decided to go by "wall appeal ". If I think he'll look good on my wall, I shoot him!! Still haven't broke 80" though :)

When I see a buck at long distance the amount of black on the head is what makes me take notice. Often times if the buck is not on the skyline or in snow you don't get a real good way to determine the length other than comparing the horns to the ears. If I see a lot of black on his face he is good enough for me.

Nope, pretty sure it's impossible.

I think it's a pretty good sign that I don't know what I'm doing when I shoot bigger bucks on hunts where I have to shoot the first mature buck I see, then on the hunt where I get my pick of 200+ bucks.

I could only wish to have such problems facing me...............But, really. 1st: BANG ! 2nd: "Oh lookie . He's bigger than I thought" !!!

I'm planning on hunting WY this year with my wife and daughter. I plan on letting them pick the buck that gets them excited. I"m holding out for something bigger than what I have seen here in ID. There have only been 3 or so bucks here that I have seen that are shoot now, albeit I usually don't have a tag or its during deer season.

Could anyone post up bucks that are mid 70's (74-76) to compare to what Fin posted?

That is a real deceiving buck from some of the pictures. I am currently developing the "Eli Grimmett" pocket hunting doll though. Small enough to carry but sage enough to tell you to pass or shoot :D

I'm planning on hunting WY this year with my wife and daughter. I plan on letting them pick the buck that gets them excited. I"m holding out for something bigger than what I have seen here in ID. There have only been 3 or so bucks here that I have seen that are shoot now, albeit I usually don't have a tag or its during deer season.

Could anyone post up bucks that are mid 70's (74-76) to compare to what Fin posted?

Here's one http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=248854&highlight=Oregon+Antelope

Here are a couple that would be in that range. Some maybe a bit toward the top end of that range.

A Wyoming buck with good mass and decent prongs. Probably not much over 14". Figured he was close to 76".
IMG_4358.JPG

A 2.5 year-old AZ buck that has everything going for him at that age. Body size, he was about the same size as the does he was running with, making me think he was 2.5 years old. This was in 2013. I suspect he was a really good buck in 2014, if his mass, especially upper mass, and prongs continued developing in proportion to what they were in this pic. If he survived 2014, he will be a B&C buck in 2015. I expect to see him on Grimmett's website this next season.
DSCN0493.JPG

This buck was ground checked. Just over 74", once the tape was put on him. Hardly any length. Very good upper and lower mass.
IMG_1738.JPG

A really nice buck that is pushing 15". Just not enough mass to get him much above 74".
P1140443.JPG

A mature buck, but needs more top mass. He is probably 14.5" and good prongs. When you look at the driver's side horn, you can see he is bladed, not very wide. A nice 75" buck with a classic look. I'd shoot him on a lot of tags.
P1140477.JPG

A mature buck that only looked 12", if that, from the side. Then, when he turned and looked straight at us, with this big hook, I tried to put an arrow in him, thinking he might be pushing 15" with that curl. I was guessing he was 76" with that hook and that mass.
P1140502.JPG

A buck I think was 3.5 years old. 15", but with weak prongs. OK mass that looks better than it is, due to both horns blending into one. Figured him around 75". I had hoped he would come to the blind and let me shoot him. He didn't. Ended up with one later that day that was very close to the same configuration, but with better prongs and slightly better mass.
P1140642.JPG

Young buck. Small body and smaller head. Great lower mass for a young buck. He will be 3.5 years old in 2015. I suspect he will get shot this year and be over 80". Hopefully shot by me when I draw this archery tag.
DSCN1015.JPG

Thanks Fin for posting some pics. I'm not going to be too picky, if I see any antelope that look like any of the ones you shared, I'm shooting.

BC- Great antelope your wife shot, thanks for the link.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back